• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Lol I look forward to the day that we can do something like this as well :hfive:

That said, our mid will likely slide right in as a seasonable Sentinel competitor vs. a Roc competitor. You really cannot beat the Roc.

Exactly why I would never make another stable PnA with Gateway bc the Wizard is just THE disc in that category.

I'll report back with the USDGC findings though. I don't know why I want to replace the Vector as it flies super nicely for me... but I just must.

Same. I love the vector, but I just have no interest in MVP anymore for whatever reason. Colorglow p2 knocked out my envy(although still bag my 175 Soft N oreo for super HSS) euro md3 for my vector... MVP just has me goin :sick: lately!

Same. I love the vector, but I just have no interest in MVP anymore for whatever reason. Colorglow p2 knocked out my envy(although still bag my 175 Soft N oreo for super HSS) euro md3 for my vector... MVP just has me goin :sick: lately!

I've been an MVP fan since I started playing several years ago and I've gone through the natural waves of obsession but I've become disillusioned of late :|

My Rocs are flying amazingly well and my JL Teebs are just begging to be thrown again.
Once a Roc thrower.. always a Roc thrower I'd suspect.

Once a Roc thrower.. always a Roc thrower I'd suspect.

+1

I also have a Vector, I use it when I play an "MVP Only" bag, and it does pretty well for me... but it has no chance of beating out the Roc3 to get into my Core bag. Nothing against the Vector, I just like the Roc3 better.

It could be that to throw almost any MVP disc, one has to really put that *snap* spin on it to get the overmold to do the GYRO it's supposed to do. So I don't feel comfortable throwing the Vector at reduced power. But I can throw the Roc3 powered-down (yes, it fades hard). So that might be the difference. Just speculation...

Yeah, I feel you guys. I've bagged various MVP molds ever since the company started, and currently I've got an N Vector and an F Volt in the bag. Honestly, something that has really turned me off of MVP is the fanboys on these forums who are constantly pushing MVP in every thread and unable to admit that other companies' discs might be superior for some people or for some slots. Those attitudes just make me feel embarrassed to be an MVP fan. Also, I really wanted to love the Photon and auditioned it for quite a while, but it just doesn't fly as far or as consistently for me as most of the other distance drivers I like (Destroyers, Scorpiuses, Terns, Bosses, etc.). In field tests, it was consistently shorter, even on rips that felt really good.

I also hate to love Innova sometimes (big, established company, etc.), but they just make most of the molds I really love and throw the best, so I'm stuck there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I feel you guys. I've bagged various MVP molds ever since the company started, and currently I've got an N Vector and an F Volt in the bag. Honestly, something that has really turned me off of MVP is the fanboys on these forums who are constantly pushing MVP in every thread and unable to admit that other companies' discs might be superior for some people or for some slots. Those attitudes just make me feel embarrassed to be an MVP fan. Also, I really wanted to love the Photon and auditioned it for quite a while, but it just doesn't fly as far or as consistently for me as most of the other distance drivers I like (Destroyers, Scorpiuses, Terns, Bosses, etc.). In field tests, it was consistently shorter, even on rips that felt really good.

I also hate to love Innova sometimes (big, established company, etc.), but they just make most of the molds I really love and throw the best, so I'm stuck there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think we are all just a bunch of self-loathing losers that find joy in throwing plastic plates in various weights and shapes.... :|

That said... ROCS RULE!
Only an hour before I'm heading home to fondle my USDGC. :gross:

Initial 2015 USDGC Roc review:
-great feeling JL plastic
-moderate dome. Not massive but more than a standard DX/KC
-stamp is killer

After a mini field session I found the flight to be similar to an 11x fresh Roc. Overstable & reliable but maintained a "Roc" flight. I could force it over and it would ride anny for the majority of it's flight, then fight at end.

Hyzer shots were reliable and steady. Flat rips saw no turn and a late but chunky finish.

Thrown side by side with a Protege Ghost I found them to be pretty similar in terms of HSS but the Roc features a less forward fade.

Ill be rocking it on the course tomorrow to get some actual tee shots but I'm pleased. I think it is surely less workable than my Vector. Also feels much less capable of line drive rips.

I had a domey 3x Roc3 in my bag that was super beefy and a Vector that was used for slightly straighter and more forward finishing shots. Took them both out of the bag for a flat 2x Roc3 and didn't miss them at all. What I need to know now is how long it would take to work a Protege Ghost into the straight and turnover mid slot. Right now those go to McPro Roc3s, but the stock is running low at the house so I'll have to drop another $140 at the Proshop for more. If I can get similar distance to my Roc3 (280' - 300') in a pro plastic that takes longer to break in, I may just have to spend that money on Ghosts.

So is there anything I could get out of a Roc that a Shark variant won't do? I have a XT Shark that is being stubborn and not breaking in fast enough (I mostly play park type courses and rarely hit trees). I saw someone earlier in the thread say the XT Rocs break in fast.

Right now I have a really stable MF Shark3, an XT Shark that might barely turn but still fades reliably, and a beat DX Shark that is pretty workable. Was hoping to get a shark to go dead straight but it is not happening for me now.

Mostly curious if I could get that out of some Rocs (I do really like my XT sharks, it is nice plastic).

Discmania is always a great option, but I throw destros firebirds and zones outside of them

So is there anything I could get out of a Roc that a Shark variant won't do? I have a XT Shark that is being stubborn and not breaking in fast enough (I mostly play park type courses and rarely hit trees). I saw someone earlier in the thread say the XT Rocs break in fast.

Right now I have a really stable MF Shark3, an XT Shark that might barely turn but still fades reliably, and a beat DX Shark that is pretty workable. Was hoping to get a shark to go dead straight but it is not happening for me now.

Mostly curious if I could get that out of some Rocs (I do really like my XT sharks, it is nice plastic).

I don't know how well your Sharks do in headwinds, but the Roc3 works very well for me in headwinds... straight flight, then dropoff is to the left (RHBH) in calm conditions and a less pronounced fade in headwinds.

Other than that, you'd probably not find major differences between the Rocs and Sharks.

i find roc3's to be a bit flippy in headwinds. shark3 is super overstable.

You should be able to get a roc or a roc3 to go more dead straight. Other then that the two discs are super similar, just with a different hand feel. I tried a shark3 a while back and loved it, but it doesn't do anything that my rocs don't do already.

I have older chalky-almost kc rocs and aviars, felt a few at store and they're very waxy feeling now too. Very slick. The ones I have at home are almost Gateway plastic-ish, and I prefer that feel over this waxy, cheap plastic feel. Is this how current runs are or were these just weird?

I have older chalky-almost kc rocs and aviars, felt a few at store and they're very waxy feeling now too. Very slick. The ones I have at home are almost Gateway plastic-ish, and I prefer that feel over this waxy, cheap plastic feel. Is this how current runs are or were these just weird?

Classic Blend Judges have that "chalky" feel. Classic plastic is a bit hard and slick, and Classic Soft is softer but has that feel, too.

i find roc3's to be a bit flippy in headwinds. shark3 is super overstable.

I haven't tried the Shark3, perhaps I should, but I also find the Roc3 to be a bit flippy in the headwind. I don't particularly like the Roc3, not really. Yet I'm still bagging it like a moron

Don't have much experience with a shark but I will say that xt rocs don't break in that quickly in my opinion.

Thanks for all the feedback, think I am going to keep the sharks though. May end up switching to rocs one day if they don't do another run of xt sharks though.