• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
Based off quite a few of the comments about the Envy on here it's pretty obvious a lot of the people commenting about them have never thrown one.

I'm definitely not a big power thrower and I don't have weird off axis issues to deal with. The Envy is not a disc that I would even refer to as overstable and definitely isn't in the Zone/Harp category of discs. It does seem a little fast for a putter but it doesn't have an excessive amount of glide and shot placement and judging distance is easy.

Yeah it's not really overstable but it likes to be thrown hard because it has strong HSS and uses speed instead of glide to get there. If you're really, really used to throwing floaty putters it will seem like an overstable brick.

Yeah it's not really overstable but it likes to be thrown hard because it has strong HSS and uses speed instead of glide to get there. If you're really, really used to throwing floaty putters it will seem like an overstable brick.

So someone who uses the Gator as his Driving Putter slot could due to glide get the Envy to work? Not that he would use the mold, he hates Overmolds due to the feel of the disc.

So someone who uses the Gator as his Driving Putter slot could due to glide get the Envy to work? Not that he would use the mold, he hates Overmolds due to the feel of the disc.

Depends which gator, dx worn is comparable to a premium envy fresh.. But gator is a meathook by comparison, especially the star with the differently tuned headless mold, that things just wrong.

I always like the "stable lid" description of the Envy.

As far as the "steady ed" I assume that's the original gumbputt. Good driver if you can work it, flippy front end but capable of weird hyzer flip to stable finish. Good disc but takes some real finesse to throw. I would throw that with something like a beat aviar or a fresh proton spin :)D) for a comparison round, not an Envy/Wizard.

Last edited:
Depends which gator, dx worn is comparable to a premium envy fresh.. But gator is a meathook by comparison, especially the star with the differently tuned headless mold, that things just wrong.

As far as the "steady ed" I assume that's the original gumbputt. Good driver if you can work it, flippy front end but capable of weird hyzer flip to stable finish. Good disc but takes some real finesse to throw. I would throw that with something like a beat aviar or a fresh proton spin :)D) for a comparison round, not an Envy/Wizard.

He can also for putting and has thrown one or two times his putting putter since 2017 a DX Stud. He was using since 2005 the same flat top DX beat way in to being like a Spider with no glide for putting and had a fresh small dome DX Gator for approach as his two discs before he got the G-star standard dome for that and Metal Flake Champion flat top from me for birthday or Christmas as a present. He uses those hew plastics for slightly different purposes as discs for his play and will use them as wind putters, well the G-Star.

To all you Envy throwers that are calling your overstable Approach disc the greatest throwing Putter of all time...

If you putt with something different.......... you may want to try a Mint Discs Profit. That disc feels like a single shot mold Envy.

Can you expand on this for me? I have heard others say this, and I think the official description even says this, but I can't for the life of me figure out how this describes an Envy. To give an example, I actually have a stable lid, a champion Polecat, and the Envy doesn't fly anything like that. What about the Envy makes you think "lid"?

Can you expand on this for me? I have heard others say this, and I think the official description even says this, but I can't for the life of me figure out how this describes an Envy. To give an example, I actually have a stable lid, a champion Polecat, and the Envy doesn't fly anything like that. What about the Envy makes you think "lid"?

It doesn't seem lid-like to me. My Roaches are more lid-like than any Envy I've ever thrown. Slower and neutral vs faster and slightly OS.

It doesn't seem lid-like to me. My Roaches are more lid-like than any Envy I've ever thrown. Slower and neutral vs faster and slightly OS.

Yeah they probably should have called it an "OS Lid" ...

For me it's the feel, flat on the inside and top. It grabs good air, but yeah it's not flippy nor neutral like most lids, and it doesn't like nose up throws for the most part.

I get decent anhyzers with them. I dunno maybe I'm just buying into propaganda. I do throw 165-167g primarily though. I FH my 174's.

Stable lid? Lol, what? I know Michigan legalized weed up there I think but come on MVP you gotta get right if you think the Envy is a lid.

- Sincerely,
Envy fan

according to axiom website

"The Envy has a smooth modern feel that fits in the hand perfectly, lending confidence for both putt and approach duties. The Envy exhibits reliable high-speed stability and a minimal fade. With a slightly lower profile and cruising speed than the Ion and Anode class, the Envy is a uniquely "lid-like" stable putter."

according to axiom website

"The Envy has a smooth modern feel that fits in the hand perfectly, lending confidence for both putt and approach duties. The Envy exhibits reliable high-speed stability and a minimal fade. With a slightly lower profile and cruising speed than the Ion and Anode class, the Envy is a uniquely "lid-like" stable putter."

I would like to congratulate Casey1988 for getting hired as Axiom website manager. :thmbup:

How many championships has PMB won using/bagging discmania S P2 ? Eagle and Simon good examples of P2 being one of the great driving putters.

Is it's too much of an Aviar variant to be considered? Aren't 98% of all putters too much of an aviar variant?

Is this a repeat of Roc/Buzzz? Rocs work well for people throwing old-school high lines and the Buzzz works better for people who want to throw their mid like a driver i.e. thrown hard on a lower line. The molds lend themselves to particular styles.

Is the Envy just the putt/approach version of the Buzzz where the Aviar and Wizard are old-school putter molds that you throw like...well, a putter? :|

*Full disclosure: I've never even seen and Envy, much less thrown one. I'm just asking a question.

Is this a repeat of Roc/Buzzz? Rocs work well for people throwing old-school high lines and the Buzzz works better for people who want to throw their mid like a driver i.e. thrown hard on a lower line. The molds lend themselves to particular styles.

Is the Envy just the putt/approach version of the Buzzz where the Aviar and Wizard are old-school putter molds that you throw like...well, a putter? :|

*Full disclosure: I've never even seen and Envy, much less thrown one. I'm just asking a question.

Well for someone who hasn't handled one, I'd say you nailed it. Envy replaced my Buzzz low, flat, power lines. Gotta keep that nose down!