• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to Learn (video form critique)

Ok, thought i read that somewhere

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I think he means don't keep it down thru the whole swing so that it inhibits your back swing. Your head should move with your shoulders but at the hit point you want it "down" and not swinging around watching your shot, as that pulls your upper body around and takes things off axis.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Watch KJ's head, shoulder and arm compared to yours. You are hyper extending your elbow at the top of the backswing, KJ still has some flex/tautness. Then when the swing starts forward your head drops/shoulder rises, while KJ shifts his head/spine upright onto the front leg and the shoulder rotates through under the tilt.

Ok, i'll work on that, i must have misunderstood something about the head before. As far as the elbow thing, that's my ehlers danlos syndrome showing up. Anyone want to bet I can't lick my own elbow?[emoji57]

I haven't really been focusing on changing/improving my form for awhile because my first tournament was in July and I wanted to keep things consistent. I think it went pretty well considering it was my first and I played intermediate. My first 2 rounds were rated 850 and then I dropped off with an ugly 795. My main problem was hitting my release point accurately. disc angle was good, distance was good, but I was spraying my releases in across a 30 degree arc. I'm hoping this shotgun pattern will narrow down if I continue to improve my form.

No video today but was throwing similar to my last vid and seemed to put hyzer on everything. This was getting leopard to 320 and teebirds to 340ish. I noticed that I wasn't dropping my right shoulder underneath in my reachback so I focused on that and head up, the next throw flew 412' before hitting 5' high on a raised bank. That was with an escape.

Looking forward to working on this more once the heat index drops below 105 for awhile.

Its been a long time since i posted to this thread. I have spent the last year just trying to make small adjustments to increase consistency and smoothness. I have also been strength training (gained about 40lbs) which i feel has greatly improved the athleticism of my movement. My aim and control of my release point is much better but still not as good as i would like. I would say my comfortable distance has pushed out to 385-400 ft with ~10 speed drivers like a tesla. I dont usually like throwing max distance drivers but I found a used octane with just a slight turn that i can hit reach around 425 fairly regularly. On occasion i have measured throws with it close to 450 but this is only when i get a perfect release where it comes out slight hyzer and slowly rolls to the point where it drifts right for what seems like forever before finally fading left past center(i really like this disc).

It was warm enough yesterday that I got out to do some field work for the first time this year. Being early in the year and still a little chilly, I did feel kind of stiff. Let me know what I need to focus on to keep improving.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D2IirDwUofirZE042

Also, photobucket isn't working for videos anymore so I'm trying google, let me know if you can't see the vid.

Dude looks pretty good! Only thing that looks off to me is your brace/balance through the hit. I think your weight is drifting forward instead of staying anchored more in place and pivoting. I'm not sure exactly how to tell you to fix it though. I think you are coming over the top slightly by trying to "lean" into the shot instead of staying more upright.

Yeah, you are pushing your upper body over top your front leg from the rear leg, instead of pushing yourself upright from underneath the rear foot onto a braced front leg in dynamic balance.

Need to keep your front knee/hip and head braced dynamically upright inside/behind the front ankle.
wRNmKrX.png

Yeah, you are pushing your upper body over top your front leg from the rear leg, instead of pushing yourself upright from underneath the rear foot onto a braced front leg in dynamic balance.

Need to keep your front knee/hip and head braced dynamically upright inside/behind the front ankle.
wRNmKrX.png

Thanks, is there any que or specific change such as foot placement ect. that would help me achieve this?

Thanks, is there any que or specific change such as foot placement ect. that would help me achieve this?

Not really about placement, but your balance. You aren't balanced on your rear leg striding into the plant, so you can't really setup to land in dynamic balance on the plant leg. Your front foot is leading your stride instead of your butt/hips/weight, and trying to pushing your hips forward too late so upper body goes over top. In Hershyzer part 1 you are kicking the wall way before your butt hits it. Hard to tell from side camera angle, but also appears your butt is swaying away/not pressed against wall in Butt Wipe Drill, stacked/balanced upright over rear foot.

Not really about placement, but your balance. You aren't balanced on your rear leg striding into the plant, so you can't really setup to land in dynamic balance on the plant leg. Your front foot is leading your stride instead of your butt/hips/weight, and trying to pushing your hips forward too late so upper body goes over top. In Hershyzer part 1 you are kicking the wall way before your butt hits it. Hard to tell from side camera angle, but also appears your butt is swaying away/not pressed against wall in Butt Wipe Drill, stacked/balanced upright over rear foot.

That should help, thanks

I'm still working on balance myself, and I'd suggest looking at the early part of your x-step. I consistently throw myself out of balance with my first step, and it's almost impossible to come back into balance. Also, starting out slow and gaining momentum is a big part of that. I'm consistently reminding myself to stop trying to lunge with the first step.

You want to move your body weight in balance to the front leg to swing. And you need to have a straight spine for good form. So think about shifting your lower spine or lower back onto your front leg. If you move your lower spine to the front leg, and stay with a balanced spine/no hunching, you will have moved all of your mass to the front leg in balance and maintain good swing planes. Right now you are moving your upper spine/shoulders forward to the front leg and then things keep tipping. Some torso tilt will happen, but with momentum you will stay in dynamic balance.

To me the X-step, balance, and all that look much better and more targetward. You seem to set up nicely.

It just seems that as soon as the front heel is coming down and you are transferring the weight, you are doing it right through the plant leg rather than continuing the "from behind" type of direction and trusting that the brace leg will clear the front hip back and set you up. You can see your rear femur gets jammed directly at your front hip/the brace and you just collide into that plant leg.

I would maybe suggest the one leg drill to feel what it's like to swing freely on the plant leg. It will help you feel the upright balance/pivot and the hip clear. Also perhaps the door frame drill to just feel hanging off the door frame into the plant with pressure through the back hip "from behind".

Your X-step seems nice, so just continuing this from behind feeling and catching your weight in a closed manner to clear the front hip to start the swing is what has to happen I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvGudQYfjD8

The forward move of the hips needs to happen in the backswing and from behind you. Looks like you are trying to make it happen in the forward swing or slightly from in front you. Your brace on the front leg continues forward too much during the swing, instead clearing the front hip out/back to release the upper body and arm swing forward.