• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I remember telling Dave Henrickson (founder of Revolution Bags) some time in the late 90's that no one was ever going to pay $100 for a disc golf bag. Joke was on me on that one. ;)

Hell even 10-12 years ago I laughed at people starting to buy bags for $100+ bucks. Can you imagine someone telling you that people would be rolling around carts that are $400+ and that there would be more of those than $100 dollar bags.

Something that doesn't look ideal for the SPORT is top level players rolling around carts. Takes away some of the perception of athleticism that golf in general strives for.

BTW, I think carts are cool and another item that brings more economic value to the GAME. But I'm just thinking if the SPORT is striving to be taken more seriously, it might be a good idea to not use them during the high level tournaments. They typically have caddies so it's not as big of a deal. Crazy John Brooks carried three discs, a mini and a towel and made the finals of Worlds in 1992.

Lol at putting athleticism and disc golf in the same sentence
Just out of curiosity, how many of our top 20 players, without naming names, should be skipping a few meals here and there? At one point, our top players did other disc sports that were more athletic but now our top players are more specialized. Still they seem to train over the winter to be in better shape for the tours.

Just out of curiosity, how many of our top 20 players, without naming names, should be skipping a few meals here and there? At one point, our top players did other disc sports that were more athletic but now our top players are more specialized. Still they seem to train over the winter to be in better shape for the tours.

How many can lift x amount of weight? How many can run a mile in x amount of time? How many can do sprints in x amount of time? Etc. I guess I just have a different idea of athleticism than you

None of them should be skipping meals, that's unhealthy and not a great way to get fit. In fact with the hectic road schedule and tight budgets, most pros are probably skipping occasional meals as is. It's so difficult to live on the road and eat healthy.

None of them should be skipping meals, that's unhealthy and not a great way to get fit. In fact with the hectic road schedule and tight budgets, most pros are probably skipping occasional meals as is. It's so difficult to live on the road and eat healthy.
My point being that most if not all of the top 20 are in great shape.

My point being that most if not all of the top 20 are in great shape.

Point taken. Apparently you don't have to be in great overall shape to be one of the best in the world at throwing a frisbee.

Point taken. Apparently you don't have to be in great overall shape to be one of the best in the world at throwing a frisbee.
Definitely not for golf but for participating in Ultimate or Overall Frisbee events, it's important.

I do think in the future more and more revenue will be created in the gear game vs. the discs themselves. Bags we are already used to, but footwear and technical clothing still have a lot of potential when specifically designed for disc golf. Of course, high-end outdoor clothing often works too, but some 150$ shoes can fall apart in mere months due to the rotation on the plant foot. And when you get a real nice jacket that is designed for disc golf, you can tell the difference. Sure, they are expensive, just like high end bags, but after a while (just like with bags) you are like boy am I glad I got this, its going to last me a long time and it makes me happy every time I wear it. (think Dude Tech Jacket. Free ad for them.) So far there are not many companies that do this.

I bought a reebok track suit type pullover hoodie last month on sale at Gabe's. I swear it was made for DG(its actually part of their Center Ice collection). It has an extra large pocket in front that is the perfect size to slide a disc into. Its also very loose fitting around the elbows so it doesn't bind when you throw.

I don't think it will ever be accurately quantified how much money Adidas made from Paul and really the disc golf community as a whole from those Terrex GTX shoes over the past few years. I've already ran through 2 pairs and am on pair 3/4 myself, and the sheer % of people I see playing that wear them is quite significant.

I would wager anything that their marketing and finance people have no idea how many disc golfers are actually buying their shoes, because if they did, throwing cash and free shoes towards sponsoring pros wouldn't be a big deal at all for a company whose gross revenue in 2016 was 20,000,000,000.

I bet Paul knows this, and realizes he's getting hosed, and rightfully so.

You're assuming DG is a wayyyyy bigger deal vs it really is. Most players I know dont have a clue what a GTX shoe is.

Latest posts