• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

yea i actually love 150 kc rocs. dx i usually have 176 or less. awesome roc weights.
i really don't like 180 for rocs unless super windy.

I carry 4 rocs. DX 173 flippy, KC 176 favorite mid, dead straight at 80% power, 180 KC slightly more stable but mainly a backup to the 176. I was throwing a Z wasp in the overtsable spot. But I just picked up a really nice Ranch Star 180 that is more stable than the wasp. So the Rancho has the spot now.

I don't understand how you guys go through DX Rocs in a matter of weeks.

To the point where you find them unusable at least.

I've had the same DX Glo Roc for 5 years.

I love that disc.

I love that disc.
I had this Roc that was in a bunch I custom ordered so I know I got it in the summer of '98. It was DX and 172g. That thing was nine years old before it ever flipped. Of course I lived in Chicago for most of that time and played park-style courses where you could go a long time between hitting anything...

I love that disc.

I throw hard and I hit stuff.

To be fair, I dialed it back on the one with a crease in the flight plate and now it is a wonderful finesse mid from a standstill. Goes miles . I've tagged a few trees with my dx glow and it takes the abuse better than the regular dx I have, but I almost creased this one too.

Last edited:
I could see a dx roc that hits stationary objects on a full pull getting beat pretty quickly. I tagged a light pole with my stingray from about 15 ft once and it was badly miss shaped. it instantantly became a flip monster . My kc has taken about 6 months to get straight, and it's a thing of beauty right now. A few good tree and sidewalk diggers, flat flight plate with a clover top , and about a third of the bead worn away = yummy goodness! Tons of tee box comments when I throw my kc on a string. If I need a little fade, I simply throw it higher. Point and shoot laser beams is it's best use. Not flippy at all , but will hold a anny line if you want it. Love my roc. Would cry for days if I lost it. that's the down side of a well seasoned disc being one of your go to discs. I have a fresh dx on top for a little more fade when needed, and a 180 star that's super beefy and can handle a full pull into the wind with out any worries of a turn over. I do not have a turn over roc yet. If you don't like large diameter discs, I find a spy dear to be very similar in flight.

At a minimum, I'm carrying four:
Flat topped Kc at 180. Fast, little glide, the Buzz-that's-better-than-a-Buzzz Roc
Beat 178 Kc. Annys. Glidey. Shapeable.
Fresh 180 Kc. Slight os. Reliable. Straight to fade.
Star 175. OS. Wonderful OS machine.
Then one Obex. Vibram's slightly faster Roc.

They're the heart of my game. Or maybe they're the soul.

Or maybe the Soles are the soul. But Rocs are the bees knees, regardless.

Last edited:
As long as I can keep one of those yellow kc in my bag I'll only need three. Probably an understable dx, a straight kc and the fresh yellow for handling the wind.

It seems everyone is throwing star rocs for the os role, though? How beefy are they?

The Star roc I picked up recently is beefier than my z wasp for sure. I was what I wanted the wasp to be. So it fills the slot better and kicks out another mold which is fine for me. Even though the wasp and roc mold is similar.

Star Rocs are beefy but don't have the glide I'm looking for. I still have a Sentinel in that slot.

The one I have has way more glide than I remember so of the older runs I have had in the past and have since dumped.

My yellow kc rocs proved themselves today in the wind. Not out on full rips, but went straight with fade into 15 mph winds. My white one turned. These are on 280' foot shots, I was very happy. :)

I'm not gonna lie... I LOVE rocs and roc3s but for head winds I throw flat wasps. Pretty much the same disc when it comes to feel, but hold a line in a headwind

I feel like a fresh roc is a great headwind disc. Even better is a lightly seasoned one thrown with hyzer. Super predictable and just will not turn (throw them correctly).

so the nerd in me wanted to post this brief picture comparison.

here's my white/cream 180g roc vs my yellow. it is the same PLH and same dome as all the other white 180g i've seen in GGGT/fairway flyerz/air traffic, etc.

yellow 174-176g is on the right...obviously... i've got 3 of them so far and will probably stockpile them.

IMAG0020_zpsqlv5k8tv.jpg

IMAG0021_zpsvj7pz0zy.jpg

yellow is more matte and more grippy as well.

IMAG0022_zpsxn79jlkc.jpg

so yeah, those yellows are great. they're marked kcr vs. "kc" on the white one. not sure if there's any sort of pattern but yeah. the variation is fascinating in its consistency, if that makes sense.

Very good info. That yellow KC looks like a beaut, I'll have to keep my eye out for one. I've also found that the yellow KC Aviars are nicer than their white brethren as well. Much grippier than typical KC plastic imo.

Yeah don't get me wrong, the white rocs I've been picking up are great straight with fade at first but it seems the yellow ones are more typical nicely overstable how a roc is supposed to fly judging by people's posts about the roc in general. It's nice because the white one is my workhorse mid and the yellows can do flex shots, wind, etc.