• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Vibram Birdie Bash!

nope, i'm just hoping they aren't white. i end up looking like pig pen after a round of golf, so white shirts and socks are typically a no go for me.

I'm hosting one in Knoxville registered it last night, but it still isn't up on the map for some reason/.

it takes a few days, or at least mine did. took about a day or 2 to show up on the vibram site, then another day or 2 before the registration page was actually up and running.

I signed up for the birdie bash in Oregon. I've never played anything like this before and it sounded like fun. I've also never thrown any vibram and I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

I'm a bit concerned. There is water on the course...and everyone will be throwing new discs that they aren't used to, I hope I'm not down to one disc before the second round starts! :p

we've got a few holes with water at our course also. the first 3 holes would take a pretty bad shank from the short tees, the longs bring water into play a lot more. hole 17 is only 170 feet but the "fairway" is maybe 30 feet wide with water on the right and a road OB on the left with the fairway sloping down towards the water. there's also a big tree right in the middle of the fairway about 30 feet short of the pin.

i'm gonna tell people if they're afraid to throw the hole to skip it and take 0 points. people can fish any lost discs out in between rounds and if you manage to put both in the drink then you take 0's the rest of the tournament. i figure if you're that scared of tossing in the water lay up to a comfortable distance and then make a long run for birdie.

SinTex is hosting one on May 18th at Zilker Park in Austin, TX (not added to Vibram's site yet).

http://www.facebook.com/events/421257254634150/

Well darn I thought Iowa park in Houston were just going to have to split Texas straight down the middle lol. I'm glad to see this many pop up, it's good for the company. I do think that all of us who put one on should become official vibram team members, worth a try lol

I do think that all of us who put one on should become official vibram team members, worth a try lol

That would be awesome, but, I guess I'll just have to hope that the four of us that are signed up for mine are the only ones so that I have a 25% chance...

J/K....

That would be awesome, but, I guess I'll just have to hope that the four of us that are signed up for mine are the only ones so that I have a 25% chance...

J/K....

We have 4 as well. But I got verbals from about 10 more who said they are playing just waiting for it to get closer

preregistering is something that hasn't really caught on in my area yet, so i'm interested to see how mine turns out. in the past people have expected to show up 10 minutes before a tournament and get in, or even make a call to the td on the way to the event saying they'll be a few minutes late and expect to get in. the local club has started doing a $5 late fee and i think that's helped a bit.

i made it a point on facebook and our local club forums to state that i'd be willing to take cash payment and register people online if they don't have paypal or are hesitant to pay online. i know it's 2013 but i'd hate to have people not come out because the registration format was their only objection. i'm still debating on whether or not i want to order extra player's packs. i was thinking maybe just 4 or so but if 6 show up then somebody is bound to be upset and obviously you don't want to get stuck with a bunch of extras, so ordering a ton of extras really isn't an option for me.

That is the same issue I am kind of having. When I talk to people I try to emphasize that my deadline to sign up is a week and a half before. I know it's the Sunday before but trying to put an extra buffer in. Most players just want to walk up and pay the 25. I've put my email on flyer and said if you want to register in person email me and I will sign you up. As for spare packs. What we are doing is selling hole sponsorships for packs. I figure this will get me a few extra player packs so I don't have to pay out of pocket and be stuck with 7 new obexes and ridges. My event is may 4th I am going to start really pushing with flyers at courses about 6 weeks out with my news interview 4 weeks out. I don't know what else to do to emphasize early registration is important

So we landed our first additional sponsorship for the Iowa park event. To give the ladies a fair shot we have secured awards for the top two female players. First place will receive a 1hr massage from a local spa while 2nd will get a 25 dollar gift card to a local retailer. The bad news is we have swung and missed on the other ones so far. But we still have a few months to go. We are trying to get hole sponsors for 25 that way we can buy some day of bags to sell for walk ups. Also trying to find one company to donate for the ace pot.

So we landed our first additional sponsorship for the Iowa park event. To give the ladies a fair shot we have secured awards for the top two female players..

That's awesome! We are kind of doing the same. 1st Place women's gets a trophy disc that I am dyeing (1st and 2nd place get them as well) and of course they are also eligible for the Grand Prizes and all that. For the Ring of Fire, we'll have one round just for women too and we bought a Ching JamBag, a mini, a Lace, an Ibex and Obex and a Summit as the prize for that. I was actually surprised, because we got 5 women signed up out of 36 players, so that was totally cool.

As far as getting people to sign up, I literally did not have a chance to put any flyers up before we sold out...I even opened up 6 more spots and those sold out too. I think what happened is once we got a few people signed up because of our Facebook Event Page and right here on DGCR, word of mouth spread and people just started signing up left and right. Your best advertisements are going to come from players who are already signed up and really excited to play.

I did get a ton of phone calls and emails, because the nature of this event is to bring in lots of players who are begginers or, at the very least, non-tournament players. A lot of people were a bit confused by the sign up process, and I know Terry at iRegisteredOnline.com has been working his butt off making corrections because a lot of people chose the wrong discs or didn't even bother to pick their discs in the first place and got stuck with Lace/Ridge (the first option) which is not ideal for our short course. I can't emphasize enough how easy it is to run these events thanks to Terry and Mr. Dodge.

Another thing that helped me is when word got out of how many additional prizes we would have..I'm a great bargain hunter so I picked up a ton of swag for the Ring of Fire and additional prizes for the rounds themselves.

if you have some disposable income, I suggest swinging by Community Discs and taking advantage of their "Fugly Vibram" sale...buy 2 get 1 free is a great value, and Justin loves to hook up TDs!:thmbup::hfive:

I've been using Facebook group to let players know what we are working on and it's been very quiet. The area has only had one tournament in last two years and it was an ace race. Apparently the city next door where the courses are (my hometown course opens in April) have some big fees it sounds like, so they haven't had a lot. I can not figure if its been slow to sign up because they are not use to having events or if its because i am an outsider. I even went up to play in their weekly mini (I now live 2 plus hours away) to try to draw interest. Well anyways I'm hoping to secure some more sponsorships to really draw the guys in and let them see I'm here for the course and betterment of the community not for myself.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan. But I don't know how many super competitive types will sign up. We've only got seven guys from my club who signed up, including myself, but a lot of club members suggested the evmt to their begginer friends. I got a ton of newer players signing up, so hopefully you find the same success with new players. Its God for Vibram, its good for the sport and, for you, its good for your new course.

I'm TDing the Knoxville bash, as a TD do i still need to sign up online and pay the 25 if I want to play? to all you you who TDed your event, did you play in your own event???

I'm TDing the Knoxville bash, as a TD do i still need to sign up online and pay the 25 if I want to play? to all you you who TDed your event, did you play in your own event???

I signed up and paid the $25.

I plan on playing in mine.

From Vibram's Website - FAQ's for TDs:

Can TDs play? Yes. we suggest putting yourself on a hole close to tournament central so you finish as one of the first groups back. Also, you should have a helper to collect score cards in case your group runs late.

I am playing in mine for now. I am hoping we have a good enough turnof where I have to sell off my player pack to someone wanting to play. It does seem beginner friendly and have had some people say that. But it's also a good cheap way to get good disc. You actually just have me an idea. I'm going to buy something for the pro who brings in the most new players.

I'm definetly playing in mine, as is my co-TD. We're not good by any means, but we do have a shot at winning. "Any given day" you know.

I think it would be a bit unfair for the TD to win, but there's no rule against it. I'd rather have a phenom who has only played a couple times come in an dominate, anyway.