• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The MVP Spin is the Comet of putters..

Is the Spin the Comet of putters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Going out to rock the Spin today.. Disc is at my place I'm tempted to play in my jammies... I am playing my Halloween glow bag to get practice in but I can't afford to leave the Spin my 174 glow Comet is still pretty straight after a few years of wear.. I just can't cut the tight corners on an anny without the Spin. I got a glow Anode but it just flies straight needs more height to turn.. Going to miss the Tangent and the Switch..

Spin, glow Envy, Stalker and Comet.

Pooped it with the Spin I take back anything good I said about it haha. Threw it too hard and not clean enough, Threw the Comet, missed the Tangent.

Pooped it with the Spin I take back anything good I said about it haha. Threw it too hard and not clean enough, Threw the Comet, missed the Tangent.

Makes me think of Discspeed's Comet and Tangent analogy from 2013:

To me this is an abstract comparison in need of an analogy. I like cars so...

The Comet is like a classic sports car. Lacking technology, older sports cars needed to be well balanced and require skill to drive. To a driver with the skill to handle the car a more pure driving experience could not be found. A driver with less skill will never be able to control the car well enough to push it's limits, so the classic car's merits may be lost on them. It is also a car to be driven on a sunny afternoon and not for an everyday commute.

The Tangent is more like a modern roadster. It still is a very true and responsive ride, but it has technology that lessens the skill requirement for the user. Computer mechanisms keep the tires in contact with the pavement across varying user inputs and conditions. It can be used as an everyday ride. While a skilled driver will still enjoy driving this car, it won't be as pure of an experience as the classic car.

Makes me think of Discspeed's Comet and Tangent analogy from 2013:

Damn that's a heck of a memory to be able to drag that up... totally true. My favourite discs mask my imperfections.

I feel like I should clarify after Spin problems I lit it up with the Comet missed a couple aces by a just an inch.. Ended up in a three way CTP playoff for second and third the playoff hole at my place is about 200' a 45 degree drop (about 50').. There's a huge advantage to having a Buzzz or Tangent in the bag for that hole, wind was blowing luckily my partner got us third but I usually own that hole aaargh.

Last edited:
Back when we had good discussion... And trolling.

....And good trolling. Damn I used to laugh more on here..

Maybe if we try tonight to contact the ghost of Frank D he will haunt these forums again. I heard he went mad trying to throw a Comet into the sun..

The Spin is so awesome I burnt all my Aviars (they are useless)

Funguy posted this in the MVP thread...

Spin -- Although it does not share the same core as the Ion/Anode, it is similar in feel. It is a deep dish putter that has a unique US wing profile. If you like US putters, this might be your choice. It is very glidey. I have not thrown another putter that is the same as the Spin. Great for outside of the circle shots or jump putts. I have not had great success with this off the tee. It has great turn if you can dial it in just right. It has a similar beginning flight as a Comet but it doesn't have any LSS. Great for hyzerflip putts or hyzerflips off the tee.

Live thread damn you LIVE!

So I got my hands on a fresh 166 electron spin.. Decent gap in stability from my 166 worn proton way less stable out of the box.. Nice. It holds a flat to anny wrong turn really well.. It doesn't break out like the proton. I could draw parallels between an X and Z Comet all day. I'm even more firm in my theory.

I'll contribute to your thread....

Since I couldn't sell it in my fsot thread, I'm taking my Spin to a local shop today for trade. I didn't really care for it but I'll be using the proceeds to help pay to replace the N Inertia that I stuck in some highwires yesterday. I loved that Inertia.

Flat inside rim Spin [Axiom _____] I'll check out. Same reason I dropped the Ion...curved rim ****ed up my FH putter game.

The Anode is tied with the Wizard for my favorite driving putter ever. Because of that, I own a Spin that I take out for short touch approaches and turnover drives. It's a decent disc, but that said...
The Spin is nothing like a Comet. Neither the stability nor the glide are there, and that is what makes the Comet so special.
If the Anode had a bit more glide and had a bead, I'd say it would be the candidate, but the reality is that there is nothing that comes close.

No it does or was marketed that way when released ive been under a rock 4 a minute.

That's kinda what I thought too, kinda thought I might get a bite on that sooner :)

The Anode is tied with the Wizard for my favorite driving putter ever. Because of that, I own a Spin that I take out for short touch approaches and turnover drives. It's a decent disc, but that said...
The Spin is nothing like a Comet. Neither the stability nor the glide are there, and that is what makes the Comet so special.
If the Anode had a bit more glide and had a bead, I'd say it would be the candidate, but the reality is that there is nothing that comes close.

I used to be an Anode guy, shot the two best rounds of my life with them in a tournament... that dark purple one was a key player that you got there buds :)

It's tough to match the Comet, I'm not saying it's a Comet I'm saying it's my short range replacement when I don't have the space or distance to get the Comet to work. I can line it up with similiar throw softer.. Say Comet minus 100-150' whatever range you usually use it for. Or alternatively 0-150' + in my bag, beside my freaking Comet

Yeah the Comet is a unique disc, I could throw it at 7' but not at 50'.. I generally use a 174 glow Z or 176ish esp. The only Spin I had when I started this thread was a proton 166.. I will concede that the electron Spin is less neutral than Proton. And yes without the wider wing it doesn't glide as well as well as a Comet especially downhill. Within 100' I generally don't use my Comet...

I've only just got an electron 166 and it is less power resistant but more glidey. Flat and straight to about 80' after that I need a hyzer or nose up adjustment... the proton goes flat and straight to about 130' without adjustment or backing off on spin. That said I can get 170' on it easily from a standstill, flat ground, at sea level.

I'll contribute to your thread....

Since I couldn't sell it in my fsot thread, I'm taking my Spin to a local shop today for trade. I didn't really care for it but I'll be using the proceeds to help pay to replace the N Inertia that I stuck in some highwires yesterday. I loved that Inertia.

I hope you got an inertia.. I saw that Spin you had.. Kind of a crappie color.. Why were dumping it?

Last edited:
I hope you got an inertia.. I saw that Spin you had.. Kind of a crappie color.. Why were dumping it?

I got 2 Inertias, kinda going all in on them. I didn't really care for the feel of the Spin, I prefer a lower profile. Plus, I think the JB Roach I'm working in can cover US putter duties for me

I got 2 Inertias, kinda going all in on them. I didn't really care for the feel of the Spin, I prefer a lower profile. Plus, I think the JB Roach I'm working in can cover US putter duties for me

I won't argue in fact I will say I too found it awkward at first. Just like the COMET. ;)