• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Voodoo

jnecessary

Double Eagle Member
Heard about it on iowadg.com

Smaller bead Wizard? Anyone heard of this?

jnecessary said:
Heard about it on iowadg.com

Smaller bead Wizard? Anyone heard of this?
It has been talked about for the past year. Originally it was going to be a Thumbtrack type putter, never heard if it was supposed to be an overstable Rhyno-type discs or an understable disc. A while back I heard Gateway wanted the Magic sales to cool off before bringing out another putter, so the Voodoo idea was shelved for awhile. A couple weeks ago I heard the Voodoo was supposed to be ready to go by the next Ozark Mountain event, and it is now a small-bead Wizard. I guess a bunch got passed out at our Club Championship last weekend, but I've been busy so I have not talked to anybody who was there. Anyway, faster Wizard was the last thing I heard, and I think I read that on the GDS site.

I had also heard that it would have 2 versions... 1 with a Thumbtrac and 1 with a Groove Top- use whichever you like more. I am pretty sure I heard this from DMac on the PDGA board.

Thanks! I had not heard of it. I throw Wizards a lot off of the tee so I guess that might be a good thing. Anything longer than a wizard is really getting into Roc territory, even with the regular wizard sometimes it is a toss-up now.

I throw putters a lot, so I asked Dave about the Vodoo. For putting, it's got similar overstability to a wizard. For driving, it's got the same high speed stability without the low speed stabliity of a wizard, which is kind of interesting. According to Dave, glide and speed are somewhere between a Wizard and a Roc.

marmoset said:
I had also heard that it would have 2 versions... 1 with a Thumbtrac and 1 with a Groove Top- use whichever you like more. I am pretty sure I heard this from DMac on the PDGA board.
Yeah, I've been trying to find out what, if any, kind of grip top the protos that went out last weekend had. So far I'm on permanent ignore. Go figure.

The info I read on the GDS site didn't say a thing about thumbtrack, groove top or anything special about the top. All it said is the nose is a complete radius with the top and wing portion being identical and a small bead. So at this point I don't know if the thumbtrack idea was scrapped, or if it still has that feature and it just was not in the information they put out about the protos. So long as my friends keep ignoring me, I may never know. Maybe that is a good thing. So far everyone that has returned a call or email to me this week has chewed my ass about some imagined way I've wronged them. :roll:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dave decided to put no thumbtrac or groove top on it. It almost seems like he has big dreams, talks about them, and then things change; then we wonder what happened to the thing he was talking about.

I don't see why he isn't doing the DT to the sabre, blaze and hybrid. The magic is still selling hott. It was out selling the wizard the last I heard, so why not go a different route for the time being? I think a sabre and blazt DT would be sweet discs

Somebody finally stopped ignoring me...the Voodoo that were handed out at the River City Flyers Club Championship last weekend in St. Louis had no Thumbtrack or Groove Top of any kind.

I've been wondering what happened to the DT Sabre, Hybrid, etc. Those were supposed to be out about this time last year, but never showed up. I definitely was going to try the DT Sabre and DT Hybrid. I'm not sure what happened to them.

DGDAVE said:
I don't see why he isn't doing the DT to the sabre, blaze and hybrid. The magic is still selling hott. It was out selling the wizard the last I heard, so why not go a different route for the time being? I think a sabre and blazt DT would be sweet discs

I agree. Those three discs could be awsome with dimples.The speed demon dt was the first disc that I could really compare dimple vs. non dimpled and the the dimpled version was faster and had more glide.
It seems the Gateway putter lineup is pretty complete with the Wizard, Warlock, and Magic for the time being. I'm sure people will buy the Voodoo but it might just be cutting into the sales of the other Gateway putters.

Working Stiff said:
I've been wondering what happened to the DT Sabre, Hybrid, etc. Those were supposed to be out about this time last year, but never showed up. I definitely was going to try the DT Sabre and DT Hybrid. I'm not sure what happened to them.

I bet Dave reasoned that putters were more profitable since the Wizard was the most bought disc in the entire Gateway lineup. So spending a year developing new putters for a variety of skill levels would stand to be the most successful.

From what I'm hearing, I'm sure the Voodoo will sell. I think the Warlock will be the red-headed step child of their putter lineup. IMO the Wizard and Warlock are super-close in flight out of the box, they just beat in at different rates. The main selling point of the Warlock is the comfort of the beadless design. Now the Voodoo will be right there with the similar flight out of the box, will have the comfort of the small bead and will be faster. At that point, I see no reason to be throwing a Warlock.

I'd be curious to see what you guys think. A buddy of mine threw a brand new max weight Voodoo and it was a bit flippy. Nothing like the typical Wizard.

Steady 26542 said:
I'd be curious to see what you guys think. A buddy of mine threw a brand new max weight Voodoo and it was a bit flippy. Nothing like the typical Wizard.

If you're talking about TJ...he doesn't count. Everything is flippy to him :wink:

BLURR said:
Steady 26542 said:

If you're talking about TJ...he doesn't count. Everything is flippy to him :wink:
Nope, not TJ. :lol:

I posted my review on the pdga site, so I thought I would post it here too.

The top is very similar to a magic. If you hold them next to each other, the tops from the parting line up are almost exact. The Voodoo might have a more pronounced downward angle the closer you get to the outer edge. The bottom is more like a more rounded wing of a wizard. The bead is about the same as that of a Challenger though. So far...I would say it has very good glide. It has pretty good stability too. A very straight disc for driving. If I were to rank the stability of the Gateway putters, I would say they compare like this.

Wizard +1
Warlock +.5
Voodoo 0
Magic -.5

I would say that the Voodoo has all of them in the speed and glide department. I was throwing all four molds today out on the practice field and the Voodoo's had about an extra 10 yards of carry out of them. The Warlock/Wizard/Magic were all within the same 20 foot circle at about 250 feet. If I were playing a short technical course, the Voodoo would be a great weapon to have in your arsenal. As for putting with it, I don't know if it will replace my original proto wizard. But...I'm still in the early testing phase

Latest posts