• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What shots to "master" in what order?

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
I was thinking about how I spent most of last summer/fall working on form and throwing putters and driving putters and how now my most comfortable disc and shot on the tee is throwing putters and driving putters. I want to do this whenever I can even when a slightly fast disc seems to make more sense. Now I am thinking what would be the best order to spend time on "mastering" before moving to the next and so on. Here is my initial attempt at this list.

1. BH drives with putters then driving putters.
2. Putts.
3. FH drive with putters then driving putters.
4. Upshots.
5. BH drives with mids.
6. FH drives with mids.
7. BH drives with US then S then OS fairways.
8. FH drives with US then S then OS fairways.
9. BH drives with US then S then OS long fairways/short distance drivers.
10. FH drives with US then S then OS long fairways/short distance drivers.
11. BH drives with US then S then OS distance drivers.
12. FH drives with US then S then OS distance drivers.

That covers about everything, I would go back to putts and upshots in between each number 5-12 so there is some repetition. What exactly do you mean by "mastering"?

Really you just need to learn the flex sidearm driver shot

I think of it more as an emphasis for practice time and getting high ROI vs mastering specific things then moving on. And I break it down in a different set of skills. Putting, accuracy, shot diversity, distance.

I'd do all backhand (or forehand) first, myself. The putters-to-mids-to-drivers translates faster that way, and you can do pretty well if you're competent from just one side. Add the other as an enhancement.

1a) Learn to throw a neutral to understable mid-range straight and flat.
1b) Learn to putt confidently and consistently inside 15 feet.
3) Learn to throw the neutral to understable mid-range on a pure hyzer (aim to maintain the hyzer angle through-out the flight; not a hyzer-flip)
4) Learn to "jump-putt" layup from outside the circle (aim to be able consistently land the disc within 15 feet of the basket from as far away as you can comfortably jump-putt).
5) Learn to throw the neutral to understable mid-range on a moderate anhyzer.
6) Learn to control the release angle in real play scenarios (That is, produce various flat, hyzer, and anhyzer thows on command, rather than just when repeatedly practicing the same type of shot).
7) Learn the basic throwing mechanics for the forehand, emphasizing smooth release with low to medium power shots on hyzer angles.
8) Experiment with a neutral fairway driver, paying attention to how nose angle has a more dramatic effect and developing a nice nose-down release. Continue to throw the neutral to understable mid-range to prevent bad habits like wrist-rolling (causing excessive turn on the disc)
9) Experiment with stable discs. Do NOT attempt to throw them for maximum distance. Embrace the fade, and learn how it improves the consistency of the flight, especially in the presence of wind.
10+) Work on extending putting range; learn advanced shot shapes (flex, hyzer-flip, etc); learn forehand rollers for rescue shots; learn awkward stances (like "patent-pending") for rescue shots

Overall, I think people massively over-rate the importance and easy of improvement on long putts. In my experience, it's much easier to improve consistency and distance on drives, and those things have a larger scoring impact anyways.

Overall, I think people massively over-rate the importance and easy of improvement on long putts. In my experience, it's much easier to improve consistency and distance on drives, and those things have a larger scoring impact anyways.

I would agree that the key to scoring well isn't draining a bunch of 40 footers, but a lot of people practice those putts like crazy.

Get your drives consistent enough to not put yourself 50 feet into the bushes on every other hole. I don't think you necessarily need to have a huge repertoire of shots, just don't yank it into the trees and you'll do a lot better than most.

Get your approach game good enough to consistently get inside the circle on short-medium length approaches.

Make virtually everything from 20' in.

Soo..you've mastered the drive..next drive you shoot goes OB..oranywhere but perfect..guess you better get to remastering the drive...yeah..exactly..you cant...point here is get better at the worst part of your game n master your mind n body connection..good luck mr.miyagi

You're thinking too much about disc type and not shot type.

Learn how to throw a backhand straight (like with a neutral putter), then learn how to throw a hyzer and anhyzer. Then you can figure out how to hyzer flip and manipulate flight lines with those angles. Then learning to use those to control your landing angle. Add in the same thing with a sidearm and you've got many years of learning and a lot of shots you'd be able to cover.

Also, there's no such thing as mastering how to putt or practice putting too much, so there's always that.

I'd do all backhand (or forehand) first, myself. The putters-to-mids-to-drivers translates faster that way, and you can do pretty well if you're competent from just one side. Add the other as an enhancement.

I think this is a sound theory and also just what happens for a bunch of folks.. I threw all backhand for many many years.. Occasional FH and OH mixed in.. I have developed a wicked BH that I can use for 95 percent plus of my shots. I like when the crowd can't believe my anhyzers and don't think they're possible. It worked for me! Now I can concentrate on FH better be cause my BH is so solid and natural I don't have to think about it as much anymore.

I should have spent more time putting....

Last edited: