• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official Prodigy Website Security Thread

Not really, it was just kind of dodging the question. Saying "we make mistakes" does not absolve you from shipping illegal weight discs, discs with messed up hot stamps, and discs with significant molding imperfections and not having them marked as X-Outs.

That being said, I'm sure he is addressing those things through other means, just not through DGCR.

Patience will pay off, I will definitely still try a D4 some time this spring/summer

I agree, he took responsibility and said he is going to change the issues. Fine that is the responsible thing to say. However, a company that is claiming to change the face of disc golf shouldn't have had these issues. Missing a release date by a month and disappointing customers is WAY better than just shipping what you got and hiding under the cover of first run or proto. There is a ton of excitement, these discs must have (at least should have) been looked over with a fine tooth comb. I don't understand how these things (mis stamps, out of shape discs, heavy discs, fuzzy printing) could not have been noticed. The feeling I get is that Prodigy overlooked these flaws and sent out bad product knowing it was bad. Lavone even talks about time constraints and justifies it with the proto tag. Excitement and pressure from the pros switching overuled sound quality control and marketing practices. In this situation the public has to suffer for bad decisions by the manufacturer. We shouldnt have to decide whether to just accept sub par quality goods.
Consumer products companies make mistakes all the time and spend lots of money doing it. Sometimes their mistakes are overcome with superior quality, marketing, and service in the future. Sometimes they don't recover from those mistakes. Think about companies like Xerox, Lexmark, and Blackberry.

I sincerely hope that Prodigy (regardless) of the cost commits to providing the best disc golf products possible. If they cannot deliver on this committment, it is acceptable to delay releases. I was excited, and still am, to finally see the emergance of a disc golf company that uses best practices, total quality management, and good manufacturing processes along with a beefy marketing plan to turn the disc golf world upside down. Why do I care about any new company if they aren't striving from day 1 to be better than what we already have.

I took Lavone's post as a basic, "We screwed some stuff up, we know it, but now we're going to fix it."

It's all good, in my book. At least he came on here and was willing to talk about it.
^ this

He admitted the mistakte. They got rushed and let that rush cause them to make bad decisions. They can overcome this slip up. It may take time but the damage can be undone.

flawes on a proto aren't bad, because they are collectors items. so it shouldn't affect flight when it's hanging on the wall. :)

Yes but also more consistent, cheaper, looks better:)

How could they look better when theyre basically the same?
As to more consistent, only time will tell. I highly doubt you have a large enough sample size for either to have formed an educated opinion.

Why dont you go troll the water cooler or something.

From fb:

Prodigy Disc would like to make vendors and competitors aware that a limited number of overweight D1 and D4 discs were recently released. Although these discs may vary in weight by only a few grams, they are not in compliance with PDGA technical standards and thus cannot be used in a PDGA sanctioned event. Fortunately this oversight was discovered early and only affected a very limited number of Prototypes. Prodigy has since taken the necessary measures to insure that all disc weights will be in conformance with PDGA standards moving forward.

From fb:

Prodigy Disc would like to make vendors and competitors aware that a limited number of overweight D1 and D4 discs were recently released. Although these discs may vary in weight by only a few grams, they are not in compliance with PDGA technical standards and thus cannot be used in a PDGA sanctioned event. Fortunately this oversight was discovered early and only affected a very limited number of Prototypes. Prodigy has since taken the necessary measures to insure that all disc weights will be in conformance with PDGA standards moving forward.

Then they should think of a different way to mark the good stuff. I'd say right now if I saw a proto or first run Prodigy disc, I would assume that it is out of spec...(not that I would ever call a player on that) I bet there are pro's out there that will.

I was at a company early in my career. A small batch of ink was found to have some metal shavings that "might" affect the writing of the pen. (these were $.20 pens!) It maybe affected 2-3% of the product. We sent a note and recalled ALL product sent in that time period then developed a label/stamp design and for a year spent the extra effort to mark new product uniquely so that the retailers would be confident in the product they had on their shelves. That may be extreme, however, it was our mistake and we made good on it. Im confident that a number of those retailers remember that and continue to purchase from that company regardless of cost. A bad situation turned good...but we caught the problem early on and were proactive about communicating the issue and the fix. THAT is how you change the face of disc golf.

I like their logo, but they really blew it on the visual/name appeal.

Look how crazy people are to buy a disc with a dirty old vulture on it. Look at Lat 64; their designs and names add to the appeal of the product.

Generic looking discs aren't gonna sell to the masses that expect a little pop and snap with their plastic.

Yeah the pros like it, but how many of them are there???

There's nothing about a bland looking disc with a bland looking name that says "buy me!"

Way to be a sweeping generalization. It depends on the person. I definitely prefer discs with uniform, clean stamps like these. So do many other people. That is why "team" edition discraft discs that feature the simply discraft bar stamp are popular.

Hell, I preferred when Latitude simply had their swoop logo with the disc mold name underneath it (think Primitus, Mirus, Medius era plastic) And is why I like their Gold Line's stamp aesthetic much more than Opto.

And these are proto stamps. These aren't mass production stamps, so I think it's safe to say that you're over reacting. You cannot compare one picture from one company to multiple pictures from multiple companies. You just can't because it's not logical.

And simple and uniform over creature and crazy any day. :)

I never post on here, but I was checking out this thread and realized that there is an unbelievable amount of cry babies on here. I understand complaints about discs being overweight and dimpled, but to be so upset about the stamps is ridiculous. And to say that the stamp isn't cool enough to appeal to the masses (or whatever that complaint was) is laughable at best. I have never bought a disc based on stamp art and never will. I do however think the Prodigy logo is pretty smooth. So if you find yourself worrying about that stupid stamp do everyone a favor and just stop throwing discs all together. I know a lot panties are going to get all bunched up after I post this, but if you don't like it just don't buy their product and leave it at that.

I never post on here, but I was checking out this thread and realized that there is an unbelievable amount of cry babies on here. I understand complaints about discs being overweight and dimpled, but to be so upset about the stamps is ridiculous. And to say that the stamp isn't cool enough to appeal to the masses (or whatever that complaint was) is laughable at best. I have never bought a disc based on stamp art and never will. I do however think the Prodigy logo is pretty smooth. So if you find yourself worrying about that stupid stamp do everyone a favor and just stop throwing discs all together. I know a lot panties are going to get all bunched up after I post this, but if you don't like it just don't buy their product and leave it at that.

I am not one of the complainers but how did you pick your 1st disc?

I know mine was because of the stamp....same reason I bought a lot of Lightning discs when I started

The stamp has a lot to do with a disc's appeal. I will not buy Discmania's S line because of their ugly stamps. I do like Prodigy's stamp though. It's clean, and simple. I like the "less is more" look.

The stamp has a lot to do with a disc's appeal. I will not buy Discmania's S line because of their ugly stamps. I do like Prodigy's stamp though. It's clean, and simple. I like the "less is more" look.

Man, agreeing with BigSky yet again. :hfive:

I too like the simple but elegant stamps on a lot of the discs. Lat 64 Gold Line, MVP Neutron, and Innova Star to name a few. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Glad we get a few thousand to choose from. :D

Man, agreeing with BigSky yet again. :hfive:

Yeah i really dig simplicity in a logo as well.

I am not one of the complainers but how did you pick your 1st disc?

Let's see... The fist disc i bought was a Discraft Xpress. I really bought it because it was really comfortable in my hand and the flight chart said it would go straight. I'll admit that I did really like the stamp on it, but that's only because it was one of the Z's that had the tiny stamp on the wing

My 1st disc was a 180g Scoripion. I picked it because it was the biggest one they had. :D

My second purchase of discs involved mostly lightning. This was before any good flight charts were available...but the lightning stuff had the flight paths right on the stamp!

It was kinda funny when my #1 Roller flew like every other disc....meathook left.