• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I had a conversation with another hard throwing Trilogy sponsored pro (Latitude) and he actually said "they don't have anything stable". He was being hyperbolic, but was sort of complaining about their lack of stability on their FAST discs. I laughed at him initially. He had crazy meat hook Stiletto runs in the bag, but was referring to the fast lineup specifically, like Enforcers/Defenders and I'm sure others in the Trilogy line up I'm not ware of. It's hard for me to relate cause I can't throw 600 feet, but maybe there is something to it. He did make it sound like he was not the only Trilogy guy complaining about it.

I have pop top destroyers that I can mash into 30 MPH headwinds. They may be "fast", but with my power they glide no more than my Firebirds given my arm speed. I would likely have no issue throwing all Trilogy, but maybe there is something there for guys with crazy power, or those that play the "power game".

I have no experience with defenders/enforcers but those seem to be the go to wide rims for the Trilogy folks. Anyone know if they have runs of those that come close to some of the destroyers in stability? Maybe that's what Drew feels is lacking.

There's only one player that I know of across all of the "trilogy" teams that comes close to his power (James Proctor).

Miles Seaborn has Drew power, and its no coincidence he throws mostly stilettos for his max distance drives as they are about the meatiest thing trilogy makes.

.....but was referring to the fast lineup specifically....
I have no experience with defenders/enforcers but those seem to be the go to wide rims for the Trilogy folks. Anyone know if they have runs of those that come close to some of the destroyers in stability? Maybe that's what Drew feels is lacking.

So...he wants a mold that is more consistently inconsistent so he can find one that flies with +1 or +2 higher LSS than the given flight rating? That's weird.

Drew had a poor year highlighted by just one C tier win, averaging 30th place finishes in his NT and Major showings, and needed to change something. Whether he actively is trying to shake things up, or has deluded himself into thinking its the lack of disc selection, I don't know. He softened it, but should have left that bit out of his response.

BTW: Stilettos (and Ballistas, Giants, etc) are wider rimmed and have smaller rim configs than Defenders and Enforcers. Noticeably more than Destroyers or Xcals (what I'm assuming Drew is going back to).

So...he wants a mold that is more consistently inconsistent so he can find one that flies with +1 or +2 higher LSS than the given flight rating? That's weird.

Probably a pretty good scenario if you're a high tier pro and can just thumb through stacks of Destroyers to find the 5-8 that will go in your bag perfectly. You can tell pretty quick when you know what to look for.

But it's a completely different case when you are a normal person buying one or a few at a time, often blind or with small selection.

With Drew leaving for Innova it could also be based on fell in the hand of the drivers. I know I have a hard time throwing shallower, but glidier discs. There are some Enforcers and Defenders that won't turn at 400', but I highly doubt that is the case for those with 600' power. I also have found that Trilogy's premium plastics hold up like Pro plastic in terms of durability. If he is having issues trusting his discs how is he supposed to perform well, as I know that if I can't trust that a disc will do what it is supposed to, I'm not going to be confident, which is a big part of throwing good rounds.

Drew Gibson is a talented guy with a not very complete game, outside of his power.

DD and the Trilogy family have a disc lineup that is designed for high glide. Somewhere in that design there is a loss of stability for power throwers. Totally unscientific opinion.

Drew will definitely feel more comfortable back with Innova. I still don't see him winning any NTs or Majors anytime soon. Unless he dials in a putt and tightens up his accuracy.

He better hope that the AviarX3 is really overstable, because Innova doesn't produce an approach disc anything near as overstable as a Justice.

Drew had a poor year highlighted by just one C tier win, averaging 30th place finishes in his NT and Major showings, and needed to change something. Whether he actively is trying to shake things up, or has deluded himself into thinking its the lack of disc selection, I don't know. He softened it, but should have left that bit out of his response.

BTW: Stilettos (and Ballistas, Giants, etc) are wider rimmed and have smaller rim configs than Defenders and Enforcers. Noticeably more than Destroyers or Xcals (what I'm assuming Drew is going back to).

I agree, it seems weird. Again, since I don't have the type of power these guys have - not just Drew, but anyone that can crush 500+, which is actually quite a lot of people, I was honestly curious. My hunch of course is you are correct and the disc lineup played almost no role in his bad season.

Does any manufacturer? That thing is crazy stable.

No, but some other companies at least cover that slot better than Innova. It seems like they have been trying to create a disc for that slot but haven't yet. That would be my biggest problem trying to throw an all-Innova bag. I love my Zones, and think I could replace with a Harp or Justice, but Gator is probably their closest but I would imagine Gibson may try using the Firebird where he would use his Justice before.

Needs moar vid. :D

Shot is at 6:15. Purdy good if you ask me.

Maybe he switched for the Champ Leo3 and not stable destroyers. There's a ton of discs that can hyzer over everything but if you can hyzer flip a tunnel 400 ft, without it overturning on you half the time, you have a real advantage.

I guess we'll see if he starts winning this year. He threw Innova before and I'm pretty sure his results were not better.

Kudos for him to saying good things about DD et al. The advent of real competition and serious promotion has been tremendous for the sport and the prospects of pro players regardless of their current sponsor.

SO MJ, Cale, Philo, etc can't win NTs or what not because they don't throw forehand well? I don't see your line of reasoning applying here.

How many big events have those 3 won in the last couple years? 2 or 3 combined? Being a great BH turnover player doesn't mean that you are throwing the right shot for the hole. Btw, MJ has a decent FH and throws it when the shot required calls for one.

Latest posts