• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The House of Pain

Floodj32

I have two 175 Opto Pain's and I have my opinion about them. Tell what you think of the disc. Strong points, weak points, or general comments are welcomed.

I'm interested to see what others think about them as well. So far, I'm liking them for flex shots and wind duty. We've had blizzard conditions here in North Texas :lol: so I haven't gotten a lot of time with them.

I have a couple 176g Optos. I really like them. I think that they may be hard to get used to if you are a hyzer-flip type of thrower. Mine are truly 0 HSS, and wont turn at all. If I want them fly straight and fade, I have to make sure I throw them perfectly flat, cause otherwise they are just gonna hyzer hard the whole way. This actually isn't a bad thing, cause it really forces me to learn to control my release. They are also nice for flex shots, when I want an anhyzer release, and a predictable fade back left. They don't have a weird, sudden fade, but a consistent strong forward fade. The GOOD kind of fade.

I find them to be fairly fast, too. I can get them out there slightly farther than my Buzzzes a lot of the time. I think if you're looking for something that will hold a stronger hyzer line than your Buzzz, or a mid you can throw confidently in the wind, these are a great choice.

Got in a round and a few hours of field work today and brought my light 166 and 176 opto pains to compare. Everything Ryan said was right on. Gotta release flat. Had tons of fun flexing them out. They fade HARD but predominately forward, so it doesn't rob distance like q sent's did for me. Threw them in 10mph head winds and didn't notice any change in flight. I was getting some decent skips with them too. I did not notice any difference between the two different weights. The flight plates are on the softer side of opto and I feel that it helps me get a nice rip with em. The mix of opto that all of my pains are made out of is super grippy. I can get my fuses out to 300 on a good rip and I was getting the pains out to about 280 on a flat throw, just for reference.

Man you guys are making me pray for good weather/conditions to try my Pains out. Also, I want to put my vote in to change the thread title to "The House of Pain".

Floodj32 said:
I have two 175 Opto Pain's and I have my opinion about them.

Are you going to share? Otherwise this is a pretty voyeuristic thread.

discspeed said:
Floodj32 said:

Fair enough. It is the midrange I was waiting for, the Fuse and Core are bit to understable for my liking so I have been using a buzzz (closest thing I could find to what I wanted, although my next move was to try the Hornet). But the buzzz does not always have a fade I can depend on. When thrown with good snap the Pain will hold the line and have a consistant dependable fade. The fade is not over exaggerated and carries forward momentum. I have noticed that it is an ok headwind disc. Weak to moderate headwinds are ok, but a really windy day and I would not throw it into a head wind if I needed the disc to finish hyzer. I am particularly happy with the amount of glide the disc has, especially for how stable it is. I find the pain to be very comfortable in my hand, even more so than my Roc's or Buzzz's. My home course is very wooded and so some of the fairways are very tight. I am able hit my lines very consitently with the Pain, and thus keeps my frustration down. So you could say that the pain is a stress reducer for my life. What a bonus, a disc with added health benefits. We all know what stress can do to the bodies health. Anyway, back to the disc. When thrown with hyzer it will hold a fade throughout the entire flight. Since it has a good amount of glide the disc will still get good distance and not hyzer out and dive on you. Since I do not use flex shots I can not speak to how the pain performs in this role, but everything I have seen others post is that it does well.

I am anxious to see how the disc seasons. I hope they stay on the stable side even after taking a lot of abuse, in my case trees. I will post again with my findings as the disc beats in, since it seems I am one of the very few people on this site that aren't snowed in.

Tried mine out today.
The opto was nice and flew great, but a bit sharp on the edge. Gotta grind that down...
The gold was great! Threw a nice forehand with it that, even tho it faded quite hard, skipped nice for extra distance.
Havent thrown em enough to give a review yet, but the first impression is really positive!

discspeed said:
Floodj32 said:

I shared, what about you Discspeed. Have you thrown the Pain yet?

Floodj32 said:
discspeed said:
Floodj32 said:

I got to throw one a few times this weekend. It was a teal GL and weighed 176. First of all, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere how much like a Roc this disc is. In my hand, it felt more like a Roc than a Wasp does. This GL disc was shaped like a perfect Roc with a very nice and even dome. It also flew exactly like a Roc...but not as stable as you guys describe your Optos to be. It had a gentle hyzer pull for it's low speed fade, and it kicked in early like a newish Roc as the disc slowed. The GL I threw however had negative HSS when thrown hard. It was pushing out of it's hyzer angle a little when I was trying to throw it over 300'. I didn't find it to be as fast as my 2FR Buzzzes, rather closer to Roc/Wasp speed. It did glide really nice...better than premium Rocs.

The pain and the Hornet fly nothing alike...The Hornet is much faster, more stable, and driver-like in it's flight characteristics.

I agree that the Hornet is faster, but I dont think more stable. You should maybe try an Opto. GL are almost always less stable. My Pains are VERY stable. Definitely more stable than a Roc.

discspeed said:
Floodj32 said:
discspeed said:
Floodj32 said:

I got to throw one a few times this weekend. It was a teal GL and weighed 176. First of all, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere how much like a Roc this disc is. In my hand, it felt more like a Roc than a Wasp does. This GL disc was shaped like a perfect Roc with a very nice and even dome. It also flew exactly like a Roc...but not as stable as you guys describe your Optos to be. It had a gentle hyzer pull for it's low speed fade, and it kicked in early like a newish Roc as the disc slowed. The GL I threw however had negative HSS when thrown hard. It was pushing out of it's hyzer angle a little when I was trying to throw it over 300'. I didn't find it to be as fast as my 2FR Buzzzes, rather closer to Roc/Wasp speed. It did glide really nice...better than premium Rocs.

The pain and the Hornet fly nothing alike...The Hornet is much faster, more stable, and driver-like in it's flight characteristics.

I actually prefer the Opto Plastic over the GL anyway, it feels better to me. I hope the Opto will break in to have a little bit of turn like you described with the GL. That would allow me to carry 1 mold for midrange duties.

I picked up a nice bright green 177 opto to play around with recently. Was immediately surprised at how Roc-like it felt, but better yet, when throwing it I felt like it flew just like I always wanted a champ roc / wasp to fly. That is, stable but with tons of great glide (it's nice and long). This one has my vote!

O' I love the Pain and it completes my bag. To me the speed is more like a 5 and not a 4. I'm throwing both opto and goldline 176...the challenging thing for me is deciding to which plastic stays in my bag; for now I'm leaning towards the goldine and it maybe b/c all but one discs in my bag are goldline plastic.

I favorite throw thus far is a flex shot. I love watching it glide, sloooooowly standing up and then flexing. I've only spent about half an hour experimenting and used it for 2 rounds of 18 in league play. Great disc!

What's your favorite shot?