• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, the Ascent sucks. Now that I have your attention, lets talk about it... It's not that its overall a bad disc, but in its category why the hell would anyone pick it against molds like the Teebird, PD, Rival, Stag, whatever...? It gets out performed by pretty much all the competition.

Is there any chance of revisiting it and making it more like the Lace of fairway drivers? The Trak is cool, I love that thing to death but its a little too on the understable side for regular precision placement fairway shots. What specifically bugs me about it is that it doesn't glide well at all, for the same effort those "other" discs in its category out distance it by a significant margin, and it has a kind of annoyingly large angle on the rim surface where your finger pads would hold it (i.e. the latitude/innova + rim).

Maybe I'm crazy but I'd wager there are a good number of other people out there that think the Ascent is one of the less than stellar molds in the Vibram line up. Personally, I see no reason to carry it...

I believe that Steve agrees with this sentiment, as stated earlier in the thread...

The Ascent is our least consistent disc. There is something funky about that mold. I look forward to tackling that issue someday.

I believe that Steve agrees with this sentiment, as stated earlier in the thread...

I don't throw my Ascents that often either but that's because I have Firebirds. One of my Star Firebirds is way beat in too so it flies like a Teebird. Once Vibram comes out with an MOAscent = problem solved. We all just have to be patient for it! Throw your Teebirds or whatever until Vibram beats them! And they will. Overstable Vibrams are coming soon!!

With all manufactures there are some downfalls but their understanding and addressing publicly those issues are where they can make up for them-- Vibram has done this already, like someone stated and as any other good DG company does. Not every disc on the market is perfect hell look at the groove seems to have haters all day on here but you will find them all over the courses and store shelves... Some people like spicy food some like sweet-- doesn't mean either are BAD' but sure some flavors are better than others :)

Keep up the good work Vibram and look forward to the future development of the mold in-debate.

With all manufactures there are some downfalls but their understanding and addressing publicly those issues are where they can make up for them-- Vibram has done this already, like someone stated and as any other good DG company does. Not every disc on the market is perfect hell look at the groove seems to have haters all day on here but you will find them all over the courses and store shelves... Some people like spicy food some like sweet-- doesn't mean either are BAD' but sure some flavors are better than others :)

Keep up the good work Vibram and look forward to the future development of the mold in-debate.

Really great post! ThrowVibram!!

Really great post! ThrowVibram!!

Thanks :hfive: I really think their discs are special. I'm a MVP and Vibram fan boy for sure but have thrown soooooooo many molds and companies it comes with GOOD reason. Reallllllly want an OS lace, lost my FR and found out these were in the works so probably just wait'

Would love to see a side view/profile picture though, is that out yet?!

Thanks :hfive: I really think their discs are special. I'm a MVP and Vibram fan boy for sure but have thrown soooooooo many molds and companies it comes with GOOD reason. Reallllllly want an OS lace, lost my FR and found out these were in the works so probably just wait'

Would love to see a side view/profile picture though, is that out yet?!

I think they are special too! I have thrown Innova, Discraft, Latitude, DGA, and others! None of those brands are like Vibram. They just aren't. I have heard MVP is a great company as well but I'm just stuck on Vibram.

I'm REALLY pumped for the OSLace too! I bet it will be like a Force or XCaliber = legendary. I don't think they will release a profile for awhile yet:/

How about a name though?? I'm a big names guy haha. How bout it Steve?!

FIRMMMMMMM

Firm X-Link Laces come out today. Hopefully community discs will get them out soon, got a 171 in the preorder and can't wait to he ships it, I haven't thrown anything vibram in the firm except my summit but I am definitely excited for this. Anyone else picking one up today?

Firm X-Link Laces come out today. Hopefully community discs will get them out soon, got a 171 in the preorder and can't wait to he ships it, I haven't thrown anything vibram in the firm except my summit but I am definitely excited for this. Anyone else picking one up today?

Ugh I'm jealous! I'm away at college so I can't hit GottaGoGottaThrow for some Firm Laces! I never order online anymore because I am very picky with my discs haha

Hope yours comes soon though!

Originally posted by Jeronimo ...
Steve, the Ascent sucks. Now that I have your attention, lets talk about it... It's not that its overall a bad disc, but in its category why the hell would anyone pick it against molds like the Teebird, PD, Rival, Stag, whatever...? It gets out performed by pretty much all the competition.

Is there any chance of revisiting it and making it more like the Lace of fairway drivers? The Trak is cool, I love that thing to death but its a little too on the understable side for regular precision placement fairway shots. What specifically bugs me about it is that it doesn't glide well at all, for the same effort those "other" discs in its category out distance it by a significant margin, and it has a kind of annoyingly large angle on the rim surface where your finger pads would hold it (i.e. the latitude/innova + rim).

Maybe I'm crazy but I'd wager there are a good number of other people out there that think the Ascent is one of the less than stellar molds in the Vibram line up. Personally, I see no reason to carry it...

Originally Posted by StevenDodge
The Ascent is our least consistent disc. There is something funky about that mold. I look forward to tackling that issue someday.

Disco. Feedback makes us stronger. As our first fairway driver, the Ascent was asked to do quite a bit and, relatively speaking, it did well for a while. We now know much more and how much rubber can do flight-wise (see the Lace!). I do wish that we had an unlimited amount of time to do stuff. I'll say this much: I love my Trak.

So get this, I my VP actually skipped a good 15ft through the air and into the water at The Memorial this week. I'm still kind of in awe of it, and that was on Wednesday...

Never saw that before, thanks!

Disco. Feedback makes us stronger. As our first fairway driver, the Ascent was asked to do quite a bit and, relatively speaking, it did well for a while. We now know much more and how much rubber can do flight-wise (see the Lace!). I do wish that we had an unlimited amount of time to do stuff. I'll say this much: I love my Trak.
That's a mighty fine attitude to have right there. Not my intention to offend either, just a blunt way of getting it out in the air. I like Vibram discs as much as the next fanboy but I do expect performance. The Ascent... just doesn't perform. I'll second the love for the Trak though. I recommend that disc a lot. Thanks for the feedback Steve! Find some time man! :D

Hey !
Dont start messing with the Ascent, Steve, it's just fine.
Yes it beats in faster than the other molds, but thats just because people tend to throw it full speed into trees more.
I hate Teebirds, I've always hated Teebirds, its just not a comfortable mold for me, and the Ascent has filled that spot in my bag since it came out.
You just leave it be and learn to love the money I throw at you for a new one every 6 months.

Kinda wanted to ask you about the state of the state.
Here we are, five years now since Vibram started selling discs, are you happy with where Vibram is in terms of disc golf ?

Is the business where you though it would be, or are you just still giddy they give you a paycheck ?

Any thoughts ?

Hey !
Dont start messing with the Ascent, Steve, it's just fine.

I like it too. In heavy winds, you need discs that will keep their line and not get "blown away". A lot of glide isn't necessarily a good thing all the time.

Yes the disc does get beat in, but it took me about two dozen rounds before I noticed the change. I like the Ascent and will live with it "as is".

I like my ascents. I had one that got quite broken in and flippy but while trying the microwave treatment on other discs, I decided to give it a run and it got most of its stability back.

I've been meaning to throw mine a little more because lately all I've been throwing is my Lace and my MVP Volt. The Trak used to be my go to disc since it was a longer Ibex for me.

Do many of the Vibram fans here use the VP as their in-the-circle putter? I bought one to use for approaches that I could rely on, but I putted a few on the practice basket tonight, and wow. I hit two 30-footers in a row, cold. Way straighter than I expected. Just wondering if I am crazy thinking about using it inside the circle.

Do many of the Vibram fans here use the VP as their in-the-circle putter? I bought one to use for approaches that I could rely on, but I putted a few on the practice basket tonight, and wow. I hit two 30-footers in a row, cold. Way straighter than I expected. Just wondering if I am crazy thinking about using it inside the circle.

I used to putt with VP's. I liekd the fact they would fall near the basket every time until I realized they were falling near the basket and not in the basket. Then I picked up a Summit and started putting like a pro. I have a habit of beating pros in putting contests now thanks to my Summits. That being said I still love my VP and will switch to it in the wind sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts