• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The House of Pain

I recieved 6 more Pains in the mail today. 3 178 Optos and 3 178 Gold Lines. The first thing I did was run out to the school yard and give'em a toss. I noticed that the 3 GL were substantially more stable than the 3 Optos. So I drove home and got my two older Opto Pains that are in my bag so I could compare them to the new ones to make sure. The same results, all of the GLs are much more stable than the Optos. Has anyone esle found this to be true? Generally I have found the opposite to be true, that Opto plastic is more stable than GL. The Pain seems to be an acception, atleast for me.

I checked the PLH and they are the same as far I can tell with the naked eye.

My 174 Opto Pain came in today. Suffice it to say, if you're looking for a Roc in pretty premium plastic without paying premium Roc prices, this disc is for you. No bead though, if you're in love with beads. I didn't notice the slanted inner rim either but I throw Fuses a lot so...

BrotherDave said:
My 174 Opto Pain came in today. Suffice it to say, if you're looking for a Roc in pretty premium plastic without paying premium Roc prices, this disc is for you. No bead though, if you're in love with beads. I didn't notice the slanted inner rim either but I throw Fuses a lot so...
I have a 175g San Marino Roc that is butter soft and pulls on my finger just at release. My Opto 176g Pain requires a pinch grip or it will slip out and release early. I like each dis, but they kinda have different uses. For one thing, I can pound the Pain for distance and get exactly what I desire, the Roc, not so much.

How is the dome on optos compared to GLs? The dome on my GLs I just received is indeed nice and even, just got one throw in without any warm up, but it seems like a great disc and I love the feel of it.

turso said:
How is the dome on optos compared to GLs? The dome on my GLs I just received is indeed nice and even, just got one throw in without any warm up, but it seems like a great disc and I love the feel of it.
I can't see any difference in the parting line between the two, but would consider them both domey. You have to pinch the rim a little harder than say you would a Roc, but you can really crank it out there and it has a nice forward releasing fade at the end. Enjoy the PAIN!

After four rounds i'd like to list some observations I have about the 176g. opto pain I've bought. First it should be known that all I throw is rocs for midrange for my 3-4 years of throwing (one beat dx rancho, one 2004 super roc). I throw these around 280-300. The dx is for any line and the super roc is for overstable/slight headwind shots (never lived up to what I wanted in heavy winds). This is why i'm trying the pain.

In my opinion the pain feels more substantial in the hand than a rancho. To me it closely resembles the feel of a San Marino. Although it has no beed it has a little deeper rim to the flight plate than that of a rancho. Speed wise they are very close with the pain beeing a bit faster (think 4.5 on Innovas scale). Flight wise there is a bit of difference though. The pain is obviously more overstable. Because of the speed the pain can get a bit more distance than the roc. It also has more of a skip when it lands than that of the rocs which tend to grab where they land. The pain so far has been able to handle some pretty good wind. Where my super roc would flip up and go straight and barely fade left my pain will stay on the hyzer. With good form thrown straight the pain will hold the line and predictably fade left at the end. It even can my full strength rips and can even handle some sidearm action. So far to me the pain seems like a good overstable midrange compliment to the roc. The only thing that bothers me right now seems to be the skip.

The Grump said:
After four rounds i'd like to list some observations I have about the 176g. opto pain I've bought. First it should be known that all I throw is rocs for midrange for my 3-4 years of throwing (one beat dx rancho, one 2004 super roc). I throw these around 280-300. The dx is for any line and the super roc is for overstable/slight headwind shots (never lived up to what I wanted in heavy winds). This is why i'm trying the pain.

In my opinion the pain feels more substantial in the hand than a rancho. To me it closely resembles the feel of a San Marino. Although it has no beed it has a little deeper rim to the flight plate than that of a rancho. Speed wise they are very close with the pain beeing a bit faster (think 4.5 on Innovas scale). Flight wise there is a bit of difference though. The pain is obviously more overstable. Because of the speed the pain can get a bit more distance than the roc. It also has more of a skip when it lands than that of the rocs which tend to grab where they land. The pain so far has been able to handle some pretty good wind. Where my super roc would flip up and go straight and barely fade left my pain will stay on the hyzer. With good form thrown straight the pain will hold the line and predictably fade left at the end. It even can my full strength rips and can even handle some sidearm action. So far to me the pain seems like a good overstable midrange compliment to the roc. The only thing that bothers me right now seems to be the skip.

I'd like to think some of the skip will go away after some beating. Anyone here have one they've played with long enough to see how these beat in?

Mine has taken some hits against a rock wall and a concrete wall. The opto plastic scuffed up but showed no visible chipping or gashes the way todays champion/quantum does. The area of the disc that contacts the ground has no damage. This is my first Lat. disc and my first experience with opto plastic. It may be the most damage resistant champion type of plastic (speaking of this years stuff). My hope is that when it breaks in it will break into a longer straighter disc that retains it HSS and at least 80% LSS. Then it will be flying more "roc like".

Sean40474 said:
I'd like to think some of the skip will go away after some beating. Anyone here have one they've played with long enough to see how these beat in?

I have a 176 and a 166 that I am throwing concurrently, to figure out just how they will beat in. After 4 weeks worth of playing time, the only difference that I've noticed is that the lss fade is kicking in a taaad bit later than it did when new and deflashed. I imagine it will take quite some time for one of these bad boys to beat in substantially.

Sounds like they're doing just the thing I want them to do, sweet. Gotta get couple of optos as well when I got the monies again...

Anybody thrown some 160s Pains much? I like a light mid that's very HSS for wooded tunnel holes.

BrotherDave said:
Anybody thrown some 160s Pains much? I like a light mid that's very HSS for wooded tunnel holes.
Thats an interesting thought, i've been throwing 176gm as a replacement for using Roc's and Buzz's at heavier weights. I can't believe the distance I am able to get with the pain. Now you have me wondering about lightening up and seeing just how far i can push the envelope.

My GL Pain was working some magic for me yesterday in the wind. Really, really liking the Pain/Fuse combo for my mid selection. With both of them in the bag I don't miss the Core at all. I threw my Pain into a stiff head wind yesterday and it flew on a frozen rope right down the tunnel fading left a bit towards the basket after clearing the double mando. Perfect shot for the hole.

I'm expecting to get my Vectors in the mail any day now and from what I'm reading they'll be a bit like the pain. They'll have to be pretty special to kick the Pain out as it is cause I'm loving how the pain fits in there.

Latest posts