• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too tall?

AciDBatH666

Double Eagle Member
36963_10150211721100483_550940482_13266393_8156770_n.jpg

The pole here is being cut 9 feet from the ground. We're putting more rail road ties down, and will prolly need 2+ dump trucks FULL of dirt to fill this behemoth of a pin placement.
Now, Imagine where that hole is being cut into the pipe, that's where the sleeve/lock is going to be. So the bottom of the basket is going to be about 12' from the ground level. ORRRR you can basically picture where the top of the pole currently is, is where the chains will be. LOL
This is already one of the most difficult holes on this course. And now it's MURDER!!!

Too tall? More like not tall enough! :twisted:

No, but seriously, looks like a cool hole. Are there going to be steps of some sort, or do you have to clamber up the wall of railraod ties to get your disc?

Well from what they told me, it's going to slope at the back. We'll prolly cut out some steps and lay down some drainage canals on the sides of em to help prevent erosion. It's REALLY tall. I was expecting it to be maybe about 7 feet to the basket, but they decided hell no. HHahha
I've got some other pictures of it from the fairway. I'll load em up later.

That is going to be a wicked sweet hole. Your lucky to have such a nice disc golf course where you live none of the courses where I live have elevated baskets.

I'll admit, I haven't given this much thought, but I think I'm opposed to the idea of elevating a basket like that. Elevating a green is cool, but elevating a basket to that extreme without elevating part of the green...if you miss, your lie won't improve (it may even get worse,) and you may just have to keep chucking the disc up there until it falls in. Considering I have no way to be able to practice that and get better at it, I'd be ticked if I 3 or 4-putted that hole from 10'. I've played a couple elevated baskets, but the surrounding 10' under the basket is flat and elevated, so if you miss, it'll likely just cost you one stroke, which seems fair to me.

Unless you have a practice basket that is also elevated like that...

Trust me Miller, I'm on the same train as you. I thought they were going to elevate it maybe 3-4 from the ground, and just create a mildly elevated green. But when I showed up half way thru their work party I saw they were laying the foundation for a HUGE platform. This is a tough hole as is. I think I've birdied it 3-4 times in 7 years.
This makes even the layup super difficult. You're prolly lookin at a lot of good players aiming for 4 in tournaments.

I too am not a big fan of some elevated baskets, for the reasons emiller3 described. I think i like this one though and its very cool that you have the freedom and means to do that kind of course work though. Looks like it will add a stroke for most people unless you are fortunate enough to hit the green from a distance. Risk/reward is high if you run at it.

Will the ties go all the way to the tops of the poles that are holding them? That's tall. Like, 'hey where's the railing' tall.

I think their plans are to lay more railroad ties to stack it to the height of the outside rails. And then to basically fill it in with dirt and make it a mound with the pole being the center.
THe back is supposed to slope down. I really am not sure how this will be sustained. I just have a feeling that packing that much dirt in and just sloping it off, it's going to erode and take the land with it with the water runoff. I don't really know. It's not my idea, I just helped them halfway thru that work day to get stuff done.

Unless they're building a concession stand to go inside the green, then it's a waste of time. I'sa want some Gatorade after doin all that hussle and bussle for a putt.

The harder the hole the better I say what would disc golf be like if we made every course the same, it adds something different to the hole, Yes its difficult yes you can go from a birdie to a bogey in one putt but that's what makes it interesting I would love to play that course.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. There is a certain ingenuity that goes into making a hole harder through artificial ways. However, I have heard a guy say that it's too much of a gimmick making holes like that. His point was that it doesn't play into the natural elevation.

The way I look at it is that some courses give you "lemons" and you have to turn those "lemons" into a 20 ft. high basket.

Well this hole is pretty difficult as is. A par is makeable if you don't overdo your drive and end up in the thick.
Basically in a nutshell, Right hand hyzer route. 360 feet UPHILL. There's a bottle neck about 40-50 feet in front of the tee box. So your actual hyzer route is pretty limited. You have to aim for the left side of the bottle neck, BOMB it straight for about 200 and then make it gracefully hyzer. There's lots of trees in the fairway.

I've birdied this hole maybe 3-5 times in the last 6+ years. One was from a 30 foot putt, the last time was a tournament with a lucky 200 foot upshot.
Now, I won't be going for the birdie. I'll be going for a less ballsy drive to land to the right of the fairway to give me a decent look at a 150 foot roc upshot.
I'm sure me blabbing about it hardly helps visualize it, but I see myself getting 5s on this hole now when I could usually get a 4 if I messed up my drive.

Seems like a lot of work to create a gimicky hole. Has anyone designing this actually tried to putt at a basket that high?

Yeah, seems like you'd have to be outside 20 or so to even have a decent angle for a putt. Agree with the rest that this appears to be a bit extreme.

Well it's all finished. They did it about a month ago. Yesterday was my first time playing in over a month so it was the first taste I got of it.
33904_10150276251240483_550940482_14944660_1688988_n.jpg

44907_10150276251355483_550940482_14944666_6597700_n.jpg

I know the basket is a little hard to see since it blends in. But you get the idea. I took a pic of my buddy standing next to it to show how you have to stand and push your discs up to get em out. You can reach in and grab em but it's a little tall.
My opinion, I don't like it. I don't like gimmicky holes where luck plays a major role in your score of that hole. The mound that this thing is on is pretty steep. I threw my upshot from about 90 feet away and it was flat as hell. It landed FLAT and slid to the bottom of the back of the walkup. To me, if the mound was less of a slope and more of a rounded turtleback flat you'd be rewarded for an accurate upshot. Problem is, most people's approach on this hole is going to be their 3rd shot.

I'm all for making it tough, but I think the risk/reward is very slim. Even trying to play it safe you're going to be penalized pretty bad. To me, that makes it less of a challenging hole, and more of a "roll the dice and see" situation.

There is a pin position similar to this at an "extinct" course around Charlotte NC. The hole plays a hyzer route across a power line area into the woods on the other side where the basket is on an elevation. There is one place near the back where the boulder is flat enough to layup your shot on to where you can drop it in. Otherwise your stuck with going for it and expecting to be back at the bottom if you miss. First time i played i took an 8 on the hole.
b8333b9b.jpg

Latest posts