• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I wasn't even going to give him grief for saying he hadn't lost since making his "I'm getting serious" post on Facebook. Hopefully he's focusing on the USDGC.

Since he apparently hasn't been trying as hard as he could in the past, maybe he'll try harder this year?

-15? pssh, I don't get up in the morning for less than -18

Last edited:
I've weighed four G* Thunderbirds that are marked 165, 166(2) and 167. They all weigh 168.

I'm loving mine!

Paul will soar to victory upon the glorious wings of the Thunderbird

Since he apparently hasn't been trying as hard as he could in the past, maybe he'll try harder this year?

-15? pssh, I don't get up in the morning for less than -18

A deuce on 888, or I'm giving up the game for a spot working the fry machine at McDonald's.

Threw my 171g G-Star Thunderbird. Feels like a broken in S-Line PD; will be interesting to see how the Thunderbird breaks in.

I have been truly digging my Champ JL Thunderbird. Uphill, downhill, forehand, backhand. In a dozen throws I've either hit metal or been within 5' of the basket 6 times. Too me, it doesn't compare to many other discs I have thrown. Closest I can think of would be a Vein, or Ascent. I'm wondering how it holds up to an Escape? If anyone has both these molds.

I have been truly digging my Champ JL Thunderbird. Uphill, downhill, forehand, backhand. In a dozen throws I've either hit metal or been within 5' of the basket 6 times. Too me, it doesn't compare to many other discs I have thrown. Closest I can think of would be a Vein, or Ascent. I'm wondering how it holds up to an Escape? If anyone has both these molds.

The Escape is a Trilogy disc, so Thunderbird automatically wins.

how these flying for more those without crazy power?

I'm loving my 168 G* Thunderbirds. I throw Firebirds also and some of them are too OS for me, these G*s have the right amount of over stability and glide for me. I already have complete trust in the disc and what it will do for me.

I highly suggest it for us noodle arms. :thmbup:

I'm loving my 168 G* Thunderbirds. I throw Firebirds also and some of them are too OS for me, these G*s have the right amount of over stability and glide for me. I already have complete trust in the disc and what it will do for me.

I highly suggest it for us noodle arms. :thmbup:

nice thanks! .. so not really being used as a distance disc correct? more like a firechicken jr utility disc?

The Glow Champ I've thrown wasn't close to a Firebird. It really was a PD out of the hand but with a less harsh but more abrupt fade. Pretty much once it runs out of steam it turns left and finds the ground instead of pushing forward like the PD.

nice thanks! .. so not really being used as a distance disc correct? more like a firechicken jr utility disc?

Incorrect. I am using it as a distance disc also. It has great glide for as OS as it is. It's not my main distance driver, I use an US disc for that. But with any head wind and in some other circumstances I use it for distance. Great control with this disc.

I still keep a couple firechickens in my bag.

If you watched the first round of the USDGC you saw McBeast throwing the Thunderbird all over the course, parking 400ft upshots with it on some of the Par 4 and Par 5 holes. I know his 53 yesterday wasn't quite his 52 from last year, but he's in attack mode right now. Also, he posted a new in the bag on his YouTube channel, showing he's replaced his PD and possibly his Krait with a variety of Thunderbirds. McBeth signature disc, it's happening.

If you watched the first round of the USDGC you saw McBeast throwing the Thunderbird all over the course, parking 400ft upshots with it on some of the Par 4 and Par 5 holes. I know his 53 yesterday wasn't quite his 52 from last year, but he's in attack mode right now. Also, he posted a new in the bag on his YouTube channel, showing he's replaced his PD and possibly his Krait with a variety of Thunderbirds. McBeth signature disc, it's happening.

I 100% agree. I've been saying this for weeks now.

The reason it didn't get a production launch is because it's getting a 3x stamp with McBeth's name on it.

of the few throws I had with a max weight Proto Thunderbird I was impressed. Its really is like a super seasoned almost straight Firebird (the kind dudes have in their bag thats at least 5 years old with heavy use).

I'll wait it out until a regular production champ thunderbird comes out. I don't want to fall in love with a disc until I know its readily available/replaceable.

Its kind of embarrassing how heavily "teebird themed" my bag is right now (brinster/metal flake champ/11x/gstar/echostar/star TL/Champ TL) might as well go with a thunderbird when it becomes a regular production model.

With the change to #5 (taking away a chance of a 3); his 53 on this course is just as good as the 52 last year.

Yeah I bet you're right. Actually, I'm willing to bet if he wins the USDGC this year he will get a signature Thunderbird with some sort of USDGC related stamp on it (maybe 3X+USDGC even).

Yeah I bet you're right. Actually, I'm willing to bet if he wins the USDGC this year he will get a signature Thunderbird with some sort of USDGC related stamp on it (maybe 3X+USDGC even).

They'll probably do the USDGC win as a bottom stamp on the McPro Avair and keep the 3x stamp to the Roc3, S-Line P2, Thunderbird and.......the Nova!

Doesn't Innova generally give a limited run USDGC disc to the winners? Thinking about the Kenny Glows.

Latest posts