• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official Prodigy Website Security Thread

None of these recent issues (weight and flex) would be a problem if the governing body actually governed proactively and levied penalties for manufacturer negligence...

:clap:

I agree, but it is really up to the player to know if there discs are legal.

^^^ I disagree. When I buy a disc and it says PDGA Approved on it then I assume it's legal. You don't see people buying golf balls and checking them do you?

No. But then the Rules of Golf don't have a rule about overweight balls being illegal either.

pdga approved just means that the mold passed pdga approval. the individual disc itself still has to fall within legal specifications.

No. But then the Rules of Golf don't have a rule about overweight balls being illegal either.

They don't, are you sure there isnt a weight min and max? They have a rule about ball size and ball compression and we aren't taking micrometers to them or testing them on a press. Remember the ball that came out a 10 or so years ago that was supposed to be the farthest golfball ever? It was slightly smaller, not PGA approved. Like our ninja disc.

The way golf balls are tested for weight and shape is 24 at a time. Even if up to 3 fail, that ball model still passes that test and gets to be added to the USGA list of conforming balls for one year. So it's possible when you buy a dozen balls, one or two might be overweight. But they are legal to use. A single overweight ball is not illegal and that's why balls soaking in a pond can still be legal even if they pick up weight. Consider that there's only one max weight for a golf ball compared with all of the max weight specs for discs of different sizes. Plus how many golfers are using the same ball after even three months of regular play? Discs are really a hybrid of balls and clubs in golf. So how things are handled with the specs has to be done differently.

Last edited:
I think people are taking this whole thing to the extreme. Take your bag and star weighing every disc. Ive been selling a lot of disc lately and weighing them. I havent found a company yet that is right on the money and all of them seem to be on the high side by a considerable amount. Especially Innova and Discraft.

Then lets say I weigh them and its deemed illegal and someone pulls out another scale that weighs it as legal. Then what?

All scales have some variance as will all discs especailly when weighing in grams.

Will we get to a point where all TD's will be required to buy quality $10,000 dollar scales that are as precise as possible.

I just had a guy ask me about 10 questions in regard to the weight of these, wanting something that doesnt exist. the perfectly weighed disc.

End rant

Oh ya I have some of these obese discs for sale! $22 shipped or 43 for a pair.

www.plasticaddicts.storenvy.com

takes actual power to "govern" anything...

They managed to poo poo on Aerobie and Quest's parades, but I understand what you're saying. There is power in this sport, but it's not within the PDGA.

**Aluminum Foil Hat alert**
I'm waiting for the day Innova's market share dwindles to the point where they make the PDGA revoke everyone else's approval.

All scales can be acceptable if you also have an official weight for calibration. A roll of quarters weighs 226.8 grams in a pinch.

No wrap. A current (not older silver) quarter weighs 5.67g x 40 = 226.8g (If you find a silver one, keep it)
30 quarters = 170.1g and 20 would be 113.4g. Any of these would be good enough as a calibration method. One nickel weighs 5.0g but it's usually harder to come up with 10 nickels to even get to 50g.

Will we see TDs scouting where the Laundromats are near the course to get quarters? ;)

Latest posts