• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The Ideal Driver

DJ Sticky Feet

Birdie Member
This can be a reference to people who are looking for a driver to fit their skill level, or what kind of stability they want. So what is the "ideal" driver for:
500+ feet
450 feet
400 feet
350 feet
300 feet
250 feet
and so on. All manufacturers are welcome. If you know of good drivers that are perfect for your distance post them here!

I haven't found the ideal driver yet.
One that goes in the basket with minimal power, avoiding all obstacles on the way to said basket, Never going into water and never getting lost.

For me:

250-300 Buzz
300-350 Eagle
350-400 TD Rush
400+ Wraith

250 ft. = Millennium Polaris LS 175g several months ago, but nowadays usually a Z Buzzz 179g.
300 ft. = Star Teebird. I prefer my 150g but if there is any breeze in my face I'll grab my 166g STB
350 ft. = 149g Starlite Valkyrie. The only way I'm hitting 350 is downwind and the lite Valk is perfect.

That's all I have.

200-250: Pure (Opto or medium)
250-300: Buzzz (maybe wasp depending on the hole)
300-360: Volt
360-400+: Tern

250 - Diamond or Underworld
275 - River or Air Saint
300 - Unlace
350 - Magic Bullet or a disc launcher

The Ideal Driver for me is a Saint. Very controllable and works well in the wind. Plus I can get it over 400ft on occasion so that's pretty good for a speed 9 driver. Glad I have 3 in the bag. :thmbup:

so your question is basically asking everyone "what do you throw and for what ranges?"

Hum, for what it is worth from I guy relearning the game:
Under 225' - MVP Ion
225-275' - MVP Axis
275-325' - Vibram Trak
325+ - Give the Vibram UnLace a go

Yet as we know different holes call for different discs. For example, we have 225' uphill hole that I use the Trak on because it will park on the hillside right behind the basket for an easy drop in birdie. The Ion & Axis will often hit 15-20' below the basket making for a more difficult uphill birdie shot.

g3 and joes flight chart answers this question with out all the banter.....check it out. I have found it to be accurate so far, and i stick to power level 2-3 drivers for my game.

150-250 Neutron Anode
250-300 Roc3 or Pinnacle Cannon (Tomahawk)
300-350 Roc3 or Champ Firebird (Tomahawk)
350-400 Avery Star Teebird
400-500 Star Xcal
500-600 Bottom Stamp Star Boss

This is all assuming I'm in a giant field and don't have to do any special shot shaping.

For anyone that throws under 400 ft with high speed discs (like myself) I feel the ideal disc for distance and.control is the volt. Honorable mention to the Rival, as well

I feel like by the ideal driver OP meant what disc people throwing those distances should be using for their longest driver?

I feel the ideal driver is a true */*/-1/3 for the person throwing them. I think its important to have a disc that you can turn a little bit and be able to work some lines without flipping as well as pop up to flat, but still has that dependable "3" fade that will always come back, and its not so much that its an unmanageable fade. Of course this is for no wind situations. You want the ideal disc then it will fly just as mentioned but completely unaffected by any wind. Lol.

Latest posts