• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

A buddy gave me an old 8X; new out of the box those things were beefy awesomesauce, but this thing is beat to death. If you want a Roc with turn, it's got that and then some. I'm going to need to work with it to try to get the turn under control.

Looked through the stock at inifinite discs today and I brought the only flag stamp roc home with me. 180g and looks just like the others from a page or two back. Plastic feels sweet too, wish I could find more of these locally.

Awesome disc, I have owned three. A DX Rancho that I broke in half after a hit with one two many trees, an R-Pro Roc+ and the current Champ Roc3. I use those both a lot. R3 is pretty stable and I use it unless it's wet or cold outside.

all 27 pages read :eek: and this was the only direct mention of the R-Pro+mold. i bought mine used (pre-seasoned?) from a friend who recommended to pair with a fuse, that was my only mid at the time. a year on, and i've added to both my experience and bag mostly through luck and a watchful eye (star lycan, squall, and a couple of beat up DX rocs)

from the parallel thread on Roc vs buzzz, i gather the r-pro is somewhere between unpopular and reviled. the plus mold (which i find comfortable in my hand) change this view? any easy answers on why the r-pro (and plus mold?) seem to be a "miss" among regular Roc throwers?

I personally just don't like the feel of R-Pro, but I generally don't like any softer plastics.

DX and KC work and feel great to me so no reason to look elsewhere.

Or have other disc's reached the same legendary status but without the spotlight or fame of the ROC?

The Roc backed up the term 'disc golf' by trasitioning it from just one of many frisbee games that grew out of the 70's to a non spectator-dependent sport. One where talented individuals could stand out and, like ball golf, distinguish itself with many similar dynamics. Yes, I think disc golf was largely a coat-tail rider at its inception. Play a round with ancient lids only and you'll see what I mean.

CE plastic was a similar revolution. Each of these will never be repeated again... maybe why the CE Roc is the most expensive disc out there despite a half dozen that fly and last exactly the same for under $20 (ESP Wasp gets my vote).

all 27 pages read :eek: and this was the only direct mention of the R-Pro+mold. i bought mine used (pre-seasoned?) from a friend who recommended to pair with a fuse, that was my only mid at the time. a year on, and i've added to both my experience and bag mostly through luck and a watchful eye (star lycan, squall, and a couple of beat up DX rocs)

from the parallel thread on Roc vs buzzz, i gather the r-pro is somewhere between unpopular and reviled. the plus mold (which i find comfortable in my hand) change this view? any easy answers on why the r-pro (and plus mold?) seem to be a "miss" among regular Roc throwers?

The is molds are not at all popular and R-pro isn't too much either. I like the grippyness of it and the angled rim is really nice to prevent grip lock.

Glad at least one other person likes it!

R-Pro just isn't all that durable in my experience; I also hate the feel. It's OK to me as a winter disc plastic; it's grippy at a time when grip is a problem and firms up some in the hand when it's cold.

The Roc+ was the answer to a question no one was asking.

The is molds are not at all popular and R-pro isn't too much either. I like the grippyness of it and the angled rim is really nice to prevent grip lock.

Glad at least one other person likes it!

While the ones in the R-Pro weren't too popular, those gummy champ Roc +'s they had as a USDGC fundraiser a couple of years ago were nice flyers.

So im a newb thrown few rocs and love them they let me know when I screw up throwing and when thrown right im rewarded.. Now I know everyone talks bout cycling rocs in dx or KC and I totally understand it but y doesn't neone carry a star rancho? Can't say noone does but never hear much bout them.I started with the star KC and dx and me personally is a nice lineup especially if you have couple kids to beat crap outta dx. Y doesn't star get ne love.

So im a newb thrown few rocs and love them they let me know when I screw up throwing and when thrown right im rewarded.. Now I know everyone talks bout cycling rocs in dx or KC and I totally understand it but y doesn't neone carry a star rancho? Can't say noone does but never hear much bout them.I started with the star KC and dx and me personally is a nice lineup especially if you have couple kids to beat crap outta dx. Y doesn't star get ne love.

First of all, chill out on the pidgin english!

Second, I don't know why either. The star plastic seems to have less glide than KC or DX but for me that's the point if I'm pairing with nicely seasoned discs.

I think I'm going to focus on kc rocs. My dx rocs are always one errant full power drive from becoming turnover discs. One of them got a big crease in the flight plate. I was happy with the turn at first and enjoyed it. Now it is getting flippy very fast. The dx glow I've got is still okay, but only a couple rounds and now it is becoming my straight roc. Problem is, I've been comparing plh on my kc pro that feels like money to all the others and it is noticeably less domey and also has a higher plh. I need a 1:1 replacement. It's just a 12x so hopefully it won't. E a problem.

agree koda, when i threw dx rocs id need a fresh one every other week. was nice to have a variety of stabilities, and be able to lose one and 'make' another one in a week, but when you play often it gets kinda old. my kc rocs always held up better.

maybe i should throw rocs again...

I think I'm going to focus on kc rocs. My dx rocs are always one errant full power drive from becoming turnover discs. One of them got a big crease in the flight plate. I was happy with the turn at first and enjoyed it. Now it is getting flippy very fast. The dx glow I've got is still okay, but only a couple rounds and now it is becoming my straight roc. Problem is, I've been comparing plh on my kc pro that feels like money to all the others and it is noticeably less domey and also has a higher plh. I need a 1:1 replacement. It's just a 12x so hopefully it won't. E a problem.
You just have to keep looking. Out of every 100 Rocs I see, 98 are pretty decent, one is domey crap and one is straight-up $$$. Just gotta keep picking them up.

The last one I bought that was straight-up $$$ is a 12X KC Pro. It had some flash, but once I wore that down it was perfect.

You just have to keep looking. Out of every 100 Rocs I see, 98 are pretty decent, one is domey crap and one is straight-up $$$. Just gotta keep picking them up.

The last one I bought that was straight-up $$$ is a 12X KC Pro. It had some flash, but once I wore that down it was perfect.

yeah, i've noticed that some of the lighter 12x kc rocs seem to be more solid, the plastic has more grip to it too. mine is 176g, not ideal. i think maybe they're older ones that have been on the shelf for a while. all the kc rocs i've been comparing are ok but none of them have as high a PLH as my 176.

i guess i was just hoping that the "regular" KC rocs started off more OS.

suspicions somewhat confirmed. had the chance to get out to a retailer today and every yellow kc pro roc was around 175-177g, flatter than the 180g, the plh was *very* noticeably higher and the plastic is harder with more of a matte texture. snapped a couple up for backups. i like the 180g kc pro, they fly nice and straight with fade, but i need something else to bookend things. these are perfect. some of the sub 170g rocs were like this too, even the non-yellow.

also, i think i'm turning into a bit of a base plastic selection snob. felt up the dx glow teebirds and glow rocs; that dx feels way more solid. loved it.

FWIW, 177g is pretty beefy in a Roc. I have no problems going from 180-175g.

After two years of playing I'm finally really giving the Roc a shot. I've tried a light DX Roc and a Jack-o-lantern Roc I found in a cheap bin but never gelled with them.

Then a few weeks ago I got a Roc3. Not bad. Working with it.

Then last week I got a 180 KC Pro Roc. From the first throw it was gold. It just flies really great and is really accurate and I can throw it on so many lines. I don't know how it has such a solid fade but I can throw it on shot anny upshots and it doesn't turn back. It just holds the line beautifully.

Yesterday I hit a 100 foot shoot to save par with it. A slight hyzer pin high right into the chains.

I've got a Z Glo Comet that I love. So, so straight, with no fade. The KC reminds me of that Comet but it can take more power, doesn't need the finesse, and has the fade. They are a great combo.

It actually putts really well too. I hit the band on two 65-75 foot jump putts during that same game.

I'm not big on having to buy a new discs every two weeks so I hope the KC last a little while.

yea i think a 175+ kc roc is the most consistent/best way to experience a true roc.
dx, you have to get the good older ones to see the magic. I hate the dry brittle type plastic from rocs, mainly the ontario ones with the bird on em.

For a lot of the time frame of the Ontario DX plastic sucked, so you have to be careful with those. There are good ones out there, though. The early and late Ontario plastic was good.

I'll recommend Rocs down to 175g but for myself I'll throw Rocs in a bunch of weights. When I started throwing them 172g was as heavy as I would go; I threw mostly 166-168g Rocs. I still have a bunch of those light ones around that I throw. If I'm not throwing into a headwind they are great. Once it gets windy I'm going to stick to a fresh heavy one. Eliminate the wind and 172-174g are probably the best weight for my arm speed; I get some great long throws from those.