• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Holyn Handley - She's 5"11, former collegiate level volleyball player and competitive powerlifter. Apparently she's an engineer by trade and isn't going to quit her day job anytime soon to be a full time touring Pro, but it's cool to see a new face emerge on the scene out of nowhere.

Only been playing one year and already has 400 feet of power which would definitely put her in top 5 FPO backhand distance, and has a decent putt. We shall see how this one plays out in Vegas, she's signed up. Says she's gotten calls from most of the manufactures all last week.

Holyn Handley - She's 5"11, former collegiate level volleyball player and competitive powerlifter. Apparently she's an engineer by trade and isn't going to quit her day job anytime soon to be a full time touring Pro, but it's cool to see a new face emerge on the scene out of nowhere.

Only been playing one year and already has 400 feet of power which would definitely put her in top 5 FPO backhand distance, and has a decent putt. We shall see how this one plays out in Vegas, she's signed up. Says she's gotten calls from most of the manufactures all last week.

She looks good, very methodical. Throws both BH and FH.

7 career events, 5 career wins!
Yes, Las Vegas with a full FPO will be a true test. (there were only 8 players at the Maricopa Open)

Based on the 4 or 5 holes I saw her play I would think a top 10 finish is not out of the question.

Ok. How much do you make a year and what is your net worth?

I'm in grad school living on credit. Currently sitting at about $40k in debt and projected to take on another $20k to finish the degree. Before that I was making about $30k a year as a kitchen manager.

I took a substantial pay cut last year and moved from engineering training and management into an analyst position. It allows me to spend time focusing on family, is 100% remote (even pre-covid), no travel and I can shut the laptop down at 4 to go play 18 holes before it's time to walk two blocks down the street to pick up my elementary-age kids from school.

I've spent 23 years in my industry working my way up and when I got there decided it sucks. I was at 86k plus bonuses and the occasional profit-share with a guaranteed 3% or more raise yearly. Now it's a straight $35/hr and I may go two weeks without hearing from any of my bosses.

I worked d@mn hard to get here, but I didn't have to eat beans out of the back of my car and couch-surf across the country for 8-9 months to do so.

Top-level pros may be 'living the dream' but it's a hard path and would burn me out quick, even at 21-22 years old. They deserve more and hopefully by working together they can get there. We're already seeing a lot of cross-over social media promotion instead of that old 'Team Prodigy Rulez!' garbage, and we all know what an incredible community disc golfers are and have been for decades.

I believe beyond-the-manufacturer sponsorships for players may be the next big step to infuse decent cash - most likely breweries and CBD-related businesses to start with - and we've seen some of that already. I think Barsby has a few minor sponsors but no one else comes to mind. Feeding that money into purses doesn't seem to be doing it but that's not the TD's fault (talk about underpaid!)

If I had my own local business in DFW, I'd buy a spot on Emerson Kieth's shirts and make sure it gets major props each time he has a camera in his face - maybe even put my website pasted across his glasses.

Also, stay the course comrade Tomph!!

I'm in grad school living on credit. Currently sitting at about $40k in debt and projected to take on another $20k to finish the degree. Before that I was making about $30k a year as a kitchen manager.

Seems this is the way to go. Way things are going, the government will take my social security and pay off your school debt.

My dad made the same spiel when he was my age (30 years ago) about welfare payments, unemployment, etc. Will never happen, mostly because old people are the majority voting block, and because Social Security is guaranteed.
Those funds by law cannot be used for anything else:

H.R. 5670 of the 114th Congress (2016, so the Republican one)
GUARANTEE OF FULL SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS WITH ACCURATE ANNUAL COST-OF-LIVING ADJUSTMENT.
(a) In General.—On a date not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the Treasury shall issue a benefit guarantee certificate to each individual who is determined by the Commissioner of Social Security as of such date to be entitled to benefits under title II of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 401 et seq.).

As for actual pro sponsor talk, if I was new to the scene and making a splash like Ms. Holyn Handley I would first look at what disc I don't think I could replace in my current bag.
The entry-level sponsorships can't be that lucrative and she's not quitting her day job either. I'd have to pick Innova since I've never found a disc that could replace my Firebirds or gummy Spiders.

Piss off. I shouldn't better myself?

No one's saying you can't better yourself. Why should anyone but you pay for you to better yourself? If you don't want to take on the debt to invest in yourself then you're not worth the investment to me. Your application for a free ride at my expense has been denied. YOU chose to live on credit. If your degree isn't going to end up paying you enough to pay back what YOU owe, whose fault is that? Are you going to send me part of your salary every check for helping to cover your education? Of course not. Suddenly that's YOUR money, right?

If you want free education, tons of schools have their classes online to audit for free. You won't get the degree, but, again, you get what YOU pay for. You can also move to Finland or Norway where education is actually free. If you don't want to take any of those options then you piss off, get a job, and earn your "bettering" like everyone else. Believe me, you'll appreciate it more.

My suspicions have been confirmed...this site has never been about "disc golf." Its a secret conspiracy theory driven coded transmission hub for qanon trumpite white supremacists. What does "destroyer" really mean and What's "McBeths" secret agenda?

No one's saying you can't better yourself. Why should anyone but you pay for you to better yourself? If you don't want to take on the debt to invest in yourself then you're not worth the investment to me. Your application for a free ride at my expense has been denied. YOU chose to live on credit. If your degree isn't going to end up paying you enough to pay back what YOU owe, whose fault is that? Are you going to send me part of your salary every check for helping to cover your education? Of course not. Suddenly that's YOUR money, right?

If you want free education, tons of schools have their classes online to audit for free. You won't get the degree, but, again, you get what YOU pay for. You can also move to Finland or Norway where education is actually free. If you don't want to take any of those options then you piss off, get a job, and earn your "bettering" like everyone else. Believe me, you'll appreciate it more.

What are you talking about dude. I never said a word about free education or debt forgiveness. I don't control that that's happening. I signed for the loans over a year ago before the pandemic or even the beginning of the primaries. Jackass

So......

Ummmm....

Jamie Conrads to MVP....crazy

Im excited to see him throw Mayhems. Once people start throwing them because james does, they will get to see how great a distance driver it is. Even for low arms speeds.

Latest posts