• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Vibram Birdie Bash!

Probably. It looks like this can be run however the TD wants. What our course is doing is stretching out the par on some of the holes. A 600' Par 4 is being changed to a Par 5, and so on. A handful of tougher Par 3s are being treated as 4s.

I like this because it forces the better players to "eagle" to win. But it also allows the intermediate/casual players easier points for "birdies" on holes they can usually only hope to par.

This is what I'm doing. I have a pretty short course anyway, but I am adding some par 4s. Four hols will have closer tees for the ladies who are playing. I've also incorporated 3 mandos, but instead of costing you a stroke, they cost you a point.

Steve (or any TD's), do I have to be a PDGA member to sign-up for the VBB?

Steve just posted on Facebook how pleased he is with these events...his goal was 30 events with a minimum of 30 players (average) and he just added his 36th and 37th events...most of them well over the 30 player mark. So far, we have two sell-outs already: my event at Cumberland Green and Mr. Rothley's event at Phantom Falls. I suspect there will be many, many more sell-outs as the time grows closer to the actual dates of play.

I went and "test drove" my course today with just and Ascent and Ridge, and it worked out fine....let's just say I won't be winning, but it wasn't too challenging that it will turn our newer players off. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

the course i'm thinking about hosting a birdie bash at has a lot of slanted greens and it got me thinking about the scoring. we'd play the shorts, and there are a lot of ace runs out there. say i hit metal off of the tee shot and catch a roll away down the hill. i hit metal on my 40 footer for 2, does that get me 2 points on the hole?

the course i'm thinking about hosting a birdie bash at has a lot of slanted greens and it got me thinking about the scoring. we'd play the shorts, and there are a lot of ace runs out there. say i hit metal off of the tee shot and catch a roll away down the hill. i hit metal on my 40 footer for 2, does that get me 2 points on the hole?

Yes, but I know you'd hit that birdie so you'd actually get three, anyway:hfive:

how would you guys play OB? since you're not playing for strokes, say I go OB near the pin, would you allow players to take their second shot from the drop spot or does their OB forfeit the next shot? we've also got a few holes where water comes into play, I'm sure the situation will come up in my event.

I'm registering to play in a bash at Knollwood Park ( http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1432 ) in May and I'm excited to play in an event like this. Should be a lot of fun!

I've never thrown any Vibram before, however, and was curious which molds I should pick for this kinda of pitch & putt course (nothing over 270'). I was thinking the Ibex & Ridge would be solid choices, but I'm also tempted to exclusively use the Ridge for the BB, then get a Lace, Trak or Ascent just to add to my collection ( hopefully my bag! :) ).. Any suggestions/preferred molds would be appreciated!

how would you guys play OB? since you're not playing for strokes, say I go OB near the pin, would you allow players to take their second shot from the drop spot or does their OB forfeit the next shot? we've also got a few holes where water comes into play, I'm sure the situation will come up in my event.

Depends how you want to run it. My course really doesn't have any OB, but we have included mandos on three holes and here's how we will score it.

If you miss the mando but have already scored points, you continue to hole out but are docked one point. All mando holes are par 3s, so unless you ace off the tee the most points you could get for that hole is 2 (metal hit off the tee then birdie)

If you have no points, you continue to hole out but the maximum points you can score on the hole is one, no matter what.

So you could do something like that. Costing an entire throw for going OB (or missing a mando) would kind of suck because then there's no reason to finish the hole, IMO.

I've never thrown any Vibram before, however, and was curious which molds I should pick for this kinda of pitch & putt course (nothing over 270'). I was thinking the Ibex & Ridge would be solid choices, but I'm also tempted to exclusively use the Ridge for the BB, then get a Lace, Trak or Ascent just to add to my collection ( hopefully my bag! :) ).. Any suggestions/preferred molds would be appreciated!

Sounds like the course I'm running mine at. Our longest hole is 330. The most popular choice from my entrants is the Ascent and Ridge, by far (11 out of 30, including myself are running that combo) because the Ascent actually can be powered down very well. If you were going to go with a mid, personally I would goose an Ibex because it can handle mustard better than the Ibex. Conversley, if you were to select a Lace (an amazing distance driver, BTW) and a putter I would go with the VP because that putter can easily be thrown in the 250-300 foot range if you have good form and high hand speed.

I think for ladies we are Turing everything into par 4's except 3 short holes. As for ob. We may let our ob be played as you lie just for tourney. We have an elevated island hole and I want to see ace runs and not lay ups. So that hole will be all inbounds for tourney. I am also working on a new updated flyer from the course. Want to see what y'all think. The course is set to be finished in late march. So it's more of a teaser

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 35
Flyer is pretty good. Hope it draws lots of entrants!

We're shortening up 10 of the 18 holes for the ladies, but probably 5 of those are less than 30 feet from the regular teepad.

I think for ladies we are Turing everything into par 4's except 3 short holes. As for ob. We may let our ob be played as you lie just for tourney. We have an elevated island hole and I want to see ace runs and not lay ups. So that hole will be all inbounds for tourney. I am also working on a new updated flyer from the course. Want to see what y'all think. The course is set to be finished in late march. So it's more of a teaser

I think I'll be bringing a couple of more grandmasters and a master to your tourney. Did my best to sell the trip this past weekend.

Do you need baskets? I have a DB-5 and one of my friends has a DiscCatcher Sport. We could haul them up there.

What are the hole lengths? Picking discs depends on what we're playing...

I think I'll be bringing a couple of more grandmasters and a master to your tourney. Did my best to sell the trip this past weekend.

Do you need baskets? I have a DB-5 and one of my friends has a DiscCatcher Sport. We could haul them up there.

What are the hole lengths? Picking discs depends on what we're playing...

Thanks for your support man! If you wouldn't mind bring them just in case. Some of it depends on how many people show up. If for some reason I do hit the 72 people I will talk to the city and find a place to put them for day! There is an unused soccer field area that I can easily set up more holes. When we did the original measurements our longest was 350 and short was 185. Now the city adjusted my teepads on a few because they ended up over water lines or electrical lines in ground so I think our new long may be 375. I am hoping to get new measurements soon. Honestly I would find a disc that handles well in a wind. Thanks again! Where will you be coming from?

So from a suggestion of a local disc golfer, I wrote the local news. They are giving us a live interview to push the event. Our event is first Saturday in may so I will be doing it in april. I'm excited yet really nervous now