• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should happen with rear leg?

I think this is a good example of not staying balanced over the rear foot long enough still. My best throws always feel like I am on my back foot progressively rolling my weight forward off the back foot for what seems like forever.

You can tell that in the 1st picture, Eagle's head appears to be closer towards being stacked over his rear foot than your head.

I think your form looks pretty good up to the peak of your reachback, but after that there's a problem. It's like your shoulder starts going forward slightly before weight transfer.

Last edited:
I think your form looks pretty good up to the peak of your reachback, but after that there's a problem. It's like your shoulder starts going forward slightly before weight transfer.

Pretty much exactly what I was referring to in my previous post when I was talking about "starting the second pull too early" in the olympic squat clean or snatch.

It's funny, I just posted about this exact topic in my thread. For me it was simply pushing off my toe and driving the leg earlier. I just focused on thinking about throwing a left handed pitch (hershyzer drill that seabas22 talks about).

I was looking at these drives, eagle and mcbeth specifically and how do they get to this position with rear leg?

3 ideas come to mind, but I am not sure. I have tried latter 2, but for me the rear leg just keeps floating there and it does not happen automatically.

1. Spin your rear knee/femur inwards.
  2. Spin your hips and it happens automatically.
  3. Just push straight forward with your rear leg and it happens automatically.

Also I noticed that his rear heel is on the ground, but that could be related that his is throwing anhyzer.

From here
fqG2ccQ.png

to
vWm9J81.png
These guys ^^^ are all correct. If you had camera views from behind the tee you would see your feet are too spread out left/right on the tee pad while Eagle is much more stacked up and inline straighter down the tee pad. You are pushing more leftward around, while Eagle is pushing more targetward and the hip/weight forward.

In the first pic, if you looked from behind the tee Eagle's rear hip is stacked right over his ankle or possibly even behind it to the right side of the tee. Your rear hip is more leftward of your rear ankle and can't really drive it forward with internal hip rotation. The Swivel Chair and Butt Wipe Drills should help you feel this.

I have to totally agree that my shoulder hits the target first, not hips, so I must try to keep my weight back more. I think it is a badly learned hershyzer drill, I was trying to smoothly fall forward and easiest is to tilt the upper body forward.

About my left leg being too rear from right leg, here is the video I took

Today I was watching a video of mccabe and pierce and there pierce said something that caught my ear.

At 21:40 she said that when driving, her front foot would hit the ground exactly when hand hits its front point. During the last months I have tried to exactly work against this. I am trying not to pull with my hand before I hit/plant my front foot (have most of weight on front foot).

For example taking Will. This is no weight on his rear foot and he is just starting the forward swing. Any comments on that?

tgcedjt.jpg

Also I did quite clearly understand, which is the general idea getting that internal rotation on rear foot?

1. Spin your rear knee/femur inwards.
  2. Spin your hips and it happens automatically.
  3. Just push straight forward with your rear leg and it happens automatically.

Last edited:
Damn I hate that I can not edit my post more than 5 minutes. I have so many new ideas within this period and I edit the post like 5 times atleast.

Anyways, I found a video that I took few months ago and I can instantly see that my rear foot looks very awkward, maybe it helps you to diagnose what I am doing wrongly.

Here is my leg just flying around, as I have been talking about. Here you can also see that my front foot steps too left?

I did some self analysis. I see that my rear leg is flying like that because I am not using legs at all, just swinging with hand. Could be related to snow also, because it was quite slippery.

IzLOKa7.png

Today I was watching a video of mccabe and pierce and there pierce said something that caught my ear.

At 21:40 she said that when driving, her front foot would hit the ground exactly when hand hits its front point. During the last months I have tried to exactly work against this. I am trying not to pull with my hand before I hit/plant my front foot (have most of weight on front foot).

For example taking Will. This is no weight on his rear foot and he is just starting the forward swing. Any comments on that?

tgcedjt.jpg
Paige said she "tries to plant the front foot exactly when the elbow hits its front point." I'd chalk this up to weird things some pros say. Looks pretty similar to Will, just slightly bent elbow.
aBagFAX.png

I have to totally agree that my shoulder hits the target first, not hips, so I must try to keep my weight back more. I think it is a badly learned hershyzer drill, I was trying to smoothly fall forward and easiest is to tilt the upper body forward.

About my left leg being too rear from right leg, here is the video I took

You should be able to do the Hershyzer in slow motion - it's about balance and controlling your weight. See how McBeth's rear hip is balanced/stacked in posture with the ankle and knee, he is leveraged to make a balanced forward move from the Hershyzer. Butt is counter balanced and wiping the wall.
OJyZ2Wf.png

Gahh I think I am doing something wrong. I think it not just that small tuning, but something fundamentally wrong. Not using correct muscles in correct time I think.

Mcbeth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kU7cwgnLA&t=29s

Me

Actually my rear foot or weight is on toes, even if it does not look that way, because you can see that I am planting almost parallel to the teepad, but when pushing through only the heel moves forward makes it look like I planted toe too backwards.

What Paul does amazingly here is that, he does the same thing exactly as me, the heel almost like touches the ground, but weight is always on toes, but just before the throw, his rear knee rotates inwards, heel comes up and everything works out. But these are only symptoms I think.

I am pretty sure mcbeth is not turning his rear knee inwards by itself or that he does it because he wants to, because I can accomplish something like that, just spinning the rear knee, but I think this is not the point?!

Also I see that I am still planting too wide, but this is not related to the current issue. Even if it is, it could affect it a little, but at the moment my leg just flies around, it gets 0 internal rotation, it does not work at all like mcbeths, so it must be somekind of fundamental understanding issue.

What I am doing, you can see from my video also, I am just pushing forward with my rear toes and bracing on front, but this does not get me into the position mcbeth gets. So what I am missing? :wall::wall:

I'm struggling with the exact same thing right now, but I wanted to point out you don't necessarily need to 'look like McBeth'. A lot of the guys with throwing style that seems easier to emulate use their rear leg as a counter balance to the arm once the hip rotates and the foot is inverted.

From my understanding the push of the toes is like the pitcher on the mound. The foot inverts from properly sending the weight/hips forward (something I'm struggling with). You want to roll off the toes, but it doesn't need to end in the same exaggerated stance as his. I think if you look at the really super big arm guys like Eagle and Lizotte are probably closer to McBeth.

Ix5bsSS.png

Your front foot lands, but your weight/balance doesn't shift forward with it. Your rear heel should be going up as your front heel plants/crushes the can - shifting between feet heel up/heel down. Your rear heel doesn't come up until after your front heel is planted, so both heels on ground at same time means there is no shifting. Ride the Bull:

So I went out and tried 2 things, to get my rear foot working, also tried to leave the throw as late as possible and start with legs. I notice that my left arm is flying around this time, but I was working at a specific thing today.

1. Bringing rear foot behind body for counter balance
Side view

Rear view

2. Turning rear foot inwards
Side view

Rear view

Which looks better, which approach should I go for?

#1 looks better from side view, but #2 looks better from behind tee(maintained some flex in rear knee). Both cases you are too late getting your weight off the rear foot to shift into the plant with your rear arm in! You can't fix your feet/weight shift/bracing when your rear arm has an appetite for destruction.

Can it be that you are stiff? Maybe stiffness hinders your hips internal rotations and hips/shoulder separation?
I know I have this problem. I'm to stiff, it's gotten better, but still my bodey work against me sometimes when I try to get into possitions. Try some flexibility exercises :)

Rear arm is hanging back(requires no flexibility, perhaps too loose/disconnected). You can see how every pro is bringing their whole rear side through into the brace first(counterweight leading trebuchet arm sling action).
cuIvLCN.png

But to start the drive with the rear hip into the front hip and get the shoulders moving without rounding with the front hip at the same time, for that you need internal hip flexibility. A stiff person wont "feel" the chain becouse his bodeyparts just wont let him.
Since i started working on flexibility (I am still stiff) I have an easier time feeling my bodeyparts and I even gained some distance.

Latest posts