• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I keep hearing the glow is less or a little less stable for these and teebirds. Strange.

I bought a 166 DX Thunderbird today. The plastic doesn't feel like old DX at all, it's stiff and tacky, it feels like they have added some pro to the blend. The profile of the disc looks more like a Firebird than a Teebird, having a higher parting line. There's a small shoulder before it flattens out to board flat. Overall a very flat disc. The disc flew overstable, but not utility like. It held a hyzer angle, and I got no turn when I threw it flat. I got about the same distance that I get from a Teebird, shorter than a Valkyrie and a Roadrunner. It basically flew like a beefy new Teebird.

Picked one of these up today and this was my experience too.
The DX felt like nothing else on the shelf and flat topped with a slight puddle.
Def more OS than flight numbers, too, but the plh seems weirdly low, like right up to the lower edge of the outer disc wing (before the underside of the wing).
Never tossed one of these before so nothing to compare it to, though.

My 176 dx thunderbird is straighter than my champs but has a harder fade at the end. That would be great if they came out with some FAF thundies in premium plastic.

Star Thunderbird is IN THE HOUSE! (and on the course).

My new Star Thunderbird is 167g, PLH about the same as the 3x Champ Thunderbird. Took it to the course today and took every opportunity to throw it. There was a bit of wind, so it was a good test in non-calm conditions.

The glide not quite as good as the the 3x Champ Thunderbird, but it's good enough. It flew straight with some dump fade at the end, just like the Champ. The biggest fade was on a low flat throw, and the wind might've caught it a iittle bit for that. The Star and Champ Thunderbirds fly pretty much the same distance.

All-in-all, I liked throwing the Star Thunderbird and will bag it. I'll take the Champ Thunderbird out frequently, also. I'm thinking and hoping the Star Thunderbird will season in a bit and become a real workhorse disc for me off the tee. Time will tell...

Ive had a star thunderbird in the bag for a year. Flies the same...

Production flies the same as the swirly stars which fly the same as champion.

Gstar and glow champ always seem a bit less stable. But they also didnt break in to be workhorses in a year, just kinda stayed the same.

Gstar and glow champ always seem a bit less stable. But they also didnt break in to be workhorses in a year, just kinda stayed the same.

That's been my experience. I have a Proto and a glow that I've had for at least 6 months. The glow will flip up and sail a bit while the proto seems to hold on to a bit more power and gets a good skip at the end. If I really get a good rip on it, it'll stand up before fading at the end. I don't see it turning much if at all though on its own.

I'm expecting my Star Thunderbird to take a while to season in, and that's fine.

I haven't had a Champion disc of any kind change at all. That includes a Champ Panther that I throw multiple times every day, that bangs off trees on occasion, bangs off the chains or pole or *doink*s off the top of the basket, etc. Has not changed at all. I think I'd have to set it on fire to get it to change. :eek:

The Star disc I throw the most is the TL. I had a "unique" greenish-grayish-blue Star TL (only other time I saw this color was a guy showing me a signature Teebird he'd taken months to get and was very proud of) which seasoned in nicely. I got to the point I was afraid of losing it more than I was wanting to throw it, so I got regular blue and regular orange Star TLs that I throw now. They season in over time, but it is admittedly a long time; months, and several of them. My regular blue TL is just starting to season in, and that's after at least four throws a round, five rounds or more a week.

Thunderbird won't get that extensive use, so it'll take time to season in if it ever does...

Ive broken in a champion teebird in a year. Paid $5 for it, no name too. I threw it exactly as much as this star thunderbird. That teebird (in a pond atm) and now this thunderbird is my favorite disc so alot of use and abuse.

Also have knocked a few champ destroyers from hogs to actually flying the flight numbers.
If i can manage another year without losing it (hey im going to stick another thunderbird in the bag just to make sure) i feel like itll have to change.

Our bags are similar, I'd all but given up on Destroyers until I found a used one that looked like a 2nd grader got a hold of it with a sharpie and was obviously a bit beat in. I can get that disc to flip and fly nicely. All of my others don't like to play nice.

Our bags are similar, I'd all but given up on Destroyers until I found a used one that looked like a 2nd grader got a hold of it with a sharpie and was obviously a bit beat in. I can get that disc to flip and fly nicely. All of my others don't like to play nice.

Similar experience here. Found a brand new DX Destroyer for $3 at PIAS. I throw that Destroyer around from time to time and it's already seasoning in to the point I might actually bag it all the time. Time it gets great I'll probably lose it, but until then I just have some fun with it.

I don't really want my other discs to change, so if they last a long time to forever, that's fine with me....

I hadn't been thinking about buying a Thunderbird before they were produced in Star. I bought one today and I'm curious to see how it flies, hoping it to be a little straighter than my S-Line PD. It's pretty firm, has decent grip to it and has a pretty low and even dome. Also, I couldn't pass up on a DX TH as they felt fantastic! The plastic is probably the best feeling DX I've ever felt, very firm but has a fantastic grip to it. I hope this kind of DX becomes a standard. Looking forward to chucking these around.

I hadn't been thinking about buying a Thunderbird before they were produced in Star. I bought one today and I'm curious to see how it flies, hoping it to be a little straighter than my S-Line PD. It's pretty firm, has decent grip to it and has a pretty low and even dome. Also, I couldn't pass up on a DX TH as they felt fantastic! The plastic is probably the best feeling DX I've ever felt, very firm but has a fantastic grip to it. I hope this kind of DX becomes a standard. Looking forward to chucking these around.

I'm starting to give DX, KC Pro and even Champ (mostly older) plastic another look. I used to be a disc snob and only go for star stuff, but after a while started not liking the slippery feel of it. I feel I get more rip out of some nice weathered champ plastic.

I'm starting to give DX, KC Pro and even Champ (mostly older) plastic another look. I used to be a disc snob and only go for star stuff, but after a while started not liking the slippery feel of it. I feel I get more rip out of some nice weathered champ plastic.

I find that I am mold to mold when it comes to liking Champion or Star (or equivalent in other companies).

I love my Mako3, Gazelle, and Thunderbird in Star and prefer my VRoc and FD in Champion. Comparably I like my Bards, Harps, Pures, Mercys, and Trespasses in BioFuzion/ Tournament/ Gold Line, and my XXX in Opto. I have tried all the plastics in each of these molds and found this combination of plastics to be my favorite. I find that both blends of plastic have a great, tacky feel to them once they have been cleaned with a rag dampened with acetone. I also gravitate more toward Star in the summer and Champion in winter; tough to explain, but that is what feels right.

However, I have some nice seasoned Thunderbirds in Champion and actually prefer their seasoned flight to a new Star's flight. However to that however, for the time being I am sticking with the Stars since it is not tournament season and I am trying to break them in.