• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WACO Charity Open presented by Prodigy

Agreed, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I am glad Kristin made that putt on 18 after so many uncharacteristic misses down the stretch.
it did feel like Kristin "gave up" and the misses started to come. ..but then she saw a chance and her focus was back.

it did feel like Kristin "gave up" and the misses started to come. ..but then she saw a chance and her focus was back.

Yes, she indicated in her post-round interview that she thought she was out of it with several holes to go and was not checking scores. Only after checking scores before her final putt did she realize that she had a chance for the win.

Yes, I agree, she even hinted to that in the post round interview. She didn't realize she was that close until the final hole. Until that point she figured she had given up too many strokes to be in contention for the win.

I've played Brazos East. What it does do is be very favorable for players with equal balance BH/FH driving AND the ability to throw the flip up forehand on tight spaces, together with the ability to get hot putting, and comfort with the straddle with all those wooded putts that will invariably happen in the wooded section. Jerm, Kona, all have that. Not that a BH or FH dominant player can't win it, they just have to be on point the whole time.

Agree with a lot of that. IIRC, I know it's been a little while but it was only two years ago that Kona won by something like double digits.

Likely, because she is still relatively new and has skills she hasn't yet brought to the forefront of her game. All three OBs at the end can be attributed to that. On 16 & 18, her background in Ultimate has caused her to be almost exclusively relying on hyzer flip for distance. The good old hyzer flip is fantastic when it isn't windy, but when it is, the good old hyzer flip can add some unpredictability because of a) its tendency to over-glide (like it did on 18's tee throw), and b) its being a natural low-to-high release causes it to sometimes become HIGHzer flip in flight (like it did on 16's tee throw). People sometimes give certain golfers grief with the force-over overstable, but when Ella adds that to her backhand distance game, she'll be tougher. With her distance, I was surprised she didn't go pure hyzer backhand across the water on 18 with the tailwind today. Or maybe she intended to. Both places where spots where having an overstable forceover would have been a much safer throw.

The Forehand that went OB on the approach on 17 looked like she was so fearful of going over the water and it not coming back, that she threw hyzer. Ironically for the sidearm she only throws forehands are only forceover overstables or pure hyzers; she doesn't really throw the true flat/straight forehand that was called for there, like Kristin does. And she clearly wasn't going to throw a forceover at the water, so she went to the only thing she had left, the hyzer. Hyzer would have been OK well out over the water, but I think the wind made her double think it. Sure it was tough being on the ground but past the OB line, but the tree kick was the only thing keeping her from going into the woods anyway. It would have been a break to be inbounds the way she threw.

Remember she's only what, 3 years in, to DG? As she adds those to her game, and at her young age, she is going to get better & tougher to beat.

Of course Ella should have. That's what she had practiced all week and had made it into the circle with a similar wind on Friday. You should always go with what you personally do best. Similarly, Kristin, who has enough backhand power to make it to the circle in the tailwind could have gone for it too -- especially considering that she was first and down a stroke going in. But that wasn't Kristin's plan either. If Ella lays up left like everyone else it's really advantage Kristin because the approach over the waht is a touchy shot that the veteran has a big edge on her int throwing. Plus she hadn't really practiced that.

My opinion is you have to play to the situation. Given that Ella had already given up strokes 2 holes prior going out of bounds on a drive that had no business even being near of bounds, my thought would be to go for a higher percentage shot. If anything, I was surprised Kristin didn't go for it. It seems either: 1) her arm wasn't feeling up to it, or 2) She was daring Ella to go for it.

Of course hind sight is 20/20 and typically I agree with you that it is best to play to your strengths. Live by the sword, die by the sword I guess.

Looking at the current scoring in MPO, it looks like many in the bottom of the field are saying, "F'it, I'm going for it on 18" and racking up the OBs.

With 3 holes to go Ella should not be able to loose this. . .but the same as with Hokom vs Paige a few years back. . those last holes must mess with your mind.
Just play them for par and they dont look THAT hard. . sure the birdy is hard, but ehen you don NEED the birdy why go for it?
But that 2nd throw on 17 was really bad, and so was the drive on 16. . .Ella has a "have never won wall" to break

Not a great week for Discrafts star FPO team. . .all those big names and $ on that team. . and the only player to break into top 10 was Paige S, a player not even on Discrafts top team!

Fun to see a few new names in the top 10. . but alot of BIG names far down the leaderboard

Yes, she indicated in her post-round interview that she thought she was out of it with several holes to go and was not checking scores. Only after checking scores before her final putt did she realize that she had a chance for the win.

Sounds fairly lackadaisical for someone who traveled halfway around the world to play disc golf.

When Castro leaned that shot up against the OB signage, he move the lay into the green for his shot. What's that rule?

"806.02 Out-of-Bounds
E. If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds and within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to a new lie at any point on a one meter line that extends perpendicularly from that point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the thrown disc. Alternatively, when the thrown disc is within one meter of a corner, the lie may be relocated on a one meter line that extends from that corner through the thrown disc."

Second, this course is short and technical, which gives shorter arms the chance to win unlike most courses on tour. Other wooded courses like Idlewild and NW Black/Gold/Ultraviolent are significantly longer, but not too long for most top pros. It's simply that these lengths stretch so many pros, leading to less accurate shots, so its the people who can throw long and accurately who rise to the top. Almost all of the guys that play more than 4 Pro Tour events can throw 450 consistently. However, not all of them can throw 450 consistently and accurately.

I think you just explained my point better than I did :D. On a technical course where distance isn't really an issue, it allows the balance of skills to come in to play much more so.

Isn't that what we spend a lot of time talking about here? How we like technical/wooded type courses? Big hyzer bomb courses or even technical but long courses where distance plays a more significant factor narrows the field of potential winners significantly.

I must say I enjoyed watching the FPO this weekend. Really impressive players and a great finish with Bogey-Bogey-Bogey losing by 1 to Birdie-Birdie-Birdie. Congrats to Kristin Tattar! #InstantClassic

Looking fwd to watching FPO final rd post pro.

Kristen remind me of Paul in many ways, not really the best distance, not the best FH or BH, not the best putter. . .but good enough in all parts of the game, and no real week spots.

And like Paul she has the nerves it takes to play at her best when she needs it the most.

I must say I enjoyed watching the FPO this weekend. Really impressive players and a great finish with Bogey-Bogey-Bogey losing by 1 to Birdie-Birdie-Birdie. Congrats to Kristin Tattar! #InstantClassic

Kirsten did not go Birdy-Birdy-Birdy but close ;)

But that must have been her wierdest finnish of all time. .even more so than the strange one last year.

She missed her C1x putt on 12,13,14,15 and 17. . and still won?!? being far behind with a few holes to go.

Latest posts