• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should happen with rear leg?

Got out today and tried to do different things and just as I was doing last shots before heading home I think I made some progress.

I basically did not turn my shoulder forward before I had shifted weight on front foot and it felt amazing. I did only get ~10 shots in with this new technique, but basically I felt my whole body unwinding itself and I did not even think about my rear foot or turning hips or turning shoulders, it happened naturally, it all propelled behind and around my brace axis. And disc finally for the first time felt totally different in hand, like it was launched out of my hand. Discs flew ~30 feet further also nicely.

Things that I see are different with this at the moment

1. GOOD! Shoulders are not opening too early as before, they are perfectly timed
  2. GOOD! I feel like I got the brace and weight shift working the first time
  3. GOOD! Rear foot and side are not crashing into front side as it previously did
  4. BAD! Rear arm away from body, just forgot about it

Still quite new to me and have to do alot of testing, but I feel like it is improvement. Atleast it felt good.

Yeah, that looks a lot better especially the second one. Stride stance is still a little too wide and you turn backward too early and yeah the rear arm.

Yeah, that looks a lot better especially the second one. Stride stance is still a little too wide and you turn backward too early and yeah the rear arm.

They look quite similar to me. Can you tell me what is better with second one, then I know when I am on field and filming, to keep that tip in mind and strive for it? Thanks

Slightly narrower stride/stance so you planted more with your weight from behind you into your heel with your shoulder still back. In the followthrough you wind more around your plant.

Good questions that are rather difficult to explain. More important than rotating or firing the hips is pivoting them or clearing them. If you throw with your feet together you quickly realize this and you might be surprised how far you can actually throw. In regard to weight transfer, do not try to shift your weight! Just stay dynamically balanced, and a good weight transfer will happen.

1) So question about weight shift. Should my last step be more of a step or more of a fall/smash? I have been all the time strongly pushing off rear foot and trying to catch/brace that push on front foot. Today I read some old threads, and would it be okay that last step is more of a step on toes and then just the shifting of weight is just that heels goes to the ground (explained on 2:40 on video) or it must be more forceful, like a fall or smash?

2) And follow up question, would be, after I have braced on front foot, should the next movement be clearing my hips, meaning getting my hips turned and letting the disc lag behind? So simplified would the correct order of totals things be, brace, clear hips and then throw? Got idea from this video

1) So question about weight shift. Should my last step be more of a step or more of a fall/smash? I have been all the time strongly pushing off rear foot and trying to catch/brace that push on front foot. Today I read some old threads, and would it be okay that last step is more of a step on toes and then just the shifting of weight is just that heels goes to the ground (explained on 2:40 on video) or it must be more forceful, like a fall or smash?

2) And follow up question, would be, after I have braced on front foot, should the next movement be clearing my hips, meaning getting my hips turned and letting the disc lag behind? So simplified would the correct order of totals things be, brace, clear hips and then throw? Got idea from this video

1. Both.

1a. Your "weight" is governed by the local laws of gravity where gravity accelerates your mass 9.8m/s giving you "weight" or force. The more you fall, the more weight force you have or smash - crush the can. On the extreme end you have the Brinster hop which is extremely efficient smash as gravity does most of the work force that can transferred through your body to the disc. One the same token the One Leg Drill even involves you changing your "weight" by falling via gravity and extending on the front leg alone.

1b. A shift of your "weight" requires lateral movement or more specifically a shift in the orientation of the spine from being balanced upright on the rear leg to upright balanced on the front leg aka "the move" part 1 to part 2. In Best Downswing Weightshift, "that shift is about an inch long(2.5cm long)".

2. Yes, see Swivel Chair Drill which puts you into protruded butt posture aka internally rotated hips and leads into Crush the Can drill i.e. no swinging yet and arm is just along for the ride.

My latest form, 2 mistakes I notice instantly. Reachback too early and left arm not hugging enough.

The runup is a little up the hill. How does it look?

Could be related to my stance width. Basically rear foot comes off the ground after the weight braces behind front foot and everything is trying to move forward, but since it is stuck behind the brace, it will come off the ground and rotate. Right?

And when I take that extra long last step, then rear foot can't come off the ground soon enough, because there is no brace yet happening.

Also I am not sure if I am late getting off rear foot or just early with swing.

Keep your front knee straight-ish and foot/heel gliding just above the ground during the stride and more lateral/sideways. You are striding too backward and bending your front knee/lifting your heel unnaturally away higher from your toes which throws everything off before you plant.

Keep your front knee straight-ish and foot/heel gliding just above the ground during the stride and more lateral/sideways. You are striding too backward and bending your front knee/lifting your heel unnaturally away higher from your toes which throws everything off before you plant.
I like to watch Will Schusterick throw to illustrate the idea of staying sideways longer.

Charmee see how Will is keeping his hips and shoulders sideways to the target throughout the X-step and then only when his plant foot starts moving out past his torso does his reachback/turnback.

Yeah going too backwards is probably directly related me doing the backswing too early.
I have trouble timing the backswing, thats why I am just doing it early so I know I get full extension. Could I be overloading my hips?

Question about backswing, lets say I start it after my right foot moves past my torso. How do you initiate the backswing? I am at the moment turning my shoulders, turning my hips and its all over the place.

Must I turn only my hips and the shoulders will follow? Or do I still have to turn both of them, but which do I turn first and which do I turn after, or I turn them in the same time?

Any good drills or ideas for it?

Last edited:
Not overloading your hips - you are not upright stacked/balanced on your hips.

Gravity, forward pre-swing and my butt/weight initiates the backswing. Work your body/feet around the disc/door frame - you can't force the disc around your body. You can't initiate the backswing with your right foot airborne - you are on the wrong leg - see One Leg Drill/Power of Posture/Reciprocating Dingle Arm.

Shoulders follow hips, there is no other way in ground up sequence. Your weight shifted forward must lead the sequence though.

Get a sledgehammer and get your body out of its way. Toss the sledgehammer on one leg, then do it with an x-step, do it effortless. Slow Motion Drill/Pertually Longer Drill.

Last edited:
Not overloading your hips - you are not upright stacked/balanced on your hips.

I feel balanced, but I guess I am too much on my rear foot during backswing. Do you mean I am not upright stacked during backswing right? Not talking about downswing?

You can't initiate the backswing with your right foot airborne.

I am missing something. Everyone has their right foot airborne when they are starting their backswing. If I would start backswing after my right foot plants, I think it would be too late.

I feel balanced, but I guess I am too much on my rear foot during backswing. Do you mean I am not upright stacked during backswing right? Not talking about downswing?

I am missing something. Everyone has their right foot airborne when they are starting their backswing. If I would start backswing after my right foot plants, I think it would be too late.
Both. Everything is mirrored forward and back.

Airborne right foot is too late to initiate the backswing from ground up.

Yeah going too backwards is probably directly related me doing the backswing too early.
I have trouble timing the backswing, thats why I am just doing it early so I know I get full extension. Could I be overloading my hips?

Question about backswing, lets say I start it after my right foot moves past my torso. How do you initiate the backswing? I am at the moment turning my shoulders, turning my hips and its all over the place.

Must I turn only my hips and the shoulders will follow? Or do I still have to turn both of them, but which do I turn first and which do I turn after, or I turn them in the same time?

What has helped me is a combination of a bunch of stuff coming back together. It has taken a while to feel it comfortably but rather than think of any backswing just keep the disc over the rear foot from the time your left foot touches on the X-step until it starts moving forward. The disc stays in one spot while you move around it. The video that I really clicked for me was the one that is posted all the time with the slow mo lead card distance drives and watch especially Will. The disc looks like it is on a stake holding is left foot to the ground. Just hold the disc in place and the backswing/reachback happens naturally.
Then two things, this video of McBeth doing filed work. Not the best camera angles but these short low power throws, how he delays the disc, not so much a reachback but when his weight shifts forward the disc stays back and then accelerates. It looked really funny to me at first but as I progressed it made so much more sense.

If that doesn't start I think it is more pronounced at the throws starting at 5:40. Same concept can be carried over to full power throws.
So... thinking about Will and holding the disc over the rear foot rather than consciously reaching back, and thinking about the ~delay in moving the disc until after the weight shift we see with Paul, THEN after getting a little of that feeling going back to the door frame drill freaking light bulbs.

Look at this comparison between you and Will. See how he is still looking at the target and his shoulders and hips are more or less still pointed targetward? You lose accuracy and timing by turning your head back too early. The backswing, to my knowledge, is the mirror of the swing. First the hips turn back, followed by shoulders, and the disc just hangs out in space, more or less. Then at the peak, when the plant foot hits simultaneously with the peak of the reachback, everything unwinds: hips, shoulders, arm.

9k8ehQN.png

XgHTG24.png

I've gotta say that your swing looks a ton better than mine though!

Thanks guys. I tried it yesterday, but still was a little too early with backswing and my rear foot started to smash leg again, which shouldn't happen, just gotta rinse and repeat.

I also tried on leg drill, but I don't feel it. First of all all discs are going out with 30 degree hyzer, which could be fixed I guess. But I am just sitting on my front foot and pulling with my hand, which seems counter intuitive, since pulling should happen starting from shoulders usually. Any tips?

I also tried on leg drill, but I don't feel it. First of all all discs are going out with 30 degree hyzer, which could be fixed I guess. But I am just sitting on my front foot and pulling with my hand, which seems counter intuitive, since pulling should happen starting from shoulders usually. Any tips?

Go re-watch the first few minutes of SW's original one leg drill just the throws. Its about a rhythm as much as anything. Between SW and HUB, and the Beto drill so many vids showing us one legging it. SW says a lot in his first few words in his. "The but wipes targetward" (or something along those lines). You should be able to whip the disc out from the right pec if your hips are in rhythm on one leg. I was doing this at home for a few minutes the other day thinking I wasn't really putting anything into the disc and almost put it through a window... oops I wasn't trying to throw but keep a hold of it.
Posture - Hip Rhythm - arm angles don't try and pull just keep your arm/shoulders on a good plane and focus on the angles. Even on one leg the hips still generate the power.

Your disc should be your eye target so you can see what kind of arc/swing you are putting on the disc. Your body sets up aiming to the target. Watching the disc also helps shifting from behind big time!

Also hard to see from side view angle, if you looked at this from behind the tee your balance is too far to the right side of tee from your front foot/behind your heel. Will is more stacked upright with head/shoulders over knees and balance on toes.
mGXP4VU.png

Last edited: