• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should happen with rear leg?

Grip pressure should increase as acceleration increases. You want firm control of the disc's weight to sling it forward.

when the disc reaches between your pecs and you are crushing forward with elbow, the elbow keep moving forward and at one point, elbow must open and extend.

does that happens naturally or you should be doing a karate chop and actively opening elbow?

when the disc reaches between your pecs and you are crushing forward with elbow, the elbow keep moving forward and at one point, elbow must open and extend.

does that happens naturally or you should be doing a karate chop and actively opening elbow?
I'd say it's both. Describing this stuff gets tricky, but it is really simple to feel. Get a hammer and use it sideways, pound the nail.

The elbow should only be moving forward in space because the body is rotating, the elbow should not really be moving forward relative to your body(across your body) until your body rotation slows down which will naturally release the lower arm/extend the elbow. The elbow will actually move backward relative to the body slightly due to lag when your body starts accelerating in rotation. The elbow should almost stop moving to release the lower arm. You should be assisting that momentum to pound/chop/swing/slash through. At the hit everything should tighten up/brace for that impact/blowback.

You should be able to do the Hershyzer in slow motion - it's about balance and controlling your weight. See how McBeth's rear hip is balanced/stacked in posture with the ankle and knee, he is leveraged to make a balanced forward move from the Hershyzer. Butt is counter balanced and wiping the wall.
OJyZ2Wf.png

I was googling what my rear leg should do because I knew what I was currently doing was not right and came upon this thread and this picture of McBeth posted by SW. It really helped me understand that my back leg was basically not helping me throw at all. Seeing the stacked view with the line really drove this home. What I noticed with this is that I generally stand too straight up and flat footed or I bend my knees for the sake of bending them but not really activating them and feeling the compression into the ground. I was also staggering my plant foot too far out which was causing me to catch myself with my plant foot more than brace. If you're weight is going forward (perpendicular to line of play) you naturally have to catch/support yourself with your toes on your plant foot to take the energy going that way.

Now, I've been thinking of the rear leg feeling being like if you were balanced on your rear leg and wanted to jump straight up as high as you could - you will be naturally stacked and feel the power and compression there. Staying more on my toes and thinking about this feeling has kept my weight more centered and given me more power in my throws. Now, I have to focus on breaking the bad habit of striding too far out (perpendicular to line of play) from my body so that my weight can more effectively transfer laterally into my right plant/brace/heel.

Just wanted to share as this was a really helpful graphic for me.

opposing force, trail side resists rotation

when I look at Beto drill, and all the slow mo on youtube of top pros, i see the same thing every time. Trail leg is kicking back AWAY from rotation of throwing motion. Trail side, trail leg is resisting and actually kicks counter rotary to the rotation of the lead side. I haven't been throwing much, just less than a year. I was trying to find the snap feeling, as soon as I got this intention in my throw, that once the weight was transferred to lead foot, the trail foot kicked off back behind to provide a counter resistance to the lead arm moving forward and around. SNAP. With out the counter motion, there is no snap. If you tried to push off forward or in the same rotation direction as the lead hand/shoulder/arm, you can't snap. I've looked everywhere for somebody to say this in youtube land or on this forum, nothing. Sidewinder was so close to it in the chair drill, but nada. Its like trying to throw something in space, you end up pushing yourself backward.

BTW, I've been studying high level golf mechanics for 45 years. Seeing all that "Secret in the Dirt" information again is amusing. Shawn Clements is a quack. Mike Malaska, on the other hand is GOD. Everything Malaska says is Gold. The guy who started SitD, Mike Maves, is a life insurance salesman (just saying0, who had the incredible fortune to befriend Steve Elkington, one of the greatest swingers of the club ever. I'm glad I'm out of that culture of right wing psycho ball golfers, and have found this much less uptight sport. I'm 61, I can't field work as much a I want, but I broke the 330 feet from a stand still in a month, and can do it consistently now, just recently, with the above kicking the trail leg resistance to the rotation. Its a Greg Norman move, I wish I had understood that when I was playing D1 ball golf a million years ago.

when I look at Beto drill, and all the slow mo on youtube of top pros, i see the same thing every time. Trail leg is kicking back AWAY from rotation of throwing motion. Trail side, trail leg is resisting and actually kicks counter rotary to the rotation of the lead side. I haven't been throwing much, just less than a year. I was trying to find the snap feeling, as soon as I got this intention in my throw, that once the weight was transferred to lead foot, the trail foot kicked off back behind to provide a counter resistance to the lead arm moving forward and around. SNAP. With out the counter motion, there is no snap. If you tried to push off forward or in the same rotation direction as the lead hand/shoulder/arm, you can't snap. I've looked everywhere for somebody to say this in youtube land or on this forum, nothing. Sidewinder was so close to it in the chair drill, but nada. Its like trying to throw something in space, you end up pushing yourself backward.

Its a Greg Norman move, I wish I had understood that when I was playing D1 ball golf a million years ago.
Been talking about the Greg Norman move for years on here and in my vids...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=5m10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m26s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs&t=2m8s

This was my first post in this thread...
Yeah I think you answered it in the other thread, you are still stuck on the rear foot at the plant and not shifting your balance/lower spine forward into the plant.

Last edited:
Thanks, I had seen this Norman post, but I somehow missed the hammer one. Good post as usual, spot on. I think Norman and other PGA Australians learned this right side resistance from the master...Peter Senior. Allenby, Appleby, Norman and others are right sided resistance swingers, in the tradition of Senior. There is several great slo-mo of Senior vids behind down the line on Youtube, you can see where Norman took that move and conquered the world. Thanks for all your insightful vids SW, I will continue to watch them many times more.

I would like to find a vid somewhere where the poster relates the rhbh left foot kicking counter clockwise resistance at the exact moment of the whip snap right hand releasing the disc, and emphasis on the left foot being the furthermost part through the body of this whip model, like the butt of the handle of a whip. The vid i'm looking for would shout to the heavens that the further-est point of the body to the right whip hand is the left foot, and that with maximum extension from the left foot to the right hand torquing around the planted right leg/side at the moment of cracking the whip comes maximum snap. I see videos with emphasis on left feet/side for rhbh moving down the line, but I haven't found the vid relating that move to the right hand snap. As if the left foot snaps counterclockwise at the same time as the right hand snaps clockwise. Please advise.

Last edited:
Frame 5 - Note how Brinster is finished with his rear foot still braced behind him and smashed his rear shoulder/weight through to the front foot and his throwing hand has smashed through the swing to finish right over the rear foot = max swing extension through your spine axis from rear foot to throwing hand. His hips are square to the target. We can see your rear foot and hip/axis have swung around you with your hand effectively shortening your swing through impact and over-rotated, instead of bracing and countering the rear side/weight to max extension and release of the throwing arm.

DuLbDRe.png

http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/s...2016-10-19 at 2.56.02 PM_zpshbzwmgff.png.html

Thanks SW, perfect vids to explain the trail side behavior. I've been throwing about 10 months daily if possible and not injured, and unfortunately, must have watched the Youtube video of Drew Gibson and Brodie trying to throw far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyhekGmjxjQ&t=890s, where Drew is SHOWING exactly the correct left leg/foot action kicking behind during the hit, but SAYING exactly the opposite, (wrong thing for my nubie head), at minute 13. He is saying the trail leg/foot explodes FORWARD and around........exactly wrong. The left foot actually pushes BACK AWAY to resist the right side pulling/turning around. Left foot/leg kicks back, then the entire left leg is dragged forward around after the hit by the momentum of the follow through of the upper body. The video doesn't lie, Drew has perfect form DOING the exact opposite thing he's SAYING. Screwed me up for about a month or two after watching that. Drew in slow mo behind down the line is in perfect form for the left leg kicking back and countering the upper right arm whipping around. I guess I should thank those two knuckleheads, cause when I lost all snap after seeing that crap video, I learned something the hard way.

Last edited:
SW you mentioned this in another instructional critique: "You should be stiffening the rear knee dynamically upright to rotate the pelvis/spine back away from target."

Yep, that's another ball golf move, the stand up right leg resistance on the backswing type move out of "Stack and Tilt" and other sacred books. Good model to wind up on backswing. The concepts are effective, they worked for me.

Please recommend videos where this is demonstrated specifically and talked about in disc golf format. "Braced trail/back knee."

Yesterday, I put in too much field work, tweeked the back. Lesson learned, be aware of physical exhaustion, even though the mind says go, got to find that leverage and snap, but you can't do it injured, stupid. Funny, i was fine till I woke up this morning and leaned over to pull on my socks. I read some wise advise to chrush it about 6 times full on, after that your done, do some putting and approaches. Did I listen? When are these hard lessons going to end?

I turn my butt forward to turn my arm/disc into the backswing together. Then reverse for forward swing, turn butt away from target which turns arm/disc forward together like a catapult/counterweight across your center of gravity/fulcrum, butt on one side and arm/disc on the other side.

Hello SW. When you said you reverse for forward swing, does this mean you actively turn your hips clockwise right after the plant or does the momentum from the rear leg into the plant turn the hips.

I did not understand your answer a few posts earlier for a similar question.

I first thought actively with the one butt wipe video against the wall but then I saw the baseball batter videos in another thread.

Thank you in advance.

Hello SW. When you said you reverse for forward swing, does this mean you actively turn your hips clockwise right after the plant or does the momentum from the rear leg into the plant turn the hips.

I did not understand your answer a few posts earlier for a similar question.

I first thought actively with the one butt wipe video against the wall but then I saw the baseball batter videos in another thread.

Thank you in advance.
Hard to explain, drills are moving in slow motion so you have to actively turn more I think. When you turn/load back and can brace up against momentum, things unwind more automatically.