• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Couldn't resist picking up a DX Thunderbird today.
The champ didn't kick PDs out for me, but I couldn't resist trying this out.

1st impressions:
1) FAF!! Actually slightly puddle topped
2) Super firm
3) Tacky!! Like old school DX mixed w XT. It's not chaulky like some XT, but waaayyy grippier than normal DX
4) Super high PLH. Higher than the FBs I compared it to.

Can't wait to toss it. Hope it's beefy

Does anyone know if a thunderbird is only supposed to be an anhyzer disc... Because I can't seem to make it flip into hyzer when throwing backhand?

Couldn't resist picking up a DX Thunderbird today.
The champ didn't kick PDs out for me, but I couldn't resist trying this out.

1st impressions:
1) FAF!! Actually slightly puddle topped
2) Super firm
3) Tacky!! Like old school DX mixed w XT. It's not chaulky like some XT, but waaayyy grippier than normal DX
4) Super high PLH. Higher than the FBs I compared it to.

Can't wait to toss it. Hope it's beefy

It sounds beefy. I was hoping the dx thunderbird would mold up like a DX teebird molds up compared to a champ teebird. I'll have to check one out when the local retailers get them.

It sounds beefy. I was hoping the dx thunderbird would mold up like a DX teebird molds up compared to a champ teebird. I'll have to check one out when the local retailers get them.

That's the beauty of DX though! You can quickly season it into whatever flight you want.

If these are molding up beefy out of the gate I see these becoming by new "Distance" disc. I love baseline discs and speed 10 rims are just beautiful for the combo of control and distance.

That's the beauty of DX though! You can quickly season it into whatever flight you want.

If these are molding up beefy out of the gate I see these becoming by new "Distance" disc. I love baseline discs and speed 10 rims are just beautiful for the combo of control and distance.

Oh yeah I definitely think beefy is OK. I just wanted a little bit of a dome.

Does anyone know if a thunderbird is only supposed to be an anhyzer disc... Because I can't seem to make it flip into hyzer when throwing backhand?

It's the ultimate anhyzer disc for me. No other can hook and glide as far from right to left (RHBH throw) as my Thunderbird.

I forgot to ask ncgamedog, is that Thunderbird a production run?

Absolutely! Cool Stock stamp too.
My local store had about a dozen ranging from 140g to 175g most were in the 168-172g range. Only 2 max weight, and I chose the higher PLH one. Some had a touch of dome, but more of a higher shoulder than actual dome. Def no pop-tops.

Other than Destroyers, I prefer flat discs. I do love a pop top destroyer though

I can flip my champs a little bit. Slight hyzer flips to flat and then glides until a big dumpy fade. My metal flake is beat but shows zero wiggle toward flat from a hyzer. Mostly I just use(d) them for hyzers or flat to fade shots. I wouldn't really see the point of getting one worked into a big hyzer flipper, cuz that's what valks are for (if you want that shot). Never really threw flex lines with them, I just don't throw a lot of flexes that aren't trying to go for pretty big distance.

I'm wondering if there is a mix-up in terminology here. Thunderbirds are (relatively) overstable discs, and probably not the best choice for hyzer-flip shots. Gosh, that'd take some serious power to do that.

Did you mean a flex or helix shot? where the disc is initially thrown on an anhyzer line (curving right for RHBH thrower) and it will work back around to a fade left?

Truth.

And love the new avatar. Lifelong Cardinals fan.

It's the ultimate anhyzer disc for me. No other can hook and glide as far from right to left (RHBH throw) as my Thunderbird.

I'm wondering if there is a mix-up in terminology here. Thunderbirds are (relatively) overstable discs, and probably not the best choice for hyzer-flip shots. Gosh, that'd take some serious power to do that.

Did you mean a flex or helix shot? where the disc is initially thrown on an anhyzer line (curving right for RHBH thrower) and it will work back around to a fade left?

Oh ****, yeah, my bad. I saw the question about whether it's supposed to be an anhyzer disc and just thought "hyzer". Definitely NOT an anhyzer disc for me. Really good hyzer disc.

I had a few DX Thunderbirds in my hands tonight. Stiff and flat, I like them. I didn't throw one because I wasn't carrying any $$.
I'm going to have to get me a few in my weight.

I picked one up today. Mine is flat with a decent shoulder, it looks really nice. If you like stiff super grippy plastic you will love this run of DX. It feels too grippy for me right now but I'm sure the surface will tone down after a little use. The parting line is slightly higher than my beefiest champ thunderbird. I haven't thrown it yet.

I only got in about 10 field throws with the DX Thunderbird. The dx has the about the same HSS as my flat high parting line champ thunderbird and the fade started about the same time. The difference is the fade of the DX version is long and never dumps. I was surprised how far the DX Thunderbird went after the fade started. I was probably getting 340'-350' from a flat throw but they were also 40' left of center.

Has anybody beat one of these up yet? I've got a few heading my way and I'm really hoping to be able to beat them into being slightly untestable. That is a slot I haven't been able to nail down and it would be awesome to be able to cycle thunderbirds.

I artificially seasoned my DX Thunderbird. I haven't had a lot of throws with it yet but it has developed some turn yet still has a strong fade. My impression is the DX Thunderbird will be the type of disc that will lose the HSS but always have a good amount of lss.

I artificially seasoned my DX Thunderbird. I haven't had a lot of throws with it yet but it has developed some turn yet still has a strong fade. My impression is the DX Thunderbird will be the type of disc that will lose the HSS but always have a good amount of lss.

That is sounding good. As long as I can get a decent turn out of them I'll be happy. My Gstars developed a little turn pretty quickly but have been holding that spot for a long time.

Probably gonna jump on the DX bandwagon - sounds like a great investment of $8.