• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Anymore reports on the production Star variant? How are they comparing to the Champs?

I am having a tough time loving my Stars. So far they are considerably more LSS, so much so that they dump out of flight early and generally 50 feet shorter. I am hoping that with some seasoning that the loss of some HSS will overcome the extra LSS and straighten them out, but for the time being the Champions are far more versatile and easier to throw for accuracy and distance.

The only reason why I am sticking with Star is because of their colors. Certain colors are easier to see on the ground and easier to film in the air. Champion currently does not come in the colors I really like. As much as I know I should go with what simply works for me, I am a color and plastic snob and refuse to settle.

Do the stars develop some high speed turn after a little seasoning? I'm thinking of discing down to speed 9s and losing the wraiths and terns from my bag for the winter. (Bad habits redeveloping) I've only thrown the DX but really love star plastic for my drivers.

I am having a tough time loving my Stars. So far they are considerably more LSS, so much so that they dump out of flight early and generally 50 feet shorter. I am hoping that with some seasoning that the loss of some HSS will overcome the extra LSS and straighten them out, but for the time being the Champions are far more versatile and easier to throw for accuracy and distance.

The only reason why I am sticking with Star is because of their colors. Certain colors are easier to see on the ground and easier to film in the air. Champion currently does not come in the colors I really like. As much as I know I should go with what simply works for me, I am a color and plastic snob and refuse to settle.

hit the nail on the head

I have been messing with the stars in the field and the dumpiness is a problem.

Huh, I did not expect that. I was worried they would be too straight, so at least there's potential after some seasoning.

The Champ Glow thundies are the best imo.

I hated mine due to lack of glide, then again, the best one I own is the Proto Star Champion. It is the straightest, fastest, and has the most glide out of all the Thunderbirds I have owned. The key of the Thunderbirds really seem to be seasoning them in. I do not think I have liked any of mine straight out of the box.

I have a few of the new production Stars and I agree with the dump. I like it and have adjusted to it for an additional slot in the bag. BUT.....I found a soft Star Thundy. Similar to the last run of AJ Destroyers, maybe just a tad firmer and that thing bombs! It's exactly what your looking for. Brand new it's consistently going 40' past my other Thunderbirds so I can't wait to season it. Very little high speed wiggle and a nice forward fade. I would love to find more.

I think once these production Stars break in they will be sweet though.

Last edited:
I hated mine due to lack of glide, then again, the best one I own is the Proto Star Champion. It is the straightest, fastest, and has the most glide out of all the Thunderbirds I have owned. The key of the Thunderbirds really seem to be seasoning them in. I do not think I have liked any of mine straight out of the box.

I also have a Proto Star Champ ThB and its my go to disc in a lot of situations.
I picked up a Beaver State Fling Glow ThB, just haven't thrown it much to see how it actually flies but like you said, they take some TLC (and trees) to get them seasoned in to your liking. Luckily I got my Proto slightly used so it didn't take long to adjust and get it where I wanted.

I think the pumpkin stars are a bit softer than the production run.

I agree they are. I have two but haven't thrown them yet. Too many good ones in the collection to get around to the pumpkins just yet.

Anyone want to chat more about the glows? I've got such a boner for this disc.

03ad40f8d7c6fecdea7e3d1e9963c07e.jpg

b567a89f11b4c9d2a08342ce46c1d57d.jpg

I'm not sure I'm comfortable contributing to another man's arousal, oh well.

Latest posts