• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The House of Pain

The only difference between my 166 and 176 opto's is that the flight plate on the 166 has more give or is less rigid. For me, they fly the same.

Interesting, I thought they might be less overstablde. I trie an opto one in 170g and it was considerably straighter and less fady than my 178g GLs.

FWIW, the plh's and domes are the same for the two 176's and the two 166's I have. I would imagine there will be some variation like with most Lat discs, but I was actually disappointed that the lighter weights weren't straighter/longer. I felt a 176 GL the other day at the store that felt so much more grippy than my optos. I'm kind of frustrated that I got 4 optos without trying a GL. Oh well.

I have a 177 GL and it isn't as stable as I expected. Awesome plastic and nice predictable fade, but not stable enough in wind.

I've now tested 2 GLs (mauve/teal) and a merlot Opto...All were 177-178. I used to throw a lot of Champ Sharks, and the Pain really reminded me of those. Very nicely overstable, yet nothing about the flight is harsh. None of the 3 were as HSS or LSS as any of the 15 or so Vectors I've thrown. The Vectors seem faster and fade earlier and harder. The Pains were much straighter overall and more affected by the wind. On full power throws all of the Pains I threw had a touch of -HSS.

discspeed said:
I've now tested 2 GLs (mauve/teal) and a merlot Opto...All were 177-178. I used to throw a lot of Champ Sharks, and the Pain really reminded me of those. Very nicely overstable, yet nothing about the flight is harsh. None of the 3 were as HSS or LSS as any of the 15 or so Vectors I've thrown. The Vectors seem faster and fade earlier and harder. The Pains were much straighter overall and more affected by the wind. On full power throws all of the Pains I threw had a touch of -HSS.

I found just the opposite last night in my field work with the vectors and pains. I had a much easier time placing my shots with the pains than the vectors in the wind. Mind you it was my first real time with the vectors so I'll have to give them some more work to see which ends up with the spot in the bag. But for now the Pains definitely have it over the Vectors.

what'shisname said:
discspeed said:

I found just the opposite last night in my field work with the vectors and pains. I had a much easier time placing my shots with the pains than the vectors in the wind. Mind you it was my first real time with the vectors so I'll have to give them some more work to see which ends up with the spot in the bag. But for now the Pains definitely have it over the Vectors.

I feel the same way. The Pain is just about as overstable a disc as I really have any desire to carry. It's almost perfect for what I wanted in an "overstable mid". Seriously enjoying that addition to my bag, another Latitude home run imo.

Jeronimo said:
what'shisname said:
discspeed said:

I feel the same way. The Pain is just about as overstable a disc as I really have any desire to carry. It's almost perfect for what I wanted in an "overstable mid". Seriously enjoying that addition to my bag, another Latitude home run imo.

Jeronimo---You still found the Vector to be more overstable than the Pain though, correct? I just did a FB review of the Pain for CDGS based on my throws with 2 different GLs and an Opto and I want to make sure I wasn't unlucky enough to get 3 discs that were consistently unrepresentative of the mold. I do think the Pain's out of the box stability is more useful all around than a new Vector, which is more OVERstable. By the time I get a Vector broken in to that point it will be dominating my mid shots...and I will have a new one to use for wind.

Interesting, yet another mold with some variability =)

The two copper coloured ones I have are both identical in stability. Otherwise they're identical to the stablest vector I've thrown, but they're bit more harsher when the fade kicks in.

Yeah, I've been throwing those and they're pretty much like what I'd imagine a less gyroscopic Vector to fly like (not as gradual in it's movements).

EDIT: The lighter Opto I threw was way less overstable.

I have one quite domey 172g Opto Pain and without flash it has less HSS at full speed than I thougt. I think its more like -1 than 0 and the fade is still there. When there is heavy headwind I consider it a bit unpredictable when thrown flat, in my case it could turn so much that it comes down and roll. I have noticed that my Z Buzzz can be more easy to control in headwind than Pain, which is a shame. I hope that my new pink 180g C-line MD2 have more HSS than Pain....

discspeed said:
Jeronimo---You still found the Vector to be more overstable than the Pain though, correct? I just did a FB review of the Pain for CDGS based on my throws with 2 different GLs and an Opto and I want to make sure I wasn't unlucky enough to get 3 discs that were consistently unrepresentative of the mold. I do think the Pain's out of the box stability is more useful all around than a new Vector, which is more OVERstable. By the time I get a Vector broken in to that point it will be dominating my mid shots...and I will have a new one to use for wind.

Yarp. You really haven't posted a review yet that I didn't agree with. Your game and my game would appear to be at similar levels (not including putting :cry: ) and I think that's the main reason why I typically agree.

As far as the Pain's go, it's way too early to tell if there are anomalies and/or oddities out there. Aside from warpage during shipping of course. We'll see what happens when they run a second batch and ship those over. The second run is usually the one that comes out funky.

Let me know if you manage to break a Vector into that point, it's going to have to take some serious damage to get there. The disc is just too well made, no jaggies, no flash, it's immaculate. I don't know what's going to wear in.

I have a 176g Pink Opto Pain that has seen about 40 rounds now. A little stability has come out of it as it has broken in, but it is still such a terrific disc. I can't believe the distance I can get out of it with accuracy. I have repalaced all but my San Marino Roc with the Pain in my bag. I can vary grip pressure with my Roc and feel a shot on approach, but with the fatter lip on the Pain I have stay locked on or it would get away from me. Loven the Pain, got my first Ace with it.

My wife just bought me 2 Pains - a 172 gold goldline and a 176 pink opto. Both have a pretty nice dome to them. Looking forward to throwing them soon.

That's funny.....bout crapped my pants when it hit the chains. The disc took a nice ding on the rim from it too....so I guess it was a pain.

victorb said:
My wife just bought me 2 Pains - a 172 gold goldline and a 176 pink opto. Both have a pretty nice dome to them. Looking forward to throwing them soon.

got quite a few throws with my 176 pink opto today. very impressed with how well it flies. it is what I always envisioned out of an overstable midrange - something that doesn't have to be ripped like a driver, but is still very HSS with a strong, but not ridiculous fade at the end of the flight. From what I can tell, the HSS is similar to a new KC Roc, and the fade is stronger, but more in a forward motion than a hornet or drone which just fall out of the air.

All in all, it's an overstable midrange that can actually be thrown like a midrange, and has more versatility than a typical overstable midrange.

I'm sure I'll get a lot more work with it tomorrow if I play, it's supposed to be very windy and very warm. I'll probably swap out a disc for my 172 goldline pain.

Got a 178g Opto Pain in the mail today. Took it right out for some throws. All I can say is beefy...for a midrange. I am going to take it out the course tomorrow morning to do some more work. Like B-Vic says...it is exactly what I would expect out of an overstable midrange. I would say that it is a touch more overstable than a new KC Roc.