• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet concrete tee pads... cheating?

Johnny Walker Red said:
Quite possible the rudest thing you can do

So maybe I should only do it if I'm the last person to tee off? Or maybe accidentally spill my water bottle on the most important holes?

I guess on rainy days I'll make sure to keep the other guys from brushing any excess water off the pad. That'll even things out!

ATL Scott said:
Johnny Walker Red said:
Quite possible the rudest thing you can do

So maybe I should only do it if I'm the last person to tee off? Or maybe accidentally spill my water bottle on the most important holes?

I guess on rainy days I'll make sure to keep the other guys from brushing any excess water off the pad. That'll even things out!
Nice diversionary tactic. Change your name to work city. I happen to like arguing with fools, It makes me feel better about wet pads. Some more maternal than others.

JHern said:
I've often wanted to swap out the sole of my shoes with a towel-like material for better traction on concrete in the rain.
You want fly fishing boots with felt soles.
timthumb.php

They offer the sole by itself too, so I guess you could attach it to other shoes.

ATL Scott said:
Johnny Walker Red said:
Nice diversionary tactic.

Diversionary would be going "hey look over there someone just got an ace" and then pouring water all over the pad. But I wouldn't do that, I follow the rules.

This is pure gold :D I have to try that next time I need a reason to lighten up the mood a little bit :D

Dogma said:
JHern said:
I've often wanted to swap out the sole of my shoes with a towel-like material for better traction on concrete in the rain.
You want fly fishing boots with felt soles.
timthumb.php

They offer the sole by itself too, so I guess you could attach it to other shoes.

Yeah, that's the idea. I tried tying a towel around a shoe, just to see if that could work, but it is a little awkward...maybe I just need to figure out the proper way to do it.

JHern said:
Yeah, that's the idea. I tried tying a towel around a shoe, just to see if that could work, but it is a little awkward...maybe I just need to figure out the proper way to do it.

Duct tape. Lots of duct tape. On the top only of course. Gotta leave exposed towel on the bottom.

ATL Scott said:
Johnny Walker Red said:

Diversionary would be going "hey look over there someone just got an ace" and then pouring water all over the pad. But I wouldn't do that, I follow the rules.
How would that not be following the rules? You are not breaking any rule... just intentionally working the competition. I applaud this behavior. The more people impervious to idiots the better. Breaking the rules isn't an issue. Takes all kinds to stir a pot. Different stokes for different folks.

As to the Avery and Borg teeing off from next to the teepad, this happens sometimes and it wouldn't surprise me if this was at the Memorial as they use rubber mats for a number of the tees. The rubber gets really sticky when it's hot out and can cause too much grip and a wrench of the knee or ankle is quite possible.

Johnny Walker Red said:
ATL Scott said:
Johnny Walker Red said:

How would that not be following the rules? You are not breaking any rule... just intentionally working the competition. I applaud this behavior. The more people impervious to idiots the better. Breaking the rules isn't an issue. Takes all kinds to stir a pot. Different stokes for different folks.

Chuck Kennedy said:
There is a rule that says you must play the course as you find it (803.01).

hmmm...just noticed this thread.

How is it any different as far as the rules are concerned with this guy wetting down the tee versus someone cleaning/sweeping dirt & debris from it. In both situations the course is being altered....so why is one allowed and the other not. Maybe the others in the foursome wanted that extra dirt to be there for traction.

Dcon67 said:
hmmm...just noticed this thread.

How is it any different as far as the rules are concerned with this guy wetting down the tee versus someone cleaning/sweeping dirt & debris from it. In both situations the course is being altered....so why is one allowed and the other not. Maybe the others in the foursome wanted that extra dirt to be there for traction.

Honestly it becomes and injury and safety issue.

Clean, dry and debris free pads provide the best grip. Best grip means less prone to slipping and injuring yourself. I know of at least one master aged guy who dislocated his kneecap up here last winter on a wet pad he slipped on, could've happened on a dry pad too I'm sure but probably not as easily.

If your form requires special conditions like slick ground, a wet teepad, or even a super grippy and dry teepad you need to change somethings in your game. Watch the Pro's, they tee off of nearly every material imaginable, and I'm not talking upshots or approaches, drives from grass, gravel, dirt etc.

Dry and clean from debris is considered the default condition a tee pad should be in before a round starts. You are always allowed to attempt to return the tee to this condition (sweep it) during the round. A wet tee is not necessarily the default condition for a tee unless it's raining before the round starts. So wetting down the tee is sort of a milder version of cutting down a still attached, dangling limb during the round.

I agree about the safety thing...and of course I'd want a clean & dry teepad. I just wasn't sure I was buying Chucks argument about the wetting down of the pad being an alteration of the course when sweeping it clearly is allowed. I couldn't see the difference. However, if we agree that a clean, clear, and dry tee is it's assumed default condition when the round starts...now this argument makes more sense to me. Carry on.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Dry and clean from debris is considered the default condition a tee pad should be in before a round starts. You are always allowed to attempt to return the tee to this condition (sweep it) during the round. A wet tee is not necessarily the default condition for a tee unless it's raining before the round starts. So wetting down the tee is sort of a milder version of cutting down a still attached, dangling limb during the round.

Where in the rulebook is this stated? So, if its raining during the start of a round but the tee is subsequently dry when you get to it, its within the rules to wet the tee?

Read earlier discussion under Obstacles and Relief. Not saying you can wet down a tee pad if it's dry later but it was raining when round started. Just that you might not be able to dry the tee when it's continuously wet at the start of a rainy round.

Is there a rule that regulates tee boxes? I go a to course nearby that is framed by 6 x 6 boards, with bricks layed within. It looks great, and works well when its dry. When it's wet though, it is slick and sometimes dangerous. I was just wondering is there a general directive that concerns this.

Bricks or concrete pavers?

I've got a local course with painted sidewalk, dirt, gravel, paver, small concrete blob... you name it... tee boxes. Not sure there's guidance for it, but I'd like to read the answer to that too.

ATL Scott said:
Johnny Walker Red said:

But you aren't following the rules. You are modifying the course. That's a rule violation.

Edit: On top of that, if you were in my group, I'd give you a courtesy violation warning because you just made the tee pad condition unsafe.