• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable speed 9 drivers.

There were some Star Valks that came out very flat and were very overstable relative to Valks in other plastics and amounts of dome. I happened to get one of those. IMHO it wasn't just the plastic but the way they molded up. I'm preferring my Champion Valks (both F2s) when I throw Valks on the range; they are not as beefy.

I see. My F2 Star is pretty flat. I like it though because it allows for different type of lines. I figure it'll beat into "traditonal Valk" territory then I can carry a freshy with it. I'm digging it though becuase if I put anny on it it takes the anny but always hooks up at the very end. Very unique disc.

Yeah this thing has piqued my interest for sure. I haven't looked into it much yet.

Garrett Gurthie used a Sphinx on a roller in the Utah Open this weekend. I'm looking forward to trying it as a roller, and also see if I can use it for a dead-straight disc in the woods, maybe on a hyzer flip or less than 100% power throw.

Garrett Gurthie used a Sphinx on a roller in the Utah Open this weekend. I'm looking forward to trying it as a roller, and also see if I can use it for a dead-straight disc in the woods, maybe on a hyzer flip or less than 100% power throw.

Yeah, I saw that. At first I thought I didnt like the name of it.... Then I realized Inthrow Wizards and a Doombird so that subsided LOL.

Sphinx sounds nice. I haven't found much luck with Innova molded speed 9 flippy drivers. For me, they tend to fly more overstable than I would ever expect.

Trilogy, on the other hand, is where it's at for that flippy complement to my thunderbirds. Until I fully work a pro thundie in, a fuzion escape and a VIP hatchet make very nice flip up and fly discs that rely on glide to get where they are going. I liked the Culverin too, which was plenty stable for me, however they tended to get away from me a little easier than a thundie, especially into a headwind.

Sphinx sounds nice. I haven't found much luck with Innova molded speed 9 flippy drivers. For me, they tend to fly more overstable than I would ever expect.

Trilogy, on the other hand, is where it's at for that flippy complement to my thunderbirds. Until I fully work a pro thundie in, a fuzion escape and a VIP hatchet make very nice flip up and fly discs that rely on glide to get where they are going. I liked the Culverin too, which was plenty stable for me, however they tended to get away from me a little easier than a thundie, especially into a headwind.

Have you tried a Fury? Gold Line Furys beat in from mildly to very understable in a relatively short time with frequent use. Until the Sphinx came along, nothing was able to replace the Fury in my bag.

I'll take a thundy on hyzer into any headwind. I havent found a single DD fairway mold that was able to stay in my bag.

I decided to revive this thread simply because I couldn't fond a Valk thread. So the question I have is: are the star Valks more stable than others? I have jeard that newer Valks are coming out more stable Is this true? TIA for any input

So, the stars are particularly beefy over the other plastics? I have an amazing F2 star and its nothing like my older champ (now lost) and if I work this bad boy on paired with a fresh one it'll cover a multitude of lines.

Basically yes they have more beef than years ago did, thought it isn't a crazy amount. From the Starfire thread:

Have you thrown a recently run Valk? I purchased four Stars and two Champs (and a bunch of DX but that's another story) and they all have some meat to them fresh. Not overstable but I was putting them near 450' with minimal turn. 375' on some tight holes and the fade was apparent. Thrown next to some older 4x JKs that are 6ish/10 it was obvious that these discs were new, but also made me consider the possibility they'd be beefier than a 10/10 4x. Difficult to compare a used and kind of abused PLH to one fresh off the press:|

I agree it's abandoned, but shouldn't be. Hell...most of DGCR would benefit from only throwing them as a distance driver and nothing faster. Valks has a magical cruise to them and just take off.

Now for my question, why did I stop throwing them for so many years? :wall:

Have you tried a Fury? Gold Line Furys beat in from mildly to very understable in a relatively short time with frequent use. Until the Sphinx came along, nothing was able to replace the Fury in my bag.

I have thrown a Fury actually, and I think the thing that caused them not to click was the blunt nose which seems to slow them down. I got a nice flightpath with them, but I felt like I was getting the wiggle I was looking for with less forward penetration and carry than I expected.

If I didn't like the flight of the VIP Hatchet I found so much, I would likely be throwing an Opto Fury. Oddly enough, yes, I have tried both of these molds in GL or TP, and I found both to be more stable than opto/VIP. I found the same thing to be true of the Underworld.