• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
I'm definitely not a big power thrower and I don't have weird off axis issues to deal with. The Envy is not a disc that I would even refer to as overstable and definitely isn't in the Zone/Harp category of discs. It does seem a little fast for a putter but it doesn't have an excessive amount of glide and shot placement and judging distance is easy.

Agree with this completely. Zone/Envy are both on the faster end of putters but the Zone is much more OS than the Envy. I bag a Zone, Envy and Roach for throwing, power to the folks that can cover those lines with Wizards.

Electron Envies cycle. You're right though that none of the rest do. For me that's a good thing. I'll get the same flight out of my Eclipse Envy until I lose it.

Agree with this completely. Zone/Envy are both on the faster end of putters but the Zone is much more OS than the Envy. I bag a Zone, Envy and Roach for throwing, power to the folks that can cover those lines with Wizards.

I cant cover all the lines with a Wizard BUT if i had to pick one to cover the most lines for a driving putter...of all time...

Wizard

I'm thinking time and geography might play a role in some of this too.

I've only been playing for four years so obviously I'm still fairly new to the scene but I don't think I've ever seen anyone throwing or putting with a wizard.

Not judging the disc and it might be the best thing since sliced bread but I've probably played 400+ rounds including tags and tournaments and been carded up with plenty of strangers of all ages and I think maybe one guy was putting with a wizard.

Most of what I see is either Lunas, Judges, or Wardens. The guys who putt with Lunas throw with premium lunas, and same for the Judges and Wardens. I'm the only person I know that putts with pilots and throws premium pilots.

I have seen 2 people putting with Wizards over the past year and a half.

Most of what I see is either Lunas, Judges, or Wardens. The guys who putt with Lunas throw with premium lunas, and same for the Judges and Wardens. I'm the only person I know that putts with pilots and throws premium pilots.

I put with Proton Pilots, throw with Electron Firm Pilots, Soft Neutron Envies, and Neutron Ohms.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Honestly what I'm remembering was that Blake on DGR used to compare all putters to the Aviar/Wizard/Challenger. They were the Disc Golf Review Gold-standard putters in like 2007-2008. As new putters came out, they all were compared to those three. Something that Blake and I had in common was the belief that you can putt with anything so figure out your driving putter and just putt with it; all the DGR putter conversations with Blake were about how they were as driving putters.

I myself have bagged Aviars and Wizards, but never Challengers. I have very little experience with them.

Try Putting with a Sinus then, one of the lowest glide putters I have used that is also too OS to really putt with.

Now for good driving putters the Rubber Putter is another great flier, in fact an early version of the model before the name change, was used to set the distance record by an Australian. Can still find some Rubber Putters on Gotta Go Gotta Throw as new old stock, and if you can't find the Rubber Putter in a higher weight 170 grams or higher, then the 25th anniversary version with the throwback plane name might be worth looking at.

Yeah well from a quick look at the tally so far it's looking like videos should be
Envy vs Wizard,
Aviar vs Judge,
Pure vs Proxy

Or save Envy/ Wizard for vs winner of other rounds.. I think wizard vs envy is a reasonable matchup. Depending on how stable the particular wizard is..

I'm thinking time and geography might play a role in some of this too.

I've only been playing for four years so obviously I'm still fairly new to the scene but I don't think I've ever seen anyone throwing or putting with a wizard.

Not judging the disc and it might be the best thing since sliced bread but I've probably played 400+ rounds including tags and tournaments and been carded up with plenty of strangers of all ages and I think maybe one guy was putting with a wizard.

That's interesting. I've been playing almost 4 years, and I putt and drive with Wizards. I would say that it is quite common for me to see people putting with Wizards here in the Tampa Bay area. I'm not sure how many people are driving with them, as I don't pay that close attention.

That's interesting. I've been playing almost 4 years, and I putt and drive with Wizards. I would say that it is quite common for me to see people putting with Wizards here in the Tampa Bay area. I'm not sure how many people are driving with them, as I don't pay that close attention.

But are you even driving with a putter if you don't turn to your cardmates after the throw and brag about how you just threw a putter and which kind it was?

What I see when people are playing in my area is they are using KC Pro Aviar due to the only place in the area selling discs is selling Innova. I have also been seeing some using a Colt or Stud due hating the Aviar discs or a Pole Cat if they were or are a part of the local Ultimate team. Some are not even using a putter and using the ROC 3 in DX as the putter due to them not able to use anything deeper then a ROC 3 in terms of the disc, they skip some driver molds and midrange due to the depth and find even ROC too deep or the Skeeter due to the dome. They even find discs like the Gator/Mortar too deep or putter like to use.

The worst are the one disc people who have an Eagle, Firebird, or Thunderbird and I watch them get a 5+ on a par 3 yet they call out each one a par and leve at that, these people are the ones who took an aluminum with steel from a spot the hobos moved bench to and were using before the course went in and those hacks did a stupid circle disc on the bench.

Yeah well from a quick look at the tally so far it's looking like videos should be
Envy vs Wizard,
Aviar vs Judge,
Pure vs Proxy

Or save Envy/ Wizard for vs winner of other rounds.. I think wizard vs envy is a reasonable matchup. Depending on how stable the particular wizard is..

Very similar disc is the Steady and Wizard that needs to be done to see how similar they are. Other would be the Bangor GT for the next closest mold in terms of wing shape.