• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Very humbling

magoo_lc1

Ive been doing so well on my local short course (its 9) with shortish under 300 foot holes that i braved up and went back to the monster of a course i started on. I had thrown really well over the weekend finishing 2 under both times on the small course. Went out this morning and man i was knocked down a peg by the 900+ foot holes. Being a super noob (still under a month of play) i have not got down any kind of distance. Triple bogesy were very normal today...lol. My cobra that i really enjoy looks so good in flight when im only throwing on a avg of 250 ish holes. I need to find someone local who can help with my technique on drives. I know for the little time ive been playing i shouldnt be trying to chuck it 400 feet but low 2's would be nice...lol

do you mean low 3's?

edit: nevermind. I reread your post. def try a leopard. pro or dx. that was my first disc to cross the 250 threshold.

Last edited:
I like your idea of finding a local pro and playing with them. Playing with people who are good is an excellent way to learn as well.

It's awesome that you're not getting frustrated by your high scores and instead are viewing it as a opportunity to get better. Stay optimistic and keep at it! Also, try getting a Leopard. ;)

West City has some "long for long sake" holes like #9. Really the only reason that hole is there is to get you across that park from #8's basket to #10's tee, and it doesn't really do a very good job of that, either. If you throw short, there is really nothing you can do with a hole like that. A lot of the holes at West City are pretty much "throw far or go home." If you want to shoot well there, you have to work on throwing longer.

I only throw 250'. You should still 5 a 1000' hole which is what par on a 1000' hole should be.

West City has some "long for long sake" holes like #9. Really the only reason that hole is there is to get you across that park from #8's basket to #10's tee, and it doesn't really do a very good job of that, either. If you throw short, there is really nothing you can do with a hole like that. A lot of the holes at West City are pretty much "throw far or go home." If you want to shoot well there, you have to work on throwing longer.

LOL it is west city for sure. Im not complaining...on the opposite i like the challenge. On that course i dont even write down score i just keep it in my head. Number 1 is a doozey too. 2 is short but insane. First time i played there it took me forever to find the basket buried in the woods. How do you like the big downhill throw on 3? and The big uphill on 8. Correct me if im wrong but i wouldnt really consider this a beginners course? I like the scenery though and ill find someone to learn from around here.

To those that mentioned the leopard; is the cobra pretty equivalent? If not i have a cyclone on the way. It should be here today or tomorrow. I love the glide of the cobra and it has become my fave disc right now. Like many noobs i ran out and bought a couple drivers that i cant throw to dave my life (yet). I have a avenger elite z,Predator z and surge flx waiting for me when i get better.

I only throw 250'. You should still 5 a 1000' hole which is what par on a 1000' hole should be.

I am not throwing 250 consistently yet. More like high 180s. But this is only my thrird week and i am used to a short course that ive never had to throw that far. Hell i dont care if it takes me 10 shots for a hole. Im usually alone and doing it for fun and practice. Id be elated at consistent 250s

LOL it is west city for sure. Im not complaining...on the opposite i like the challenge. On that course i dont even write down score i just keep it in my head. Number 1 is a doozey too. 2 is short but insane. First time i played there it took me forever to find the basket buried in the woods. How do you like the big downhill throw on 3? and The big uphill on 8. Correct me if im wrong but i wouldnt really consider this a beginners course? I like the scenery though and ill find someone to learn from around here.
West City has some cool shots. Festus has a good set up with the recreational course at Jokerest and the harder course at West City. We have the same sort of set up in Rolla; Ber Juan is a solid recreational 9-hole and Lion's Club is a more challenging 18. You can a wide spectrum of players with that sort of set up; the courses compliment each other quite well.

I am not throwing 250 consistently yet. More like high 180s. But this is only my thrird week and i am used to a short course that ive never had to throw that far. Hell i dont care if it takes me 10 shots for a hole. Im usually alone and doing it for fun and practice. Id be elated at consistent 250s

I'm just tellin' you you can do good without crazy D. I am not a great golfer by any stretch but I don't stink the course up either.

The key to not having big D is to have a deadly upshot, even if that upshot is as long as your drive. Precision is a must with a short arm.

My goal on every upshot is a drop in and I usually only end up putting 5-6 times a round if I can help it.

He might have a little trouble getting par on hole #5 at Winny Gold down in Roc Hill though.:\ That one is about a thousand feet.

but a 6 would be a good score anyway. A beginner should set reasonable expectations. Even pro's have trouble with #5 winthrop gold.

but a 6 would be a good score anyway. A beginner should set reasonable expectations. Even pro's have trouble with #5 winthrop gold.

Exactly. I dont know what the winthrop gold is but im just throwing. I played ball golf a bit in the 80s and got turned off by the whiners and bitchers. I quit because for one in my experience it was to much a clicky club. Im sure this is that way on a certain level but probaly everything is to some extent. I havent ran into it yet. The few people i have seen on the course have been generally nice. As long as i hit the basket without loosing a disc or decapitating a small child i consdier it a good day at the course:thmbup:

I'm just tellin' you you can do good without crazy D. I am not a great golfer by any stretch but I don't stink the course up either.

The key to not having big D is to have a deadly upshot, even if that upshot is as long as your drive. Precision is a must with a short arm.

My goal on every upshot is a drop in and I usually only end up putting 5-6 times a round if I can help it.

I was just stating i wish i could throw 250 like you are:thmbup: Im guessing upshot means your approach shots once you leave the tee? Sorry for sounding silly but this is all a new language to me.:)

Nuther noob here :hfive: Sounds like I've been at it about as long as Magoo. A good drive for me is 200-215 feet. I can get that consistently if it's a straight shot. Trying to go farther results in either just petering out or I throw it high and it boomerangs back. If I have to try to make it go around something, it aint going very far. Keeping the nose down and using more body with arm is helping for distance. Still have a wicked left hook though. Keeping low helps there too. The higher I throw, the more it comes back.

Try the noob thread. Good Q and A there. :thmbup:

^^ Yea ive been checking that out. For some reason if i throw at hip level or as you say a bit nose down i cut the grass with mine..lol. I dont even how the whole hyzer/anhyzer works yet but im not so worried about it. I get the principal but if i try to wrap my mind around it all i see if if i nose up i fly straight up and back down..nose down it goes 50 feet and lands hard in teh grass. But hey I get a chuckle when i do something crazy thats all that matters to me. Im not out to be pro just fun. If i get a few people to throw with ill be a bit more serious. But know im haveing a riot

Ive been doing so well on my local short course (its 9) with shortish under 300 foot holes that i braved up and went back to the monster of a course i started on. I had thrown really well over the weekend finishing 2 under both times on the small course. Went out this morning and man i was knocked down a peg by the 900+ foot holes. Being a super noob (still under a month of play) i have not got down any kind of distance. Triple bogesy were very normal today...lol. My cobra that i really enjoy looks so good in flight when im only throwing on a avg of 250 ish holes. I need to find someone local who can help with my technique on drives. I know for the little time ive been playing i shouldnt be trying to chuck it 400 feet but low 2's would be nice...lol

im sure we have all felt like that before... kaposia in MN did that to me my first time playing it aswell, it DOES humble you very quickly..especially if you lose a bunch of discs :wall:

I think you have a good start. I would definitely keep the Cobra. Before too long you'll want and need to buy something faster but I think your choice of a cyclone is a nice small step up. I have always had a Cobra in my bag so hang on to that and maybe buy a few more like it so you have back ups.
If you stay with the sport you'll be really happy about those back ups a few years from now.

Good luck!

I do have a couple drivers i rushed out a bought right away..but there a bit advanced for me. I have a predator z, avenger elite z, a surge efx in esp plastic. So should i trade/sell these off?

Nah, IMO hold onto them you'll get there:)

If your strapped for cash and can't buy others do as you wish.