• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Can't wait to try these out. I think this mold could work in dx if the plastic isn't too soft.

I would love to try out a DX Thunderbird! But yeah, given the candle wax feeling of the latest DX runs, I won't get my hopes up.

I really hope the test runs from worlds were actually the DX blend, I am still not convinced tat some of those were mcpro.

DX Thunderbirds are currently available from DGU with the stock DX stamp

Never mind, missed the link a few posts above

Last edited:
What plastic and weight is your Thunderbird? I can put a little turn on mine if I throw a helix shot, but it always fights out and back to fade. Thrown flat, I get mostly straight then fade, which is what I want from that disc...

I had a usdgc 2014 g star that I used a lot and it showed the tiniest turn. Really you couldn't hardly see it but it flew so straight. Little turn and not much fade. My glow champ seems closer to g star then production champ.

Then I had a meat hook proto star. Production champ and pro shop star are straight with fade.

I would like a Mcpro thunderbird first. Then I'd take production star. I'd like to snag a dx here soon too just to get the cycle started. The pro shop star hardly takes dmg and even after being my most used thunderbird hasn't taken any damage or changed flight.

Think I'll take my star out and use the glow champ for awhile until that shows some turn.

What do you guys use the Thunderbird for? Do you use it instead on Teebirds? Instead of a PD or Wraith type disc?

What do you guys use the Thunderbird for? Do you use it instead on Teebirds? Instead of a PD or Wraith type disc?

For me, and speaking only for myself, I use my Champion Thunderbird for throws where I need some distance and a reliable fade at the end. I often use it for hyzer throws around doglegs left (I'm RHBH). I have used it for helix shots around a tree in the middle of a fairway (on a wooded course, where I know I can throw it on an anhyzer path and it will fight out and fade back left.

Someone once told me that most disc golfers like either the Firebird or the Teebird. I use the TL instead of the Teebird, and the Firebird is too overstable for my liking (I am not Paul McBeth, fer sure). The Thunderbird does a nice job where I need a relatively overstable disc, and the glide is better than the Firebird for me.

I throw teebirds, thunderbirds and destroyers. I use it in the PD slot I assume, but never having thrown one idk. I feel like it's very similar to a a star FL.

I use it for similar lines as a stable teebird, just longer and lower lines. I can throw a star or worn champ teebird similar distance and flight just usually have to get the teebird up a little higher. On average though the thunderbird wins.

it'll fight out of a anny unless you torque it hard. Nice hyzers. Flat with fade. And I like the way a thunderbird skips more.

My star hasn't flipped in a headwind yet either. It won't have much fade but it'll not turnover just like a good teebird.

My destroyers go further but are less reliable.

Either way it's a disc I can trust. And as I break in some and/or pick up different plastics I think it'll be a easy mold for shapeable lines near max controlled d.

My fairway lineup is Leopard, Eagle, Thunderbird, Firebird. All champion, just one of each. The Thunderbird really does play like a beat champion Firebird. I use it when I need more distance and less fade than the Firebird.

The only thing I don't like about my Thunderbird is that the new plastic doesn't match my other champion discs which are all older. I want a stiff Thunderbird, do they even exist?

My fairway lineup is Patriot, Rival, Thunderbird, Firebird. Thunderbird is AMAZING in G* and then combo it with a champ...awesome combo for me. Almost don't even use my rivals because I reach for the G*. G* flies like a beat in champ and is oh so nice feeling.

I don't have the arm for anything really faster so Thunderbird is the Stable/Controlled Distance disc for me. It doesn't go much farther than the Teebird but far enough that it matters to me at least. The Teebird to me is a bit more controllable and I can take a bit off compared to the Thunderbird.

I've been throwing a champ thunderbird lately. I use it on similar shots as my PD, but with a straighter net flight. It slots right b/t my FD's and my Destroyers.

I use the Thunderbird in place of the Teebird/PD. I find it powers down better than the PD(Which I threw for a couple years) but has more use than the Teebird for me. I pair my two Thunderbirds with a couple of FD's and a wicked overstable Firebird for all my Fairway duties.