• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where does 10M start?

nohr

Eagle Member
I was reading the rules and I have a question

Putt: Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole is considered a putt.

Does this mean to the pole of the hole? If there was a large concrete base to the basket would it be the concrete or the pole? I guess I would have the same question about temp baskets with wooden bases.

10M starts with the Brick.

scorcherbrickpics013.jpg

But seriously, it's the pole.

chiggins said:
Dig It said:

Okay, but let's split another hair: pole-pole or pole-sleeve?

(Honestly I can't imagine this being important, but what the hell...)

Pole - Pole

Dig It said:
chiggins said:
Dig It said:

Pole - Pole

K next level: if TD's have painted circles for a tourney, are they just guides, or are they considered a valid boundary (let's say, f'rinstance if the paint's been done on sloping, uneven terrain?)

chiggins said:
Dig It said:
chiggins said:
Dig It said:

Pole - Pole

K next level: if TD's have painted circles for a tourney, are they just guides, or are they considered a valid boundary (let's say, f'rinstance if the paint's been done on sloping, uneven terrain?)
I have to say they are guidelines but guidelines no different from OB guidelines painted up by a TD for a tourny. So I guess they are used as gospel until someone gets called on it and forces the TD to come out and measure. From my experience the way they make those circles are fairly dubious. Sort of makes me wish 10M circles went in with every tee and basket. This is further complicated by every group I've been in it is 99% the putter asking for group consensus whether or not they are out of 10M.

Dig It said:
So I guess they are used as gospel until someone gets called on it and forces the TD to come out and measure.

Heh, I'm certain this has or will happen, 'cause everything does. But somehow I just can't imagine someone asking an official to come out and measure the circle so they can do a jump from 30' 1/64".

Maybe not an official but I know of some top pros whipping out a tape measure if they didn't think the painted 10m line was correct.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Maybe not an official but I know of some top pros whipping out a tape measure if they didn't think the painted 10m line was correct.

Damn! So do you know what the scenario was? Were they hoping to jump from 30.01, or hoping to call someone else on a falling putt?

homebrew said:
32' 9-11/16" :)
See I wasn't even going to say anything for fear of being labeled a pedant... but here we are.

10m is "officially" 32 feet 10 inches for PDGA measurements. The official conversion table in section 805 of the rules is to be used for any rulings.

Chuck Kennedy said:

You should see what I whip out when I want to measure 10 meters...

chiggins said:
Chuck Kennedy said:

Damn! So do you know what the scenario was? Were they hoping to jump from 30.01, or hoping to call someone else on a falling putt?

I've actually seen circles painted on the ground for tournaments that were clearly not very accurate. If somebody has a killer jump putt, then why not double check?

Sometimes I'm surprised at how close 33feet really is. There is a nice little debate going on over at the NEFA page about extending the circle past 33 feet.