• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet concrete tee pads... cheating?

7ontheline

Double Eagle Member
Someone said it was okay to play from behind the tee pad instead of risking busting your butt on polished wet slick concrete pea gravel. Cheating or no?

depends if casual tees are allowed. If it's a casual round I would allow it.

http://www.pdga.com/faq/rules-questions-answers/unplayable-tees

803.02A:
…If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending back three meters from each end of the front line…(emphasis added)

There is video of Feldberg and Jenkins taking stance just to the right of the pad while in tourney play. Wonder what allowed for it?

There are torunaments where the TD has actually marked a tee line on the ground beside some concrete or rubber tee pads allowing players to choose.

Odd, I like to pour water on every concrete tee before I tee off in a tourney. Helps with my footing. Everyone always complains but there's nothing that says I can't.

You can always modify your shoes for rain, there is no rule against that. I've often wanted to swap out the sole of my shoes with a towel-like material for better traction on concrete in the rain.

ATL Scott said:
Odd, I like to pour water on every concrete tee before I tee off in a tourney. Helps with my footing. Everyone always complains but there's nothing that says I can't.

Seriously? Don't want to be rude, but this post makes you sound like a real prick.

Dbuntu said:
Seriously? Don't want to be rude, but this post makes you sound like a real prick.

Yeah I probably could have worded it better, but why can't I throw off a teepad the way I like it? Who says I have to keep it dry just because everyone else wants it that way? Maybe they are the pricks... :idea:

You have the option to put down a towel for better grip during teeing which doesn't impact other players. You are modifying the pad for other players which is changing the course.

extrapolating from the towel rule my partner and i once carried around a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet during an icy doubles event.

That would be allowed from the tee. You could use it on the fairway only if you threw from your knee.

Chuck Kennedy said:
You have the option to put down a towel for better grip during teeing which doesn't impact other players. You are modifying the pad for other players which is changing the course.

Why don't they just put a towel down if they have to tee off after me? That seems only fair.

They aren't changing the course. You have chosen to change the course that impacts everyone else in your group. Your approach is not in the spirit of the game and is borderline cheating by doing something for a competitive advantage. I carry loppers in my car but have resisted trimming some branches the TD "missed." If you ask the TD for permission to clean the tees before the round by sweeping and wetting each of them down, then that would be okay. But not during the round (the wetting part).

ATL Scott said:
Wow, that's golden. Quite possible the rudest thing you can do to physically mess with someone and mentally very worky kirky. If that's how you choose to win Shooter Mc Gavin.... then Mr Larson is coming for you.

Now astray from the circus sideshow discussion;

Living in an area of the world that tee pads become a physical hazard to play on, most td's in the winter are more than happy to allow it, especially when the tees are not cleaned well. in the name of safety the TD and the PDGA should encourage it. It might actually save a life.