• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

Servo and Resistor should be around a "speed 7" based on the measurements. And the Volt,Amp,Shock are a "speed 9" category.

Can't wait to see a Mike C test vid of the Servo. Hoping for -1 Turn, and 2 Fade compared to the Resistor with 0 Turn and 3 Fade

Speed 11 volt-like stability Distance drivers would be nice to see in the future.

Wow, this is like so amazing. I'm super duper pooper pumped up!!! I hope it flys like a Leopard. That would be cool to see a Leopard flight! Woot!

dude, nothing compares to the flight of an mvp disc. /in4d

True^

The extra weight in the rim (GYRO Tech, that other discs don't have) changes the flight slightly, not a huge difference, but the transitions going into the Turn and Fade last slightly longer than a disc without the GYRO. Meaning the disc holds the line you put it on longer.

This is because gyroscopes resist having their plane of axis rotated.

ALL discs have a gyroscopic effect, but MVP discs have MORE of a gyroscopic effect because of more weight/mass being put into that GYRO rim, thus giving them unique flight characteristics that nothing can compare to.

MVP Disc Mass of Rim:Core ratio is more in the rim, compared to any other disc that has an equal core:rim ratio.

:D

Last edited:
True^

The extra weight in the rim (GYRO Tech, that other discs don't have) changes the flight slightly, not a huge difference, but the transitions going into the Turn and Fade last slightly longer than a disc without the GYRO. Meaning the disc holds the line you put it on longer.

ALL discs have a gyroscopic effect, but MVP discs have MORE of a gyroscopic effect because of more weight/mass being put into that GYRO rim, thus giving them unique flight characteristics that nothing can compare to.

MVP Disc Mass of Rim:Core ratio is more in the rim, compared to any other disc that has an equal core:rim ratio.

I'm interested in more information on this Gyro technology.

Has anybody actually cut up a disc to check this? I understand the concept but haven't actually seen any hard evidence that the weight distribution of these discs is any different than a 'regular' disc. I would love to see somebody remove the rim from the flightplate of a variety of discs, show me actual numbers, and then show me the real effect that the numbers have on performance.

MVP gyro push, much like Latitude "glide", seems to be something that people promote without the ability to quantify. I'd love to see actual numbers.

True^

Clearly you have drank the kool aid...

At the rate the disc are spinning the gyroscopic effect is so little that under no amount of snap could you ever actually see a measurable difference. I balance rotor blades on bell 205, 212 and 214 helicopters everyday. On a 52 foot diameter rotor system it takes as little as 3 ounces on the end of a rotor to throw it out of balance and negate the gyroscopic procession that is associated with a typical gyroscope. So three ounces on the end of a 600 pound rotor system. The mico gram difference in an mvp disc vs a regular disc could never ever be measured.

I love mpv... well the mids anyway. Im not hating on the company, but its marketing. Going on the way you do you just sound ignorant.

while i don't disagree on in4d-- from your comparison it sounds like its MORE than marketing being 3 OZ is nothing in regards to 600lbs of force....? so yes grams could impact within less force I would think'

your example states that 84grams impacts a system which can move over 250k so basically if the rim is 3% heavier or more than the core then its not just marketing.. correct?

Last edited:

I love my MVP discs. Have every mold, and several of most of the molds.

But the gyroscopic effect is overstated. The rotational center of mass is only a teeny tiny bit farther out, and even if it was noticeably farther out, it would also negatively affect initial spin as well.

So, to some degree, any added "gyroscopic effect" is offset by slower initial Rpms from the same throwing motion.

Clearly you have drank the kool aid...

I love mpv... well the mids anyway. Im not hating on the company, but its marketing. Going on the way you do you just sound ignorant.

The GYRO difference may not be huge, like i said, but any small change will make a difference regardless of whether you notice it or not.

Why would MVP invest more time/cost/complexity into making discs with GYRO over-molds if it had no effect? That's not good marketing if your trying to make money. It costs them at least twice as much to do this, yet they sell at similar wholesale prices to retailers as other companies and they are not selling twice and many discs as other companies to make up for twice the costs. At best they are selling 1/2 the amount of discs as other companies (At least this is the trend at my local shop) at twice the cost to manufacture. :doh:

I think they are trying to be innovative and make better discs by putting more weight into the rim and making them consistent as possible.

I knew this thread would get hilarious when Plex eventually showed up.

any added "gyroscopic effect" is offset by slower initial Rpms from the same throwing motion.

That's a good point, but were not dealing with large mass, try getting a 100 pound GYRO wheel spinning compared to one thats only 20 pounds and its going to take a LOT of power to get that heavy one spinning in comparison, so i understand exactly where your coming from.

Were talking about ~170g plastic discs, i think the spin generated off the snap of your finger tips is enough force to get that much weight spinning at the same speed regardless if there is 5, 10 or even 20% more weight in the rim for added gyroscopic effect because of the low weights we are dealing with. In theory it would be slightly harder to get that extra weight spinning, but at this small level i don't think you would see a difference in spin speeds off the release.

Now that would be an interesting experiment to try using a slow motion camera to capture the spin speeds between MVP GYRO discs, and Non-GYRO discs!!

My hypothesis: Rotation speeds would be the same.

But it would be an interesting experiment to find a definitive conclusion.

If anyone could supply me with a high FPS slo-mo camera i would love to do this experiment. You could even use the camera to analyze Turn/Fade periods and how long it takes to transition with added GYRO tech.. MVP would have to mold a test disc with a perfectly equal rim:core ratio in order to do such an experiment though =/

Last edited:
Why would MVP invest more time/cost/complexity into making discs with GYRO over-molds if it had no effect? That's not good marketing if your trying to make money.

I don't think you understand how marketing works.

but at this small level i don't think you would see a difference in spin speeds off the release./

I think this thought applies to the whole "gyro" thing. There likely is a negligible difference in flight, but it's just that- negligible.

I would love to be proven wrong, though.

I think this thought applies to the whole "gyro" thing. There likely is a negligible difference in flight, but it's just that- negligible.

I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Have you put an MVP disc through the paces of learning its characteristics.
I found the GYRO effect to be present in all their molds, with the vector being one of the most noticeable. It was so noticeable in fact, that I disliked the disc bc of it. It was so finicky for the amount if spin given to impart the flight, that it was either dead straight or beefcake.

I am no MVP fanboy (admittedly was at one point) but I would say in my experience that their discs fly a little differently than similar molds from their competitors. With that said, I find a more classic mold (teebird, wizard, roc) to be much more predictable and practical in my hands.

I've been throwing MVP since they came out. I still have my first three teal ions with the textured underside.

My bag is currently half MVP
- I enjoy the consistency of the mids and like the slimmer profile of the fairways.

I found the GYRO effect to be present in all their molds, with the vector being one of the most noticeable. It was so noticeable in fact, that I disliked the disc bc of it. It was so finicky for the amount if spin given to impart the flight, that it was either dead straight or beefcake.

Do you think you would either have to throw all or mostly MVP, or none at all in order to get used to the flight differences and become consistent with MVP discs?

I ask because i have heard a few people say "all or nothing" as reasons they don't throw MVP, just curious if you would agree with that.

I have no problems throwing a mixed bag myself..

Last edited: