• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The House of Pain

Yesterday I finally got to play my first round of the year, and spent some time pratice throwing several new discs. It was very gusty at the local course. But so far, I LOVE the Pain. The farthest I have thrown a roc so far is about 250ft. The farthest I've thrown a Buzzz so far is about 260ft. My first teeshot with my 175 dayglo green/yellow Opto went about 270ft. My first throw with my 176 magenta GL went about the same. Both disc seemed to perform equally. And they seemed to get out there quickly. It didn't look like it was really going as far as it did. It also flew very well for me on powered down approaches. I need some more rounds with my Pains, with different or no winds, but so far they hurt so good! I honestly am expecting that they will kick my Champ Roc out of my bag. I liked what I saw from the Hornet too, but the Pain (at least so far) was just better and more consistent.

Somebody please post pictures of the Pain´s rim. Or atleast compare it to something else. :|

Also I would love to hear what category it falls in. Is it a speedy Roc with extra HSS, so kinda like the GM? Or what?

I have a Classic Roc, an MD2 and a GM in my bag, which one would Pain replace? Or would it fill a hole I havent yet covered? (no puns needed :D )

Would it be more wind resistant than f.e. the GM? So I could have it as a wind fighter/huge hyzer disc?

I'd have to throw mine more before I'd be able to really answer that. But in general I tend to overtorque my midranges when throwing teeshots with them. I sometimes turn and burn my Champ Roc. And for me (it was windy) the Pain turned a little bit after my release, then straightened out, then faded just a little to end up relatively straight down the fairway for how I aimed it. My form sucks, so I'm not the best to describe. But on my Champ Roc, I have to throw a hyzer flip to avoid it turning too much generally. But with the Pain I was trying to throw it flat instead of with hyzer. So to me, either the Pain is that much more overstable than the Roc, or the Pain is more resistent to my massive OAT. Either way, right now I'm loving the Pain A LOT!

I only got about 4 rounds in with my Pains, 166 Opto and 168 GL, before I hit the DG DL. But they are the first overstable midrange that I have had an easy time hitting flex shots with. Flex shots in the woods have been a weakness of mine, so the Pain will definitely stay in the bag. I also agree with the previous forward fade comments. Nice glide, and definitely not a one-trick pony.

I'm really liking the pain as well. Here's an unnecessary comparison for you folks. It's like the eagle of mid-ranges. It loves going straight with dependable fade. It'll work lines really well. It has dependable lss that kicks in late and not too hard. Stands up to a headwind quite well. And finally, it can and will become a staple of many peoples' bags.

I am just blown away by how much fun they are to throw. I keep thinking that I'll want my nice stable rocs back in the bag, but it hasn't happened yet. Like the Fuse, this mold won't be leaving my bag anytime soon.

Rim pics pls. :|

I cant find any pics of the rim in the net, and Pain isnt available here yet. :cry:

* Nevermind, managed to find some in another thread, cant beilieve I had missed it...

How would you compare the Pain to other discs, grip-wise? What disc does it remind you when you grip it?
Also is there a significant stability difference between Opto and Gold plastics? I was thinking of getting Opto in max weight for wind fighting duties, and Gold in 170ish for straighter shots, to possibly replace my GM.

Still have to wait for more than a week to get one :cry: ... Thats why I´m pestering you fair folk with all these questions. :wink:

Earlier in this thread, someone compares grip to a roc. I feel like it is pretty accurate, but maybe just a tad deeper and beefier. For me, they feel great and I get a good clean release with them, but I have been throwing rocs for a while. I have an opto that is 166 and an opto that is 176 and so far, there is not an appreciable difference in stability between them. I have them both in the bag rotating them on shots to see how/if they beat in.

Loop said:
Rim pics pls. :|

I cant find any pics of the rim in the net, and Pain isnt available here yet. :cry:

* Nevermind, managed to find some in another thread, cant beilieve I had missed it...

How would you compare the Pain to other discs, grip-wise? What disc does it remind you when you grip it?
Also is there a significant stability difference between Opto and Gold plastics? I was thinking of getting Opto in max weight for wind fighting duties, and Gold in 170ish for straighter shots, to possibly replace my GM.

Still have to wait for more than a week to get one :cry: ... Thats why I´m pestering you fair folk with all these questions. :wink:

I have 176 red opto and teal gl and they are beautiful discs, especially the teal. I grip is comparable to the roc; I always get a nice clean rip and I love the snapping sound that's created when it rips out of your fingers :D I have not seen a difference in stability in either one; they both fight head wind exceptionally well (20-30 mph)-they're practically identical in that comparison. Depending on your shot selection they'll fly low and straight w/the dependable fade, or a nice long hyzer shot, or my favorite, the flex shot-it's beautiful to watch it glide and slowly flex out as it continues to move forward. I've played 2 rounds at leagues with it and plus another 81 rounds of casual play, not including me practicing situational shots. My problem is deciding which one stays in the bag. If you still want pics of the rim, let me know. I'll can get shots of the opto one; my teal gl is sent away to get dye...it'll come back with the wolverine (comic book hero) on it probably next week sometime :mrgreen:

khmer said:
I have 176 red opto and teal gl and they are beautiful discs, especially the teal. I grip is comparable to the roc; I always get a nice clean rip and I love the snapping sound that's created when it rips out of your fingers :D I have not seen a difference in stability in either one; they both fight head wind exceptionally well (20-30 mph)-they're practically identical in that comparison. Depending on your shot selection they'll fly low and straight w/the dependable fade, or a nice long hyzer shot, or my favorite, the flex shot-it's beautiful to watch it glide and slowly flex out as it continues to move forward. I've played 2 rounds at leagues with it and plus another 81 rounds of casual play, not including me practicing situational shots. My problem is deciding which one stays in the bag. If you still want pics of the rim, let me know. I'll can get shots of the opto one; my teal gl is sent away to get dye...it'll come back with the wolverine (comic book hero) on it probably next week sometime :mrgreen:

Yeah, pics would be more than welcome. :) Since the one pic of the rim I found in the net, was really blurry. So couldnt really make out much from of it. :|

I wonder which plastic would be better then, if they have the same stability? I´ve never tried any of the Lat64 plastics. :shock:

Being that you've never thrown Lat 64, it's hard to say which plastic to go with. I can tell you all the discs in my bag are gold line plastic except for one (opto xXx); I use gl b/c I like the grip, it's grippier than opto, plus normally it has better glide-which is what I want. Initially it may come down to getting each plastic then assessing which one you like, then go from there. Enjoy the pics and let me know if you like more.
280jxiv.jpg

n4ij4w.jpg

t5nejb.jpg

Very nice pics, thanks a bunch! :D

I hate to say this, but if you could just get one more pic. Try holding the disc vertical (flat), so we could see the rim shape better. :)

Also is the inner wall of the rim a bit slanted, or am I imagining? :?

Yes, the inner rim is a little slanted. It helps the clean release; it feels great in the hands.

29kqk54.jpg

Thats look mildly similar to a Roc, I might have to check this disc out since it is hard to get my hands on a Champ Roc. Thanks for the hookup on the pix man.

Yeah, great pics! And the final one really gives a good idea of the rim. :)

Too bad about the slanted rim tho, I so dont enjoy those, but thats just me...

Atleast I have to test one out before buying. Who knows, maybe I´ll end up liking it.

8)