• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

I find it easier to throw all but only because I like supporting the bros :D

except the rotating DD slot which will get filled soon enough'

That's a good point, but were not dealing with large mass

Were talking about ~170g plastic discs, i think the spin generated off the snap of your finger tips is enough force to get that much weight spinning at the same speed regardless if there is 5, 10 or even 20% more weight in the rim for added gyroscopic effect because of the low weights we are dealing with. In theory it would be slightly harder to get that extra weight spinning, but at this small level i don't think you would see a difference in spin speeds off the release.

You're arguing against yourself without realizing it.

The reasons you listed above are exactly why there isn't really much of a gyroscopic effect. The differences in mass distribution are so insignificant they don't really affect very much.

For me, the overmold is great at absorbing tree hits and such. And the discs fly well.

For me, the overmold is great at absorbing tree hits and such. And the discs fly well.

I only bag the Volt and Tensor after throwing every MVP disc, but this is my thing too. My Volt is chewed up pretty bad, but honestly it flies better than ever. I habe discs that are as durable as MVP stuff, but nothing MORE durable.

Overmold feels good in my hand. Don't know about gyro effect, too much inconsistencies in my technique to tell differences like that.

I have all mvp bag and going to buy this one too.

You're arguing against yourself without realizing it.

The reasons you listed above are exactly why there isn't really much of a gyroscopic effect. The differences in mass distribution are so insignificant they don't really affect very much.

Maybe you misunderstood what i was saying.

I was just hypothesizing about the spin speed of the extra weight in the rim up to the same RPM at release as a disc without it because were dealing with small weights regardless.

The extra GYRO effect is obviously apparent, many people have noticed it and commented about this as reasons they do or do not throw MVP discs, no need to beat a dead horse.

Last edited:
Maybe you misunderstood what i was saying.

I didn't.

I was just hypothesizing about the spin speed of the extra weight in the rim up to the same RPM at release as a disc without it because were dealing with small weights regardless.

You want to claim that the weight being shifted farther out with the overmold keeps MVP discs flying straighter, longer (or whatever) due to the added gyroscopic effects.

Yet you then turn around and claim that the added gyroscopic effect from moving weight outwards doesn't decrease initial spin.

They're two sides of the same coin. Moving weight out both limits initial spin and allows the object to lose the angular velocity a little bit slower.

The truth probably lies somewhere between these two graphs:

mvp1.jpg

mvp2.jpg

In both, the MVP disc has less initial spin but holds onto it a bit longer, both due to the gyroscopic effects of its construction.

Here's another variant that may or may not be the most accurate (rotational physics are pretty simple, but the physics of everything in a disc's flight gets messy fast):

mvp4.jpg

Note that in the third graph the "other discs" lose "more" spin over time, like we can all agree on, but the MVP disc still never has more spin than the "other."

The horizontal dashed line shows when the disc lands - obviously that occurs well before the disc stops spinning entirely.

I left the horizontal dashed line out of the first and second graphs, but you can draw one in. So long as you don't draw it near the X Axis (i.e. when spin is zero), and you draw it at a reasonable point, the difference is still negligible, even in the "extreme" example (that's incorrect):

mvp5.jpg

The extra GYRO effect is obviously apparent, many people have noticed it and commented about this as reasons they do or do not throw MVP discs, no need to beat a dead horse.

So people have never been wrong or bought into marketing before? They've never "felt" or "seen" something they were set up to feel or see? People in drug trials have never claimed that the placebo they got is a wonder drug that does just what the doctors told them it would do?

The only logical conclusion one can come to: any gyroscopic effect in MVP discs is minimal and mostly (if not entirely) offset by the lower initial RPMs.

P.S. Someone in a physics lab could easily conduct an experiment to measure the MOI of an equally weighted Volt and Teebird, for example (almost identical diameters). Or an Aviar and Ape… the Aviar would have a higher MOI because more of its weight is on the very outer edge, but again, probably less than you might think. (The Aviar and the Ape are also almost identical diameters.)

P.P.S. Sorry. I like physics. And as I said, I have a LOT of MVP discs, and enjoy them quite a bit. Probably my favorite disc manufacturer.

Last edited:
an anode is a staple of my game but the rest of their discs leave me severely underwhelmed. trust me, i have tried to find a use for just about all of them, but no dice.

locally, it's the same way. a few ions and anodes on the course, but nobody seems to care about the rest of their line up. the local store doesn't even bother ordering anything but putters because they just don't sell.

So what gap does the Servo fill? If its too short for a volt I can just use the Tangent/Anode/Axis?

The resistor was some needed beef because the Tensor in my opinion just didn't have the stability that it needed for its role. Altho I still use both (Tensor quite rarely) as someone who enjoys all MVPs molds what does this have to offer?