• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Trouble throwing Innova champion discs?

mole351

Hi all! just getting back into disc golf after years away. i've always thrown innova DX discs, had a champion disc (forget which) years ago and couldn't throw it for anything. didn't know much about which discs did what or why - just knew what discs i had that i liked.

Fast forward 10 years - i really dig the valkyrie and teebird dx discs i just bought after watching reviews and looking for discs to get. also educated myself on which does what and the different disc measures. since i really liked the valkyrie and teebird i thought i'd get a few in champion plastic.

WELL - it throws just like my old champion plastic disc did - doesn't sail/glide and breaks hard left (right back hand thrower). same weight and disc models as my dx's - which i can get to sail. anyone else have this problem or know why it is happening?

i love the dx but want something that doesn't get beat up as quickly as i hit a lot of freaking trees :D

There's a huge step up in stability from a DX disc to a Champion disc in the same mold. I'm not familiar with Valks, so I'll let others make recommendations there. But as for Teebirds, a Pro or G* Teebird is going to be closer to what you want than a Champ. Or you could grab a Star TL, which is technically a different mold but flight should be similar to your DX Teebird. An S-Line FD is another good option.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't get rid of those Champ discs though. They will work as a headwind version of your other discs, and you likely will eventually grow into them for full-time duties.

i love the dx but want something that doesn't get beat up as quickly as i hit a lot of freaking trees :D

Welcome back to DG. :thmbup:

Yes, Champion plastic produces more overstable discs than DX plastic in the same molds, and there is not much getting around that. Some possible solutions for your problem:

The Valkyrie and the Teebird come in just about every plastic Innova makes. You can try a Star plastic disc, which will be pretty durable and is normally less overstable than Champion plastic. Also, Pro plastic is not as durable as Star or Champ, but is not as overstable and should be more grippy than Star or Champ. I like my Pro Valkyrie a lot. I'm not sure if Pro Teebirds are available; DiscGolfCenter is sold out of them right now.

I think someone above mentioned less overstable molds to compliment the Valk and Teebird, and you could try one of those also.

Last edited:
Personally I love me some star plastic. Its grippy and really durable, and once you beat em in just a tad, they only get better. But they will also be a bit more stable than your DX. GStar is a solid option, but it can get pretty floppy, especially in the heat.

Pro is in between DX and Star in durability (closer to DX) but is very grippy and has silly glide like DX plastic. Personally I find a pro, star and champion (or metal flake) combination of the same discs can cover a lot of stability ranges.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Welcome back. You are throwing the most stable versions of both of the discs you mention. Keep them, and get their cousins in the pro, or star or g-star plastics to branch out on the range of possibilities each mold has. Somewhere in the range of plastics is exactly what you want from them, and it will take a beating and keep on flying exactly how you remember it. Only better.
Or don't, and get new molds that accomplish basically the same thing.

Try Star or Pro. They are usually less OS than Champ and don't beat in quite as quickly.

Hi all! just getting back into disc golf after years away. i've always thrown innova DX discs, had a champion disc (forget which) years ago and couldn't throw it for anything. didn't know much about which discs did what or why - just knew what discs i had that i liked.

Fast forward 10 years - i really dig the valkyrie and teebird dx discs i just bought after watching reviews and looking for discs to get. also educated myself on which does what and the different disc measures. since i really liked the valkyrie and teebird i thought i'd get a few in champion plastic.

WELL - it throws just like my old champion plastic disc did - doesn't sail/glide and breaks hard left (right back hand thrower). same weight and disc models as my dx's - which i can get to sail. anyone else have this problem or know why it is happening?

Try Star or Pro. They are usually less OS than Champ and don't beat in quite as quickly.

Though the flat top or near flatter Valkyrie in Star will fly like a Viking so unless you want that get a normal dome as the high dome Valkyrie in Star is almost a Viking. The other option if you like Champion Valkyrie is get a lighter weight around 5 grams off from what you used before and that should help. Last tip the Pro Valkyrie will also be more OS when new if flat top but will be more the way a Valkyrie should be as the disc wears in and does not break in bad like the DX plastic can if you hit something on the course.

I have the nearly flat top Star Valkyrie as second disc to my Champion because I can use it in more wind like a Viking due to the OS nature as well as wet conditions and I do not need to use another mold if I am wanting the Valkyrie for the type of shots it can do well like the low glide drive.

Last edited:
Wow thanks all for the great feedback. I will try my hand with Star plastic as a starting point and go from there.

I had that problem also, so I don't throw Champion plastic. Star, pro and DX works great!

This^^^^ I have only 3 champ discs in my bag a blizzard champ katana, and a champ rocx3 and a firebird that i want overstable.

I like Champion plastic in the warm weather, so I'm currently throwing a Champ Sidewinder as my stable control driver. It gets very little turn even in headwinds. It flies almost identical to my S-line CD2, but when my hands are sweaty the Star/S-line plastic gets a little slick, so I reach for the Sidewinder. My Star Sidewinder is extremely flippy after throwing it for a couple months.

For reference I'm only 5'6" and 135 lbs, so your mileage may vary.

Latest posts