• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The House of Pain

why 2 pains? gl or opto, light or heavy...a pain is a pain. carrying two seems redundant.

Apothecary said:
why 2 pains? gl or opto, light or heavy...a pain is a pain. carrying two seems redundant.

I thought the same until I bought my two - the opto flies as I'd expect it to (as has been discussed in this thread), and the very domey goldline is more comparable to a drone than the opto version of the same disc.

there ya go. i havent even seen a domey gl pain. ive seen a couple of pop-top optos...but all the gl ive seen have been flat as a pancake.

/me goes out and buys up all the flat stock...like i shouldve with the cores.

victorb said:
Apothecary said:
I thought the same until I bought my two - the opto flies as I'd expect it to (as has been discussed in this thread), and the very domey goldline is more comparable to a drone than the opto version of the same disc.
Yeap, the only Opto Pain I've thrown had a pretty long straight flight with a nice fade at the end, where as the domey GLs I've been throwing were total meathooks.

jubuttib said:
victorb said:
Apothecary said:
Yeap, the only Opto Pain I've thrown had a pretty long straight flight with a nice fade at the end, where as the domey GLs I've been throwing were total meathooks.

Ive had the same experience. The Opto and GL of the same weight, the opto will fly straight with good fade. The GL will be more os from the start

What everyone else said. Disc Junkie is a Revolving Discer and his posts can't be trusted. :twisted:

Ryan C said:
I agree that the Hornet is faster, but I dont think more stable. You should maybe try an Opto. GL are almost always less stable. My Pains are VERY stable. Definitely more stable than a Roc.
I throw both the Pain in Opto and the Roc in Star plastic. The thinner rim on the Roc makes it easier to turn over, and it is definately more of a grass grabber around the baskets on approach. The Pain can be pounded for distance and has a nice skip at the end. The pain is a go to disc on my tweener shots that don't quite need driver distance because I know that even if I OAT it, the disc is stable enough to come back left. Two different and necessary discs for my game.

linkinparkervii said:
jubuttib said:
victorb said:
Apothecary said:

Ive had the same experience. The Opto and GL of the same weight, the opto will fly straight with good fade. The GL will be more os from the start

I second this; I threw them both for a couple of months and ended up keeping the gl. If i rip it, it'll fly long and straight with a dependable fade. But if throw it was less power, it's a meat hook.

For anyone that cares, I played a round with my beat GL Pain today. Thing is almost perfectly straight. Kept all it's HSS. Lost the LSS.

I heart the Roc killer (a.k.a. Pain) :twisted:

Superb disc and is a deadly compliment to my Comets. Well at least the Opto. Not much of a fan of GoldLine other than the looks.

I may need to check out a GL pain then. I have two optos and when I really get after them (in a way in which a roc would keep straight still) they turn more than I would want. A little less power than that and they are amazing though. Are there certain optos that are more HSS than others perhaps?

Anyone besides rooneytunes got anymore info on light Pains? (BTW, thanks rooney)

Question for you other Pain throwers. I received my first Opto Pain a lil over a week ago and love it. Its a 173 yellow/dayglow and it does have a little highspeed turn. Its still plenty stable but I cant turn it over pretty easily and flex shots are a dream with this disc. However, I recently just obtained two more Opto Pain (172 blue and 175 magenta) and they both have a higher PLH by a good bit with the 172 Blue being the highest. Im wondering how everyone elses Pains fly? I also wonder which is the norm, Im thinking the higher PLH ones. I have yet to throw them but Im pretty sure just by the PLH alone my two new ones are going to be more HSS than my dayglow.

I may have to track down some more lower PLH Pains and they are a blast to throw and the PERFECT compliment to my Comets.

Mine are definitely the lower plh then. Both of mine get a little bit of high speed turn. I'd gladly trade my low plh for high plh.

I've been throwing my 177 Opto Pain a lot more, forcing myself to throw it just to see how it seasons. This disc just gets better and better. For awhile I had gotten away from throwing a markedly overstable mid, anything I couldn't hyzer a Fuse I'd throw an Ion, and the Pain is reminding why that might have been dumb.

I am taking my pains out of my bag. I had two, a yellow GL and a gold gl and the yellow one was borderline flippy. I am sure it was a freakish one because it had a flight similar to my core. The gold one when calm was better but is oen of the worst discs I have ever thrown with any wind. I have been a huge Lat guy because of their plastic and their sweet discs, but their large variances between not just plastics and runs, but also colors is getting tiresome and I am taking the pain out and trying out a hornet. This slot is really just for something to throw in slight wind or sharp hyzers anyways. I can use a buzz or fuse for anything else.

weedjj said:
I am taking my pains out of my bag. I had two, a yellow GL and a gold gl and the yellow one was borderline flippy. I am sure it was a freakish one because it had a flight similar to my core. The gold one when calm was better but is oen of the worst discs I have ever thrown with any wind. I have been a huge Lat guy because of their plastic and their sweet discs, but their large variances between not just plastics and runs, but also colors is getting tiresome and I am taking the pain out and trying out a hornet. This slot is really just for something to throw in slight wind or sharp hyzers anyways. I can use a buzz or fuse for anything else.

I tested a blue gl, a pink gl, and a pink opto Pain. Both GLs were a bit flippy like you describe above...They would turn a little on a flat throw and push out of a slight hyzer. The Opto I threw I'm guessing was more like the ones people love because it was nicely overstable and glidey...I tested them the same time that I got my Vectors, and obviously the Vector won out. Besides simply my affections for MVP, I found that the Vector was a little faster and better at lower lines, which where I play tends to trump all other factors.