• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to Learn (video form critique)

You need to swing the disc like it's much heavier and get more forward balanced on your front foot. Your grip looks a bit nose up oriented, and you swing your arm/disc too high in the reachback because you aren't tilted forward toward shoulders over knees in athletic balance/positioning. So your arm/disc is swinging high to low, and nose up like it's not heavy. If your grip was nose down oriented your disc would fly into the ground 10' in front of you.

You need to swing the disc like it's much heavier and get more forward balanced on your front foot. Your grip looks a bit nose up oriented, and you swing your arm/disc too high in the reachback because you aren't tilted forward toward shoulders over knees in athletic balance/positioning. So your arm/disc is swinging high to low, and nose up like it's not heavy. If your grip was nose down oriented your disc would fly into the ground 10' in front of you.

Thank you so much, the first video describes exactly what I was feeling 2 weeks ago and was unable to replicate since. I think the issues with my swing and standing upright(nonathletic) started happening because I was so focused on trying to figure out what I was screwing up with my lower body.

I still haven't had much time to work on things but I read the thread where someone described the reach back as tug-o-war-like and some differences in body positions kinda clicked. When I reach back like I'm about to pull against a nearly immovable rope, my stance is much more closed and I feel my right shoulder drop down below my left. I think I understand now what sw22 meant about my reach back being over the top, and needing to act like I was swinging a heavier object. It just didn't make sense exactly until I read the tug-o-war thing. When thinking about the throw this way, I'm also feeling a more defined target-ward motion of the hips followed by a quick rotation, instead of it all happening at once. All of this seems to have flattened my throwing plane and helped my issue with nose up. I didn't get my shoulder dropped as much in this video as I was feeling this weekend but its what I was able to get on camera tonight.

slo mo
http://vid1161.photobucket.com/albums/q514/clydesdale80/20151021_181137_001_zpsxzxaamdt.mp4

fullspeed
http://vid1161.photobucket.com/albums/q514/clydesdale80/20151021_181137_zpsc8wod3pt.mp4

I think I could drop my right shoulder farther than what I see in this video and probably take a smaller step. What do guys think?

That is in the right direction, but doesn't guarantee you will make the correct move.

Yeah your front knee looks like it's leaking forward and you're putting most of your effort into that knee/thigh. Instead get into the right foot's instep/heel with a more angled leg/slightly bent knee.

It's been awhile

I tried to continue working on my standstill as much as the Iowa winter would allow. I was playing mostly by myself and so didn't get any new vids to critique. I've recently moved to southern Illinois and now that I'm settled in I'm trying some of the local courses and my wife took some videos for me.
Today my throws did not feel as under control and smooth as they had recently. I was occasionally getting a little over the top and wasn't getting the disc in tight enough to my right pec to feel a good hit. On a couple holes today I tried incorporating a slow x-step for the first time since early last summer. I knew I was having bracing issues and thought the extra momentum might help me find a way to solidify my brace.
I can tell from these my brace is still "squishy" because of my bent knee. I do feel like I'm finishing a little more upright than before and my good throws are smoother. The vid from behind was my best throw of the day, felt great and parked a hole marked 355'. The side view with x-step as well as the standstill felt off balanced and came out with more hyzer than intended.

http://vid1161.photobucket.com/albu...Uploads/20160508_171444_001_1_zpsnwzheput.mp4

http://vid1161.photobucket.com/albu...e Uploads/20160508_170436_001_zps7rtt2c1e.mp4

http://vid1161.photobucket.com/albu...obile Uploads/20160508_163935_zpsekqhd4mh.mp4

1. Watch the difference in your stride from the x-steps, you are too backward and kicking your front foot way out in front, instead of striding leading with your hips(hershyzer drill) and moving your leg and weight more together. Need to keep both your feet more perpendicular striding toward the target and turning more inside your posture later.

2. Watch the difference in your front knee after the plant. KJ straightens his knee/braces clears the front hip back. Your knee collapses past your ankle, no bracing posture and end up swaying.

3. Watch the difference in your elbow position going into reachback. KJ keeps his elbow more forward and turns his shoulders further back under him. Your elbow is moving around too much, lagging too far back and up and down from your shoulder plane. Pretend you have a table perpendicular to your chest and shoulders, your elbow(whole arm) should swing along the top of the table. If your shoulders(spine) are tilted your arm should swing on that same tilted table with the chest/shoulders.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...&t=13291&sid=18f4f79795a19ec0c19caf448309c89e
FofH-HoganGlassPlane.jpg

25z2g4z.jpg

1. Watch the difference in your stride from the x-steps, you are too backward and kicking your front foot way out in front, instead of striding leading with your hips(hershyzer drill) and moving your leg and weight more together. Need to keep both your feet more perpendicular striding toward the target and turning more inside your posture later.

2. Watch the difference in your front knee after the plant. KJ straightens his knee/braces clears the front hip back. Your knee collapses past your ankle, no bracing posture and end up swaying.

3. Watch the difference in your elbow position going into reachback. KJ keeps his elbow more forward and turns his shoulders further back under him. Your elbow is moving around too much, lagging too far back and up and down from your shoulder plane. Pretend you have a table perpendicular to your chest and shoulders, your elbow(whole arm) should swing along the top of the table. If your shoulders(spine) are tilted your arm should swing on that same tilted table with the chest/shoulders.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...&t=13291&sid=18f4f79795a19ec0c19caf448309c89e
FofH-HoganGlassPlane.jpg

25z2g4z.jpg

Just wanna verify that i'm taking the right things away from this.
1. Delay my turn backwards until after my final step so that it is more of a step sideways and less of a back-step. This should keep my foot more underneath my weight as long as i don't do the splits.
2. My front knee should be straighter so i rise up on that brace instead of sinking into a bent knee. I've known this one was a problem but have struggled to make it happen, hopefully "1." Will help lead into this.
3. Reachback should be on-plane with throw instead of swinging pendulum style underneath.

Let me know if I'm misinterpreting any of what you said. As I'm sure you can tell by now, I have very little natural tendency towards athletically efficient movements.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just wanna verify that i'm taking the right things away from this.
1. Delay my turn backwards until after my final step so that it is more of a step sideways and less of a back-step. This should keep my foot more underneath my weight as long as i don't do the splits.
2. My front knee should be straighter so i rise up on that brace instead of sinking into a bent knee. I've known this one was a problem but have struggled to make it happen, hopefully "1." Will help lead into this.
3. Reachback should be on-plane with throw instead of swinging pendulum style underneath.

Let me know if I'm misinterpreting any of what you said. As I'm sure you can tell by now, I have very little natural tendency towards athletically efficient movements.

3. Reachback/backswing can still be a pendulum and on plane with the shoulders, you just need to rotate your shoulders more tilted vertically(via spine tilt)in the pendulum with the arm on plane.

3. Reachback/backswing can still be a pendulum and on plane with the shoulders, you just need to rotate your shoulders more tilted vertically(via spine tilt)in the pendulum with the arm on plane.
Awesome, thank you

This video marks almost exactly a year since I played disc golf for the first time. Things look a little smoother to me than before. I'm still probably turning back a little early but better than before. I'm also still struggling to get my brace leg as straight as it should be. I also had more spine tilt/dropping right shoulder than before but its not obvious because the camera angle (my wife was sitting on the ground to film me).Throwing felt very relaxed but I was getting farther than my typical distance. The throw in the vid was an old dx roc that flipped up and landed 10ft short of a basket marked 313ft straight ahead.

http://vid1161.photobucket.com/albu...e Uploads/20160610_200456_001_zpsnwl1bqya.mp4

Looking smoother. You can't see it from this camera angle as well, but obvious enough is that you need to stay more on your toes, your balance is behind your heels. Get your nose and shoulder over your knees and toes.

Sooooo..... thank you sw22 as well as hub and others. Had a major breakthrough today on complete accident. I was focusing on nose over toes and keeping my head down and things were feeling good but not anything incredible. Then i had a throw where my timing felt weird and the disc went flying effortlessly. I use kind of a wide rail and have always tried to have the direction change be under my right pec so thats where I always pulled to from my reachback.
On the throw that felt weird, it was as though the direction change was more focused at my right foot than anywhere in relation to my chest. So I tried throwing by pulling towards my right heel from my reachback, instant distance, instant accuracy.
Ill post a vid in a bit of a 300' rhyno throw that shows i'm suddenly pivoting on my heel and bracing. Thanks again guys for helping get me in the right positions for this to happen!

:thmbup: Don't try to keep your head down though...

Watch KJ's head, shoulder and arm compared to yours. You are hyper extending your elbow at the top of the backswing, KJ still has some flex/tautness. Then when the swing starts forward your head drops/shoulder rises, while KJ shifts his head/spine upright onto the front leg and the shoulder rotates through under the tilt.