• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Jesse B 707 said:
Leopard said:
Jesse can you confirm that your DX has WWW tooling?
naw it says Rancho......but so does my Star R+

R+ says Rancho, but the tooling is way to the outside and it has the www. tooling as well. The Rancho mold has the tooling more toward the center of the disc and does not have the www. tooling.

I still won't (refuse to?) believe that the most widely thrown midrange by the ENTIRE sponsored roster is going to be changed. Not to mention that they probably sell more Rocs than almost all of their other discs combined - except maybe the aviar.

edit: Every single sponsored player on team star and team champion lists that I looked at has the Roc in their gear - and most say 'all midrange shots from hyzer to turnover'. Seriously, if all Dave D can see is the dollar signs and changes the Roc anyway, I'm sure a lot of players, including myself, will abandon the brand altogether.

If they do change it, Dave D better keep the fire department around his house 24-7, because I know someone will burn it down.

dgdave said:
They've changed it before, why believe they won't change it again?

They also brought back the old mold roc....so it's probably not the death of the roc as we know it anyway.

I just thought there was a little overreaction (see thread title) to the situation, just like the Teebird+ thing a couple of months ago.

victorb said:
Not to mention that they probably sell more Rocs than almost all of their other discs combined - except maybe the aviar.
haha oh man... not even close! Rocs are known to like the 0.5% of disc golfers with knowledge. I might even guess that Academy moves enough Vipers and Cobras to make those better sellers than the Roc.

I guess the DG population is pretty disc savvy around here, the club sells tons of rocs (and buzzzes) and so does the local PIAS. I guess it was a little naiive of me to base that off of what sells locally :oops:

Its not naive, and you were safe to assume.

Everyone buys rocs, it is one of the best selling discs on the market.

discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Leopard said:
Jesse can you confirm that your DX has WWW tooling?
naw it says Rancho......but so does my Star R+

R+ says Rancho, but the tooling is way to the outside and it has the www. tooling as well. The Rancho mold has the tooling more toward the center of the disc and does not have the www. tooling.
no WWW tooling at all here, i can guarantee ts an R+ though

I am not sure if we have run any DX.

I don't know if this is meet to be rhetorical, but this could be an indicator that they have ran the R + in DX. To be honest, how could you not know if you ran a certain mold in a certain plastic? That is, unless, you have other people running the molds for you, which I don't think is the case.

If they do switch up the molds, then I'll throw Comets and power down on an overstable disc for headwind.

Dave doesn't run the machines all the time. (or at all unless its something certain he's doing from what I understand)

Jesse B 707 said:
tito said:
Dave D on the PDGA Forums said:
It isn't so. The + mold is only for certain Rocs like the R-Pro. I am not sure if we have run any DX. We did try it in Champion, and it was fine. The + mold has limited uses, but is helpful for certain type discs.
hmmmmmm, i guess i have a disc from the future then
0c31ac2d.jpg

58097fda.jpg

INB4 this looks shopped........
Put it on ebay as a super ultra uber rare blahblahblah...
???
Profit. :lol:

dgdave said:
Dave doesn't run the machines all the time. (or at all unless its something certain he's doing from what I understand)

Then there is a possibility that it did get run in dx without him really knowing about it. hmmmmmmmm

NoLifeLeft said:
Jesse B 707 said:
tito said:
Dave D on the PDGA Forums said:
It isn't so. The + mold is only for certain Rocs like the R-Pro. I am not sure if we have run any DX. We did try it in Champion, and it was fine. The + mold has limited uses, but is helpful for certain type discs.
hmmmmmm, i guess i have a disc from the future then
0c31ac2d.jpg

58097fda.jpg

INB4 this looks shopped........
Put it on ebay as a super ultra uber rare blahblahblah...
???
Profit. :lol:

Make sure you dye it blue first.

Leopard said:
victorb said:
Not to mention that they probably sell more Rocs than almost all of their other discs combined - except maybe the aviar.
haha oh man... not even close! Rocs are known to like the 0.5% of disc golfers with knowledge. I might even guess that Academy moves enough Vipers and Cobras to make those better sellers than the Roc.

Zam is right, not many casuals in Austin seem to know about the Roc.

I tell every disc golfer I meet in San Marcos to throw a Roc. If anyone does have a Roc in the bag it is usually a 12x they bough from Academy which is not something they will like throwin(I don't and I carry 6+ rocs). From my experience playing with the local 1-2 disc wonders, the Roc is a very unknown disc, atleast to the new wave of casual disc golfers I have met. If they throw one it is because someone like me turned them on to it. The Roc feels very odd to most in the hand.

DX-Roc-CFR-Ont.-8x-JH-Pro-Edition-glow-180.JPG_595.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about these Rocs? I came across this pic and think I might be in the market for one now.

Those are custom stamped disc from the Little Flyer club in Colorado. Maybe 5 years old? They're dx plastic, not KC. This stamp also caused Innova to make a rule against hotstamps that resembled current or previous production stamps.

Timko said:
Those are custom stamped disc from the Little Flyer club in Colorado. Maybe 5 years old? They're dx plastic, not KC. This stamp also caused Innova to make a rule against hotstamps that resembled current or previous production stamps.

Yeah I remember that being something of an issue. I thought it was pretty smart of the Little Flyer club but it does open up the less well informed to getting scammed into buying an "8x" roc.

It might be worth more to someone who is into disc history and stuff but I wouldn't pay a lot for it or anything. It's a pretty obscure disc and most people won't be like "wow! that's the disc that made Innova reconsider the hotstamping design rules? I'd pay a lot for that disc."