• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

You want to claim that the weight being shifted farther out with the overmold keeps MVP discs flying straighter, longer (or whatever) due to the added gyroscopic effects.

:eek: LOL

First of all, that's a lot of work you did there without any REAL data.. which is impressive but doesn't tell us much being that its theoretical. Like i said we would have to use a high FPS slow motion camera to get some real data.

"Flying straighter, longer (or whatever)" is not exactly what I meant to say. Just to clarify, GYRO seems to cause slower transitions from turn/fade and holds an angle or line a little longer, which means that the GYRO helps the disc resist a change in its current plane of axis (pretty much the definition of what a gyroscope does).

I don't think the initial spin speed (RPM) is slower from the start with MVP discs either, that's what i was trying to get at. I just don't see a GYRO disc somehow losing some of the snap/spin energy and starting off at a slower spin speed than a normal disc, even if there's 20g or 40g more weight positioned around the edge of the rim than a normal disc. I understand why you would think that and it makes sense on a larger scale with more weight, but we are dealing with such a small mass in the first place that the energy needed to get to a persons max spin speed is not increased enough by the added GYRO rim to make a measurable difference in the end result (initial spin speed).

None of this matters anyways, I just throw MVP because i like the way it flies and thinking about the physics of it too much might not be healthy. :doh:

Last edited:
So what gap does the Servo fill? If its too short for a volt I can just use the Tangent/Anode/Axis?

I think you will get a lot more control out of the Servo being a slower speed straight-stable.

We are all awaiting the Mike C test vid treatment before we will know for sure :D

Nobody has any REAL data, that's the whole thing.

Shut up about it

agreed.

Last edited:
Well true enough ha I guess none of us will know till we can see it in action.

As for MVPs gyro. How much weights in the overmold? Has someone cut one apart to see how much weights truly just in the rim?

Well true enough ha I guess none of us will know till we can see it in action.

As for MVPs gyro. How much weights in the overmold? Has someone cut one apart to see how much weights truly just in the rim?

No, maybe Mike C or someone could ask them what the weight ratio is and we could do some real math.. but i doubt MVP would release such details.

First of all, that's a lot of work you did there without any REAL data.. which is impressive but doesn't tell us much being that its theoretical. Like i said we would have to use a high FPS slow motion camera to get some real data.

High FPS cameras would be a lousy way to do any measuring because you'd have a human throwing and that would produce variations. There are many better ways to measure this kind of thing. You could measure and determine the actual mass distribution.

You'd likely find that an MVP disc's is negligibly distributed towards the edge, and that the overmold is mostly marketing (in terms of "gyroscopic effects" - it's great for disc durability, IMO).

"Flying straighter, longer (or whatever)" is not exactly what I meant to say. Just to clarify, GYRO seems to cause slower transitions from turn/fade and holds an angle or line a little longer, which means that the GYRO helps the disc resist a change in its current plane of axis (pretty much the definition of what a gyroscope does).

The gyroscopic effect in MVP discs is most likely negligible. What it "seems" like is hardly proof of anything.

Like I've said in each of these posts now, I like MVP discs, but you'd likely see negligible differences if you could magically convert a Volt to a non-overmold version.

I don't think the initial spin speed (RPM) is slower from the start with MVP discs either, that's what i was trying to get at.

Then you're again arguing against yourself. Either the disc has the mass distributed more towards the edge (less RPMs at launch, slight gyroscopic effect throughout the flight) or it doesn't (same RPMs at launch, same flight as other discs throughout).

I just don't see a GYRO disc somehow losing some of the snap/spin energy and starting off at a slower spin speed than a normal disc, even if there's 20g or 40g more weight positioned around the edge of the rim than a normal disc.

It's pretty simple physics. The same amount of forces will produce less spin on an object with a higher moment of inertia.

I understand why you would think that and it makes sense on a larger scale with more weight, but we are dealing with such a small mass in the first place that the energy needed to get to a persons max spin speed is not increased enough by the added GYRO rim to make a measurable difference in the end result (initial spin speed).

You're right. We're dealing with such a small difference that, as I said, the gyroscopic effect is probably negligible. But if that's true - as it likely is - then the negligibility applies to all aspects - including the things you feel it "seems" to do.

FWIW my money, if I had to bet, would be on the second image I posted.

None of this matters anyways, I just throw MVP because i like the way it flies and thinking about the physics of it too much might not be healthy. :doh:

Yeah, it's a real bummer when the physics doesn't match up with what you think something "seems" to do.

Conclusion: the "gyro" tech is largely marketing with a negligible real-world effect. It's nice too because it lets them use the same "cores" for multiple discs. The overmold is also great for durability.

P.S. Physics stuff interests me. Science in general. That's why I write so much. :)

Hey man lets just drop it and agree to disagree, not a big deal.

I notice the difference, but i actually throw their discs.

Hey man lets just drop it and agree to disagree, not a big deal.

You can't agree to disagree on facts or physics. I'll agree to stop sharing why I think you're so far off base, though. :\

I notice the difference, but i actually throw their discs.

You haven't made any scientifically valid comparisons. You can't compare a Volt to a Teebird or something - they're different molds. You'd have to compare a Volt with the current construction (heavier overmold) with a Volt (same mold) without the mass shifted towards the edge the millimeter or whatever it ends up being. You'd likely find a negligible difference. There are several fairway drivers that fly like a Volt. Or a Buzzz, or a Buzzz SS, or other midranges that fly like an Axis. Or putters that fly like an Ion or an Anode.

And I throw plenty of MVP discs too. Except the Ion (because I prefer the Anode) I have every one of their models in my bag most rounds. Favorite disc manufacturer. I've added something like this in just about each of these posts…

I just don't let marketing hype dictate my beliefs when it flies in the face of basic science.

Have a good night. I'm done if you are. :)

Last edited:
http://morleyfielddgc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/hummelthesis.pdf

Pages 16-18.

More spin = more distance.

A disc with more weight on the outside spins faster than a disc with the weight evenly distributed.

All discs have more weight on the outside. MVP says they have more. How much more and how much faster does the added weight cause the disc to spin vs another non MVP disc? How much distance does this additional spin equate too?

You'd need something that launches discs that can impact the same amount of force on each throw to see which one goes longer. And to really get accurate results we'd have to get an MVP shaped disc that is not overmolded but is the same shape and weight.

My son is in second grade and is looking for a topic for his science fair project. If I have to "help" him do it I think I might have found a topic.

http://www.folfclub.com/ Might be a good way to have consistant tests (Yes its not THAT consistant) to see how overmolds effect disc flight. Id Imagen you could engineer it to a clay pigeon launcher for consistantsy. Then test away! Might even work for your sons project :p

A disc with more weight on the outside spins faster than a disc with the weight evenly distributed.

It doesn't say that.

You'd need something that launches discs that can impact the same amount of force on each throw to see which one goes longer. And to really get accurate results we'd have to get an MVP shaped disc that is not overmolded but is the same shape and weight.

That was my point to in4d. He's not comparing apples to apples.

No. It has more inertia and will spin longer. It will also take more torque to get it up to the same speed.

Yup.

I'm with you on the rest though, I would love to see exactly how much more weight is along the MVP rims and how it compares to similar molds.

I'm on record as saying it changes things a very small amount.

So how bout them servos?

I think that if MVP had more information, even a release date or something, we'd have more to talk about. Their retailers don't even know when these will ship.

The Resistor and Servo will have the same core, yes? The Resistors are flat as fudge. Will the Servo also be FAF, or will it's unique overmold sit so it's domier? Can a flat disc have immense glide?

So many questions. So long to wait for the answers. :\ :D