• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a 160 g Lace for my dad today. Is it bad that I am kinda hoping he doesn't like it so I can keep it? :D

Ha, yeah. I had a friend that wanted to try a Lace but after realizing that I threw mine on jsut about every hole he went out and bought one for himself. He diecided he didn't like it that much and it now has a permanent place in my bag.

Do many of the Vibram fans here use the VP as their in-the-circle putter? I bought one to use for approaches that I could rely on, but I putted a few on the practice basket tonight, and wow. I hit two 30-footers in a row, cold. Way straighter than I expected. Just wondering if I am crazy thinking about using it inside the circle.

I'm going to use one in my birdie bash but use the ridge as a main putter otherwise. I could use the vp, but prefer the slightly more shallow feel of the ridge. Right now I've got a main putting ridge, one for off the tee, a summit for turnover approaches and jump putts, and a vp for upshots, forehands and any short utility shots.

Do many of the Vibram fans here use the VP as their in-the-circle putter? I bought one to use for approaches that I could rely on, but I putted a few on the practice basket tonight, and wow. I hit two 30-footers in a row, cold. Way straighter than I expected. Just wondering if I am crazy thinking about using it inside the circle.

I do. It started late last fall when the winds really kicked up. They worked great for me in those situations, so I kept using them on the next calm day I got. I fell in love and have putted with them since. They are the definition of predictable in any situation.

On top of that, VPs are, in my opinion, the best approach discs in the game. Slow, overstable, and with minimal glide or skip (especially in Xlink soft), they're my definition of the perfect up shot disc. And it's pretty good to throw off the tee as well if your hand is big enough, it's a deep putter even with the flat top. Personally, I love throwing them backhand and forehand off the tee.

The VP is easily my favorite and most thrown disc mold in my bag. I carry three (2 173g VP Firms and a 170g Soft) and I throw them for basically every shot 250' and in, all putting included.

Kinda wanted to ask you about the state of the state.
Here we are, five years now since Vibram started selling discs, are you happy with where Vibram is in terms of disc golf ?

Is the business where you though it would be, or are you just still giddy they give you a paycheck ?

Any thoughts ?

We have more than doubled growth every year so far and this year we are on pace to triple our growth. I think the Lace has brought a whole new crop of players to the rubber reality. :thmbup:

The plan has always been to grow slow and be able to maintain the growth. Release two or three discs each year. When the discs are dialed in, start investigating other opportunities. We are still concentrating on disc development.

When I have time to step back and recognize where I am sitting, yes, I am flat out giddy. When I was serving on the PDGA Board, working with NEFA, starting Marshall St., Prime Discs and Maple Hill, and building the Vibram Open and Players Cup, I was just one guy trying to make a difference in my section of the disc golf world. I'm now able to dream up and cause an event like the Vibram Birdie Bash to exist and take hold. Thousands of people will come out and enjoy and fun and potentially competitive day of discing. Combine that with getting to help develop discs, market the sport, plan the VO and PC and I've got myself in a great position to help push the sport forward. I am truly lucky.

Thanks for asking, I did not plan to type a book, but there it is.

Note: We will not be "messing with" the Ascent. I don't believe in "tweaking" a mold and keeping the name. If anything, as this is at least a year+ away, we would look to develop another disc with stable/overstable fairway tendencies. But we've got other stuff to do first (see my list of things to do a dozen pages back or so).

Good to know about the Ascent. I have two that fly similar but not alike and not in a bad way. Is it a problem with the mold or a problem with production that didn't spread to the Trak?

Well played a round today with a kc roc, medium ridge and vp. The ridge is quite a disc. Handles wind well and it's a point and shoot approach disc. The vp was very predictable but not sure I liked the big bead. I think the ridge is a keeper. We did throw a few shots with a summit. Reminds me a lot of a pure. Nice anny or dead straight approaches. Might trade a vp for a trak or ibex/obex.

. . . We did throw a few shots with a summit. Reminds me a lot of a pure. Nice anny or dead straight approaches. . .
Interested! One of the things I like about the Pure is that it is relatively unaffected by headwinds. Did you get a chance to throw the Summit into a headwind, and if so, how did it do?

We have more than doubled growth every year so far and this year we are on pace to triple our growth. I think the Lace has brought a whole new crop of players to the rubber reality. :thmbup:

The plan has always been to grow slow and be able to maintain the growth. Release two or three discs each year. When the discs are dialed in, start investigating other opportunities. We are still concentrating on disc development.

When I have time to step back and recognize where I am sitting, yes, I am flat out giddy. When I was serving on the PDGA Board, working with NEFA, starting Marshall St., Prime Discs and Maple Hill, and building the Vibram Open and Players Cup, I was just one guy trying to make a difference in my section of the disc golf world. I'm now able to dream up and cause an event like the Vibram Birdie Bash to exist and take hold. Thousands of people will come out and enjoy and fun and potentially competitive day of discing. Combine that with getting to help develop discs, market the sport, plan the VO and PC and I've got myself in a great position to help push the sport forward. I am truly lucky.

Note: We will not be "messing with" the Ascent. I don't believe in "tweaking" a mold and keeping the name. If anything, as this is at least a year+ away, we would look to develop another disc with stable/overstable fairway tendencies. But we've got other stuff to do first (see my list of things to do a dozen pages back or so).

Really cool post Steve! To be honest, I am not surprised at all that Vibram Disc Golf is growing as much as it is. The amount of effort you put into bringing the best possible product to your customer is what sets you apart.

It's nice to hear this summary from someone in your position, Steven.

For whatever one person who is relatively new to the sport's perspective is worth, I think you folks at Vibram of doing a great job of getting Vibram's name out: it's effective without being aggressive. I first considered throwing Vibram when you yourself suggested the Obex in a thread I had started on here: I didn't go in that direction at the time, but that put Vibram in general and the Obex in particular on my radar. Flash forward a few months later and the Vibram Birdie Bash comes up (which I again learned about from this site). It seems like a fun, relatively laid back format, which has encouraged me to make the leap and play in my first tournament. Now I'll get the opportunity to follow up on your Obex suggestion, and spend two whole rounds with it as my principle disc. I imagine I'll have a good idea of whether it's the kind of disc I want (and am still searching for) by the end of the tournament, so kudos for providing an opportunity and incentive for me to give your discs a good, thorough test run. Regardless of whether or not I end up bagging the Obex, I'll be spending a whole day throwing nothing but Vibram.

I had a good chat with the local disc proprietor and TD of our Birdie Bash on Monday talking Vibram, and he was saying how he's excited to give locals a chance and the motivation to try out the company. While we were chatting, a bunch of other people passed through and had the chance to fondle Vibram discs, many for the first time. I also saw someone throwing Vibram out on the local course for the first time ever. So, the word is getting out on the ground level. All this attention has piqued my interest, and I'm now committed to trying a few Vibram discs out this coming season and hopefully find a place for one in my bag. I like what you folks are doing, and I like and respect how you're doing it. So good on you, sir.

I'm not a Vibram fanboy; I've never even thrown one of your discs yet! I just wanted to get my opinion out there. Cheers!

I would say it's fresh aviar-ish into the wind. lol I threw it hyzer it popped up and tracked right but has a lot more glide than the ridge or vp. They are meant to be thrown. The summit is not a headwind throwing putter but it fared pretty well. We basically threw it for 150ft and shorter approaches and it is nice. the ridge is definitely more predictable.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

I've noticed a headwind slightly increases the L to R flight of the Summit, when thrown flat. The Ridge is still a straight flyer with a bit more fade at the end. I use both for approaches and putting depending on the conditions and line I need to take. Still need to get my hands on a heavier Ridge to feel fully comfortable using it as a close range putter in the wind though. I use the Summit on windy days since it's heavier and extremely predictable.

Last edited:

Was talking with a friend who said he brought in a bunch of his Vibram discs into a local REI and everyone was amazed by them. All of this ending in you guys picking up a few REIs to sell them. Seems awfully awesome of him to do something like that for you guys.

I used the VP out to 60' or so then I switch to a summit. I thought I would like the ridge more since I used wizards before, but the VP just feels good and does what I want it to. I am using a medium for now, but may switch to firm for the summer.

Was talking with a friend who said he brought in a bunch of his Vibram discs into a local REI and everyone was amazed by them. All of this ending in you guys picking up a few REIs to sell them. Seems awfully awesome of him to do something like that for you guys.

I am honestly surprised REI hasn't hopped on this bandwagon sooner. Here in Colroado we have a chain called JAX that is now a Pinnacle retailer. It is pretty cool to see Vibram in a big store. All of that to say, I still buy most of my Vibram stuff from the local DG shop or the locally sponsored Vibram Pro.

I've noticed a headwind slightly increases the L to R flight of the Summit, when thrown flat. . . . I use the Summit on windy days since it's heavier and extremely predictable.
Cool, thanks. Sounds like Summit is a little less stable than a Zero Pure, but still predictable enough to use in the wind. Hmm, I have some thinking to do.

Trying to. My forehand is a bit oat-y so I've been using the VP more than the ridge but I'm slowly starting to get some touch with the short flicks.

Anyone else out there using their Ridge for sidearm/forehand shots?

Have a few times but didn't find it anything special-- worked great for those out of trouble touch shots not needing a lot of snap and just floats on whatever line you put it on... No driving attempts yet though, I imagine it will be like the VP when you crank in it but more turn? I never seem to FH drive putters off the tee might need to mess with this more'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts