• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WACO Charity Open presented by Prodigy

Sounds fairly lackadaisical for someone who traveled halfway around the world to play disc golf.

I think she was truly embodying the "play against yourself" motto. She has more than proven that when she is clicking no one can beat her and she knew she wasn't play KT golf for a good portion of the final stretch.

No matter what, it was a pretty epic finish. Just glad that DGN didn't get spotty AF like it did for the men's final hole.

Klein played great, hit a ton of putts and got the bit of luck he needed on 15 when that shank managed to squeak back in bounds.

feels like its not that often the winner does not come from the lead card. . but my memory is short :)

Really impressive win for Kyle. So many great players within a stroke down to the last few holes, and Kyle didn't fumble. Hammes missed many putts that he's very used to canning. Matty started spraying his drives. Paul had trouble staying on fairways in the woods. Calvin and Cole missed just a couple of putts.

Klein didn't miss when they did.

Nate and Terry were talking about the future of Waco--incorporating a ball golf course in to the event. I suppose that could be okay, but I don't know how much better they can make the event when you have a cluster of players battling for the win until the last half of the final round and then it there were still a handful until the last 2 holes.

And this is how the Waco seems to play out pretty much every year.

Nate and Terry were talking about the future of Waco--incorporating a ball golf course in to the event. I suppose that could be okay, but I don't know how much better they can make the event when you have a cluster of players battling for the win until the last half of the final round and then it there were still a handful until the last 2 holes.

And this is how the Waco seems to play out pretty much every year.

It's all about the spectators. DGPT would like to be out of public parks entirely eventually.

I didn't watch any of the live coverage yesterday. Did DGN do a good job kicking over to chase card footage since there were a bunch of people within striking distance?

A winner from the chase card isn't typical, but hopefully they were able to show some of Klein's footage since he was the winner.

I didn't watch any of the live coverage yesterday. Did DGN do a good job kicking over to chase card footage since there were a bunch of people within striking distance?

A winner from the chase card isn't typical, but hopefully they were able to show some of Klein's footage since he was the winner.

you saw the vast majority of his round.

Sounds fairly lackadaisical for someone who traveled halfway around the world to play disc golf.

Or maybe she was weighing the risk of playing aggressive when she thought she was out of it, versus playing to secure 2nd (and the prize money/bonuses that come with it).

You know, since she traveled halfway around the world, she is most likely concerned about getting a decent financial return on the investment.

"806.02 Out-of-Bounds
E. If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds and within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to a new lie at any point on a one meter line that extends perpendicularly from that point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the thrown disc. Alternatively, when the thrown disc is within one meter of a corner, the lie may be relocated on a one meter line that extends from that corner through the thrown disc."

Coincidentally, the same rule that Gannon misplayed on Hole 14 in Round 1.

It's all about the spectators. DGPT would like to be out of public parks entirely eventually.

To make "filming" easier or to allow for more spectators? Or for some other reason?

There didn't appear to be a ton of people at Waco.

To make "filming" easier or to allow for more spectators? Or for some other reason?

I think there were quite a few, but they were likely pretty spread out since the top 3 cards were all quite in the event, with big names on each card. From a name recognition point of view, the chase card was very solid. One woods hole I saw had about 100 people lined up behind the lines, and that was just lead card.

I am fine if the tour wants to get away from public parks in general, but NOT if it means nothing but golf courses. Boring. And there are a few you have to keep somehow--Idlewild and Toboggan come to mind. Seeing people like Sexton and Cale in the mix into the final day was very refreshing. Koling may have been too if not for his round 1 blowup on the final couple holes. Orum played great the entire tourney too until the last several holes. That pressure thing is real...

The reason they want out of public parks is sort of "all of the above." Privately owned venues allow much more control over all aspects of an event.

It's buried somewhere in Twitter as part of a 15 point post.

EDIT: Found it … https://twitter.com/Fish58320/status/1155819172888231937?lang=en

I thought it so good, I cut and pasted it and stored it away.

Putting from Andrew Fish

1. Every player struggles with this at some point. If someone tells you they always have a feel for their putt, tell them they're lying. Your struggle is universal; your solution, regrettably, is personal.

2. It's really important that your practice routine and your tournament routine are the same. Pacing, wind/green reads, holding other things, marking your lie, etc.

3. I can super-assure you that a common mental error is allowing the stakes of a putt to creep in unbidden. Which is why the tournament routine emulating practice is critical--it's comfort to fall back into. Go watch Hoosiers if that helps you.

4. Be rational about what your capabilities are. I'm not Paige or Paul or Ricky so I don't run everything I look at. I also make a point not to think about percentages or misses during a round.

5. To be great at anything, you need to both be brutally honest, and selectively misleading. When it's performance time, you must have it both ways: remember the putts you made and how good you are AND ignore that you've ever missed.

6. Never be sure that you've ruled out mechanical problems. I've seen sooooo many "rate my form" videos for driving, and like, 3 lifetime for putting. Film yourself, compare to elite putters, and get rid of every extraneous movement.

7. During the round is a bad time for macro-adjustments. Hitting cage then band means you're spraying big. Eliminating extraneous motion reduces potential for error, and makes the micro-adjustments (e.g. loading plant leg better, springy wrist, whatever your cues are) doable.

8. Your expectations and practice volume & quality must be correlated. If you want to get better at putting, you have to putt a LOT. You have to be able to recognize "uphill, crosswind, low ceiling" and just DO it without analyzing further.

9. A big theme in all of this advice: thinking is the enemy. Before and after practice sessions and tournaments is the time to think. If you're constantly thinking and tinkering during tournaments you'll drive yourself crazy. Play and practice enough that throwing is natural.

10. Doubt is even worse. When you're walking up to a shot or putt of any distance and don't think you're gonna make it, chances are that you're right. Step off and pep talk.

11. This happens more often than any of us want to admit. So get a buddy to really dig in once or twice a round. Remind you about the downslope right as you're lining up. Casually ask if that branch is in your line. Find ways to apply pressure, so that you can LEARN to respond.

12. Never be fully satisfied. Take joy in your perfect makes. Be annoyed and micro-adjust when you barely tuck in a 12-footer left side. Know that you're gonna doink a 25-footer occasionally (but don't get caught wondering if this is the one).

13. Your standard of comparison is you. Ignore what your competitors or pros are doing. They don't matter. Are you better at putting than you were at this time last year? Why or why not, and what are you doing to improve?

14. Finally, relax. Your best tense throw has less potential than your worst relaxed one.

Last edited: