• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The MVP Spin is the Comet of putters..

Is the Spin the Comet of putters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have found the Spin to be an amazing putter - but a comet it ain't! In fact, I don't even putt with it, but rather bag it as a concession that I want something floatier and more US than even a worn in Dagger for touchy ups and short woodsy turnovers.

The Spin is unique to me in that it's one of a handful of putters that will turn over reliably when new and in premium plastic. Shaped like a Magic, but flippier than the same in SureGrip.

The Comet to me is another high water mark for premium plastic, which is ironic considering it's such an old school mold, big bead and all. Pick up a domey Z comet in your preferred weight, and you will have the straightest mid out there from A-B in the widest range of power bar none, off the shelf. Put some clean power on it and it will rival the distance of a buzzz or even a truth, but it will do it on a frozen rope. Same disc, next shot, need a floaty anny to the basket around some trees? Put just enough angle and snap on it and it will fade just enough not to cut.

I have less experience with the other DC plastics for comets, but my older (like earlier 2010s older) ESP was a little more squirrely than the Z. The X is a fan favorite, starting out in my experience with similar stability to any of the premium plastic, again a little more squirrely than Z, and beat into slow turning fillet knives. I recently lost a 7/10 X Comet which bummed me out and turned me off of a comet cycle, so I'm trying out some truly flippy mids in its place. Still considering bagging a Z comet next to one for all the reasons above though.

I have found the Spin to be an amazing putter - ..... I... bag it as a concession that I want something floatier and more US than even a worn in Dagger for touchy ups and short woodsy turnovers.

The Spin is unique to me in that it's one of a handful of putters that will turn over reliably when new and in premium plastic. Shaped like a Magic, but flippier than the same in SureGrip.

.....Pick up a ..... in your preferred weight, and you will have the straightest ...off the shelf. Put some clean power on it and it ..... it will do it on a frozen rope. Same disc, next shot, need a floaty anny to the basket around some trees? Put just enough angle and snap on it and it will fade just enough not to cut.

Hey you had some extra words in there I cleaned it up for you. Haha I love mine for straight floaty shots too.. 180' Spin on a frozen rope, 240' for Comet :) ;)

^ at least that's the way I feel about it. Thanks for the Spin love man!

I bag my Spin for soft straight approaches as a backup or tonal putter but that doesn't mean I don't play a round with it. Or one disc rounds.. I enjoy it more than an Envy for one disc rounds I can shape more shots.
3 disc rounds?.. Spin / Tangent / Relay or Envy / Comet / Switch

Hey I looked you can get an APX in jawbreaker plastic all over the place.. And Rattler?...

love the spin. putting with electron and use the proton for clean smooth woods shots. can hyzer flip to a not coming back turn over when i want to give it some juice. amazing line possibilities.

The Spin is understable whilst the Comet is Stable. The Spin is a good disc but its Apples and Oranges.

My heavy Proton Spin is dang close to neutral like a nice X Comet but yeah, anything lighter and they definitely seem more understable than stable. The Spin has a pretty blunt profile too, even for a putter so I imagine that makes it behave naturally more understable too.

The classic aviar is the putter with the closest flight to a comet.

MVP discs aren't close. Speed and glide are not the same thing

Classics are cool Aviars, if I was going back the the Aviar the Classic is what I'd throw. So I get the stable comparison, but the Classics are not as floaty as a Comet. You know...those shots where you watch it land and think "Damn, I wasn't trying to throw it THAT far." I get those shots sometimes with the APX and the Comet. Classic Aviars range pretty much where I throw them and don't have that "mysterious glide the disc shouldn't have" from my experience.

But Classics are stable. If you throw them right, they don't really turn and they don't much fade. Probably if you were locked in with both a Comet and a Classic they would seem like two sides to the same coin. I'm just never that locked in.

Sometimes we argue about silly things. Back in the day there were fewer discs and more absolutes. There are a lot more variables now. I think there are more variations of the Aviar now than there were putters when I started playing. I guess I should be more open-minded. :\

You need to try an Ion. It's great for one disc rounds.

ITfdHX.jpg

Will one of these work haha... actually the rounded inner core shared between the Ion and Spin caused me to get a little finicky when I first got the Spin so I got a Proxy or three.. But they couldn't do what the Spin can. (For me) I enjoy the Proxy I think it is most awesome but I got a wicked one two punch with the Envy / Spin.

One minor hole in my theory is the lack of downhill glide on the Spin it gets more glide flat or uphill than most MVP putters but downhill 45 degrees I have to aim higher than I would with a Tangent..

My proton 166 is very neutral out to 150' I threw a few yesterday as flat as I could and other than a 2' track left lhbh it flew pretty straight. 100' and in definitely neutral. 150'+ is generally getting into Comet territory for me where it has enough power to do what I want out to maybe 250'. The space between where the Spin comes in is 100' straight tunnels or any short anhyzer I think I can get it out to 200' if I use some height and hyzer and still get a very straight shot.

The classic aviar is the putter with the closest flight to a comet.

MVP discs aren't close. Speed and glide are not the same thing

Hmmm methinks you haven't thrown the Spin you can vote for multiples on that poll..

Just for fun went to GGGT and grabbed some flight ratings the APX had a weird rating without glide...

Comet 4 5 -2 1
APX 1 X -2 0
Spin 2.5 4 -2 0
Anode 2.5 3 0 0
Polecat 1 2 0 0
C Aviar 2 3 0 0
Envy. 3 3 0 2

Speed Glide HSS LSS

I'm on a boat and you know this boat is real!
(Going to town on a ferry and killing time)
The mermaid is a sea lion and no I didn't...

I've thrown MVP discs. Ion, Aonde, Envy, Vector, Tangent...none of them had any glide and were really speed sensitive. They fly their best when thrown hard - the comet flies very well across a much wider range of speed. Maybe they have some things in the lineup that are similar now, I don't know.

I stand by my first statement though - the classic aviar is the closest thing to a comet I have thrown as a putter.

One of the things I like about the Spin is that it's responsive across a wide range of speeds, whether I'm carving a line around trees 60' out or 200' out. So, no, no need to throw it hard to get it to fly.

I should probably get my hands on an electron one and a light spin one of these days.. I'd like to find a 155 proton to mess with. I imagine the electron has sweet glide. I bought way too many discs this month though..

If someone doubled up and had a couple I will trade.. Got lots of goodies for those of you that dont love it haha.

Hey I had a look at mvp team bag.. Looks like most of them have one ITB and they list it for ranges under 150'..

The Electron I got from the circuit event reminded me of a slower Theory. I've been tempted to pick up a Proton, to range better than my Proxy, but I really only ever play with my 6 disc bag anymore and can't imagine dropping any of my current discs for it.

I don't think the Spin has enough HSS to be considered a slower Comet.

I'd nominate a seasoned Proxy for that description before a Spin.

I don't think the Spin has enough HSS to be considered a slower Comet.

I'd nominate a seasoned Proxy for that description before a Spin.

Yeah I can see where you and Thomas Orion are coming from with the Proxy love it is a sweet disc especially if you have extra power. It is still awesome for lower armspeed too don't get me wrong... I don't get the same glide as the Spin but I'm also using it at less than 200'. I love it for straight flights it's almost like cheating..