• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official Prodigy Website Security Thread

But I can see the DB am move where the guy who takes 8th place intermediate and bumps the 9th place guy out of cash getting called out for using overweight discs. As a td I would never weigh peoples discs but how is it to be addressed if a player calls out another?

What TDs should do to handle player challenges regarding overweight or flex issues is a question for the PDGA office or Tour Manager, Andrew. In theory, if the TD can't directly measure these challenged characteristics in the field, the disc(s) in question would probably be sent to the IDGC for testing. So, it's a rules question, not a Tech Standards issue.

So to ease possible concerns, don't even bother with a scale? Chuck, I believe you got an email yesterday regarding cart use at my event right?

But I can see the DB am move where the guy who takes 8th place intermediate and bumps the 9th place guy out of cash getting called out for using overweight discs. As a td I would never weigh peoples discs but how is it to be addressed if a player calls out another?

I think this also assumes that many in your tourney are hangong out on these forums and thinking about overweight discs more than their game. I don't think that is a likely scenario, but I could be wrong. I am figuring since you are asking, though, that it's never been an issue before.

True, but it is on the front page of PDGA.com now though. http://www.pdga.com/announcements/pdga-addresses-overweight-disc-issue so anyone going on the site to sign up for the event would have the chance to see it. Prodigy also posted it on FB so there is many other avenues for players to see it.

I would forget to bring a scale to the tourney. Just because Prodigy might be a hot issue right now doesn't mean that every other manufactures discs aren't over weight because it wasn't publicized. I have seen many 182 buzzzs, wizards, 176 innova warp speeders.. If you weigh one persons then the only fair thing to do is weigh everyone's.

I've never played in a tourny or been a td, so my question.

I really don't think it would be the td's responsiblity to weight everyone's discs, but if one player were to call another out, wouldn't it be the responsiblity of the td to make a rulling for the tournement? Therefore, wouldn't the td be obligated to weigh discs that are questioned?

i wouldn't instigate something like this but if someone called me on it, you damn sure know i'm going to call out some of theirs.

I don't think noodle arms like me should be anywhere near a D1 :)

Having thrown a D1 a couple of times, I would tend to agree, but I have to admit I was cold and sore the day they came to demo the discs, and I had not warmed up. But I get the impression the D1 is for big arms, and most of us will get more out of a D4, or maybe a 2 or 3 when they release those. Kinda like most of us will get more out of a Katana than an XCaliber (though Prodigy would not want their discs compared to other brands, I think the analogy is useful).

As a TD, I would expect the person calling the player out to prove his point. Innocent until proven guilty. If you are concerned about a players disc, you should produce the scale.

I really don't think it would be the td's responsiblity to weight everyone's discs, but if one player were to call another out, wouldn't it be the responsiblity of the td to make a rulling for the tournement? Therefore, wouldn't the td be obligated to weigh discs that are questioned?

Never mind.

http://conraddamon.com/pdga/2013/rules2013.html

801.02 Discs Used in Play

Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal.

A disc that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

So technically, the moment another player questions your disc, it is illegal.

If somebody calls out an overweight disc the TD makes the final decision as to its legality. Ideally it would be weighed right there on the spot, and if can't be proven to be illegal then it's still fair game to use. At that point it's up to the TD to have the means to actually make an accurate ruling, and that's where the problem lies. In a perfect world everybody's discs would be scaled before a tournament and anything overweight would not be used, but realistically it's not going to happen, at least not at this point.

So 5-6 holes into a tourney, I see that a competitor is killing it with a new D1 and so I question it's weight and he's stuck NOT using it until the TD can weigh it?

Not that i would EVER do something like this.

None of these recent issues (weight and flex) would be a problem if the governing body actually governed proactively and levied penalties for manufacturer negligence...

Latest posts