• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I got to toss a DX Thunderbird around today. Wow! Stable! No HSS turn, at all. Even into a gentle headwind. I really, really liked the grip. Looking forward to throwing these come (wet PNW) Fall/Winter, when I convert to a DX/Pro lineup! I did notice a slight lack of glide. Not sure if that's typical. I gave up on the Thunderbird after I realized all the overlap I had in the bag with my PDs, Starfires, SLs, Orcs, and even TBs. Granted, I tried to like the Thunderbird. I threw the AO release, and the Swirl Star release for a while. Even had a Metal Flake one from the Aussie Open. But I was way too consistent with my bagged discs to kick them out.

Grabbed a DX thunderbird yesterday. This thing starts out pretty OS! The DX plastic is also much stiffer than the last couple DX teebirds I've gotten, almost feels like pro plastic.

DX Thunderchickens are FAF. felt so nice in the hand I had to buy two. + to me it looks like the bird is throwing up a peace sign. can't wait to season one in.

Still loving my THBs. Once in the bag they were there to stay. Basically a discs that flies the way I always thought a Teebird should have. I have Glow CFR, champ JL, and GStar runs. Would take something pretty amazing to kick the THB out of my bags.

fondled some dx thunderbirds today and WOW these things are stiff and flat. the shop only had light weights left. They feel like no other DX disc ive ever felt. We grabbed a wahoo off the wall and the plastic felt A LOT like it grip and stiffness wise. We even took one of the thunderbirds to the bathroom and saw if it floated. it did. They are doing crazy things with plastic blends over at innova. I can see these dx birds being PERFECT for cycling. Theyre similar to p-line PD's but with a big more grip and stiffness, but a little less durability. basically the ideal cycle disc since they start out overstable.

Same, and I love the combo...G* is slightly less stable and complement each other nice right off the shelf.

For some reason my combo is opposite. My champ is very straight with good fade at the end. My gstar is very LSS and dumps at the end. It almost has a Firebird finish which is nice, just not what I was expecting after reading some of the posts on this forum. I have a second gstar on the way and hopefully it is less stable than my bagged one.

What is everyone's favorite plastic for their Thunderbirds? I am rocking 1 champion and 1 gstar.

I have two Champs, a Champ glow and DX Thunderbird in the bag. Have a Champ that is really straight and has a slight finish and another that is more OS. The glow was just for fun and is slightly less stable than my stable Champ. The DX is getting beat in to where it is a bit less HSS but started out beefier than the others! Hoping it beats in to a hyzer flip machine soon. I have a star pumpkin as well but haven't thrown it much and another champ as backup...I have a Thunderbird problem btw :D.

For some reason my combo is opposite. My champ is very straight with good fade at the end. My gstar is very LSS and dumps at the end. It almost has a Firebird finish which is nice, just not what I was expecting after reading some of the posts on this forum. I have a second gstar on the way and hopefully it is less stable than my bagged one.

My Champ is Pink and G* is red/pink and both max weight if that helps to compare. I agree about the fade, but both have that bite at the end in my case.

just put my 172 G* 2014 halloween Thunderbird back in my bag for October and almost right into the basket off the tee twice last weekend.

I also have a 170 DX that I use in the rain. There has been so much rain these days and I love DX in the rain for grip.

I have a blood red champ that is too nice to use so I have been using my champ 170 PD for now.

What is everyone's favorite plastic for their Thunderbirds? I am rocking 1 champion and 1 gstar.

I have one 3x Champ and one GStar. The GStar was inconsistent for me, but I think it was temperature variances that were the issue in the summer heat. The Champ was (and is) very consistent for me. I'm going to try the GStar Thunderbird in the winter when its cold and see how it does.

I like the champ thunderbirds. I bought a couple 168 champ Thunderbirds and they are more overstable than my max weight Thunderbirds. Small sample size for sure.

Right now im just bagging the pro shop star. Ive bagged a champ and gstar and glow champ and gstar combo as well.

The glow champ and gstar very straight while the champ and star tad bit more stable.

My star is getting longer and straighter, fades coming in later and but when it fades its still dumpy. Which I like.

I want to buy a stack of dx thunderbirds to try. Sounds like they would compliment better then the g star. And not that big of a fan g star in drivers. Love dx though.