• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tree Monsters or Gnomes or Whatever They Are

TalbotTrojan

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Recently I have has more fun attempting to get discs that are stuck in a tree down that you could ever want to have.

Last weekend I was playing with my roomate who is just learning to play and he got his disc stuck at the top of a tree. I started by trying to climb to get a better shot at the disc, but this proved futile as the disc really was stuck at the top of the tree. We then began throwing my water bottle, a Nalgene full of water. After several attempts we managed to get that stuck up there too. My roomate then went to his truck and pulled out a few wrenches. Hey, if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball. Two of the wrenches got stuck up in the tree. Finally he decided to go home and get a bunch of his old baseballs for us to use. While he did this I finished my round. By the time I made it back to the tree he had gotten the disc and my water bottle down, but not before getting one of the baseballs stuck up there as well. He was able to get the baseball back and then the two wrenches finally made there way back down as well.

While that first story by far takes the cake, I was playing today when low and behold I got a disc stuck up in a tree. Throwing my water bottle seemed to be close to working until it got stuck up there. I was able to find a pine cone and got close on several attempts before that got stuck up there as well. I called my roomate to have him come and help me out but much to my amazement and with great thankfulness to the wind from the oncoming storm, my disc fell out of the tree. I finished my round and then went back to wait by the tree until my roomate could come or the wind would blow my waterbottle out as well. About 15 minutes later the wind gusted and out came my waterbottle. Whew.

Any other good tree stories? And what in the world lives up in the trees that keeps taking all my things? I was thinking about attempting to train a squirrel to climb the tree to get my stuff but I am sure an epic battle would ensue between the squirrel and whatever it is that is up there collecting things.

there was a post on here (i cant find it right now) that showed his whole side scraped up from falling down a pine tree getting his disc. looks awful painful to me!

Not quite as good as that but today at Lenora my wife was attempting to shoot around the tree on #13 which is a right-hand dog leg. She clocked it pretty hard with her star leopard and right after that this bird started bitching up a storm.

I guess she woke it up.

That might be one of the funniest things that I have read on here.(The line about the wrenches)I broke my 300$ Oakleys one time in OKC climbing and evergreen for my disc. Huh....a 15 dollar disc or a 300 dollar pair of glasses. Well I guess Ill take both please!

I almost lost my putter in this old, thick as a brick Cedar tree. I looked for it for 15 minutes, would have attempted to climb it but it literally had a moat of poison ivy around the trunk. I nearly gave up but I took one last look and lo and behold, an owl attacked my face. Ok, that didn't happen, but I did see it and managed to knock it down. I'm gonna start carrying a slingshot if this becomes habitual.

there was a post on here (i cant find it right now) that showed his whole side scraped up from falling down a pine tree getting his disc. looks awful painful to me!

I remember that one too! Dude got pretty messed up going after that disc.

Not quite as good as that but today at Lenora my wife was attempting to shoot around the tree on #13 which is a right-hand dog leg. She clocked it pretty hard with her star leopard and right after that this bird started bitching up a storm.

I guess she woke it up.

Funny you should mention birds. I was playing a round today and got my Champ Roadrunner in a cedar tree. I climbed up, but wasn't able to reach it, so I started shaking the tree trying to get the disc out. The disc fell, then out of now where this cardinal flew right at me. I thought this thing was going to attack. Maybe there was a nest nearby or something, but I didn't see one.

Your roomate carries wrenches in his car? Does he drive a Chrysler product or something?

That's what they get for throwing their disc right under the tree instead of on the fairway! Talk about risk/reward...

My main course has plenty of disc grabbing trees, I carry a 12 oz plastic coke bottle full of water to kill the disc grabbing tree. I just carry the bottle in a bottle holder on my bag. My beverages are carried in a cooler on my PVC cart. I had to knock 4 discs out last wednesday, I had a bad round that day. :)

Ok, I'm a little confused..... do the courses yall play on not have rocks laying around to use to get your discs out of trees???? I know it can still be quite the task hitting a disc that's stuck 30-40' up in a tree but you don't risk getting your water bottle, baseballs, (or wrenches) stuck. Plus, you don't have that extra weight in your bag..... :D

I know a guy who has a little slingshot he carries, and just uses small rocks or pinecones or whatever is around. The slingshot is pretty light, and doesn't take up a lot of space in the bag. I personally just carry a baseball, and I've never not retrieved one either with the ball or by climbing.

I was playing with one of my colleagues one saturday, we were on hole 60-something for the day and I threw a heavy hyzer high to avoid a tree. Well, my poor release made it go in the direction of the tree instead of around it. We heard it hit and walked up to look for it. Understand that the word tree here is used loosely, what it actually was was a dead trunk covered in vines. We looked and looked for the disc and couldn't find it finally my friend looked up and couldn't believe his eyes. There was my disc, sandwiched between the tree and the vines. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes i never would have believed it. We gathered up heavy sticks and had it down shortly after.

Today I saw something quite amazing amidst one of my worst rounds ever. I played through this group and then when I was a hole ahead I looked back and saw a bright red disc stuck on the trunk of a palm tree, probably about 100' up or so. I chuckled and if I hadn't hurt my back later on in the round I would have half a mind to go climb that tree and get the disc for him. Palm trees are much easier to climb usually.